What's new

Receiver or Seperates? (1 Viewer)

Bluefish

Auditioning
Real Name
Gareth
Hi Guys,

I came across this forum by chance and really liked the Beginners section and the advice provided so I joined up (even though I live in Ireland).

I am currently getting to the final stages of a new build and I am deciding on the elements of my home cinema set up going forward. I have a budget of about $650 for a receiver and I presume for that I wouldnt get decent seperates? The question is should I wait and buy seperates at a later date?

I am sinking speakers into the ceiling and walls so I dont need a system with speakers. There are a couple of features that I saw on receivers recently that I really liked:

~ Two zone audio functionality
~ Audio sync control
~HDMI pass through
~Network control

I would appreciate any advice you guys could provide in relation to Receiver or Seperates, and then potential best buys for each. I have read through various posts about the topic on here - but when you put a budget against it the answer may change.

Thanks

Bluefish

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As the owner of a Yamaha RX-A1010 i have been converted into a fan of their amps, i think there are many models within the $650 budget that will fit your criteria but i'll put forward this Yamaha amp below, don't buy into the watts output, every brand exaggerates the power.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A720-7-2-Channel-AVENTAGE-Receiver/dp/B0087KGLEO/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1367926811&sr=8-26&keywords=yamaha+av+receiver

It's $629, its got a number of features that you want on it and i think the sound quality will be excellent, you can even have the Yamaha switched onto standby and it will pass a signal through the HDMI port, a lot of receivers expect you to switch them on to pass the signal through.

Bluefish

Auditioning
Real Name
Gareth
Hey FoxyMulder,

Thanks for the reply. I really like that Yamaha receiver that you linked in your response. It has pretty much all the functionality that I had in my post.

My only question is would it be powerfull enough to service two to three rooms?

Thanks for the help

Bluefish

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Bluefish said:
Hey FoxyMulder,

Thanks for the reply. I really like that Yamaha receiver that you linked in your response. It has pretty much all the functionality that I had in my post.

My only question is would it be powerfull enough to service two to three rooms?

Thanks for the help

Bluefish
Zone 2 would take power away from the main zone so that would be 5.1 channel and 2 channel for zone 2, from the manual.

Intelligent Amp Assign automatically assigns amplifier channels to certain speakers, depending on what functions are selected. For example, in a 7.2-channel system, when Zone 2 is off, all 7.1 channels will be used in the Main Zone. However, when Zone 2 is on, power to the two Surround Back channels will be directed to the two speakers and sub in Zone 2, and the Main Zone will receive 5.1 channels of power.

So unfortunately you cannot get 7.1 sound and zone 2.1 sound, its a compromise at this price point, you would need a 9 channel amp for 7.1 sound and 2.1 channel to zone 2 and those amps cost a lot more money.

It won't do three rooms.

Bluefish

Auditioning
Real Name
Gareth
I think I know the answer to this already... but here goes anyway ;) :

I presume if you combined the speaker cables from different rooms and then attached to the receiver the sound would be way below sub par?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No it won't be "subpar", cause the AVR has Intelligent Amp Design.If you don't understand Intelligent Amp Design, it means fhe amps are intelligent.Onkyo started it, everybody else is following suit.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How many rooms and speakers do you want to hook up, might be better going for 2 AV Receivers if its a lot, just noticed you are Ireland, so potentially you could buy this one instead, the other one isn't available in the UK and Ireland.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=yamaha%20av%20receiver&sprefix=yamaha+av%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ayamaha%20av%20receiver

Or this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AVR3313-AV-Receiver-Black/dp/B009WLG1IS/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1367940239&sr=1-8&keywords=denon+av+receiver

Or this one.

http://www.hificorner.co.uk/home-cinema/av-amps/marantz-sr6007-av-amplifier.html

The Denon and Marantz are alike with regards their innards but i think Marantz tunes differently and might edge it for sound.

Bluefish

Auditioning
Real Name
Gareth
Thanks for the UK link. Its the Yamaha RXV673 that I am looking for so.

I was looking to have the potential of the same home cinema in two rooms with the potential for audio in two different locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks