What's new

New Receiver or add amp (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Elinor,

I agree with you 99%. 6.1, 7.1, 9.1..or whatever else is out there is completely unneccessary in my mind. However, I do think the difference between PL and DD is quite huge but that is of course my opinion against yours. I think the center channel alone in DD is enough reason to use it...

Cheers,

Perry

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
Elinor, No matter what fabulous type of amplifier you are using, various sound fields can make a dramatic difference in perceived audio quality. No one sound field is perfect for every type of application. Many are as different as night and day and are not just “gimmics”.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"I think the center channel alone in DD is enough reason to use it... "

Perry, Prologic does have a discrete Center Channel. The diff. between Prologic and DD is the in DD, the rear surrounds are discrete left and right, and they are full frequency range sound as opposed to limited range.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
No offense Elinor, but you are in the very, very small minority on this one. You would completely change your mind on this if you could experience DTS-ES Discrete in you listening environment, or even PL2 for that matter. And while not everyone needs 7.1 speaker setup, many have benefitted greatly because of our room dimensions. My current receiver, the Yamaha 5760, can overlay DPL2x over DD & DTS, and let me tell you, the effect is stunning! I was the same as you when it came to 6.1 Matrix, THX EX and Surround EX. I didn't feel that they offered enough improvement to justify me upgrading, but DPL2x is the real deal, and a reason to actually upgrade to 7.1 IMO. Not everything is a "scam" or a "gimmick". If you applied your reasoning to transportation, you'd still be riding around in a horse driven cart.:) My advice to you is not to knock it until you've at least heard it.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Elinor,

Gotcha on the rear channels, but I was always under the impression PL was 2.0 while the center and 2 rear channels were matrixed in by the receiver... Learn something everyday.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Yes, that is my understanding too. With sophisticated filtering in the processor, the bleed from front left and right can be eliminated.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Perry, Prologic is sometimes called "4.1" because there is (however derived) L + C + R + Surround + LFE.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"If you applied your reasoning to transportation, you'd still be riding around in a horse driven cart. My advice to you is not to knock it until you've at least heard it. "

Kevin, you may be right. But I guess where I'm coming from is: when you invest in, say, a BMW 5-series, the fact that Saturns now offer a GPS system just doesn't do much to quicken the pulse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks