What's new

recievers verses seperates (1 Viewer)

luckydoggoldminer

Auditioning
Real Name
jim king
IM NEW HERE BUT I WANTED TO PUT IN MY TWO CENTS WORTH. IVE BEEN AN AUDIO PHILE SINCE I WAS ABOUT EIGHT.IM NOW 49.MY FATHER WAS A BIG WIG IN THE SOUND AND VIDEO DEPT AT ABC,THEY CALLED IT MASTER CONTROL.HE HAD OLD 1950s JBL EQUIPMENT AND SHERWOOD TUBE STUFF.SOUNDED LOUD AND CLEAN. THEN HAD A CHANCE TO GROW UP NEXT TO PROFESSOR KEITH JOHNSON OF SPECTRAL AUDIO AND REFERENCE RECORDING FAME.BOY DID THAT WAKE ME UP. HE HAD ELECTROSTATICS AND HOME MADE WOOFERS .I THINK HE HAD CLOSE TO SIXTEEN 8 INCH DRIVERS ALL RUN OFF A HOMEMADE 1000 WATT AMP. IT WAS AMAZING TO HEAR A REAL BAND OR THE BEATLES OFF HIS AMAZING THREE CHANNEL REAL TO REAL.HIS PREAMP WAS AN EARLY SPECTRAL UNIT THAT HAD A FLAT FREQ TO PROBABLY 500K. I DROVE HIM CRAZY WITH MY STEREO OF THE WEEK DIET.WHAT WAS OK THIS WEEK WAS GONE THE NEXT AND THEN CHANGED SOME THIRTY OR SO TIMES.MARANTZ PRE AMP TUNERS WITH SELF POWERED SPEAKERS, KENWOOD SEPERATES AND THEN SAE STUFF.THEN YAMAHA SEPERATES AND MAGNEPANS ECT. I LEARNED OUT THE HARD WAY THAT IT WAS REALLY JUST ABOUT THE SPEAKERS.THE NEXT MOST IMPORTANT THING WAS POWER.LOTS OF CLEAN DC POWER.THEN SOURCE MATERIAL. A GOOD SETUP I HAD WAS A MAGNEPAN TYMPANI 1B,YAMAHA B2,AND C2.THE TURNTALE WAS A NEWER A.R WITH A DENON THEN A SLEEPING BEAUTY CARTRIDGE. GREAT TWO CHANNEL SOUND!!!THEN THE HOME THEATRE STUFF HAPPENED.THAT CREATED A MESS. I WOULD NOT GIVE UP MY COOL SYSTEM FOR THEATRE GARBAGE. SO I COMPROMISED NOTHING.I PURCHASED A YAMAHA B2X AND C2X AND SONY 608 ES CD PLAYER.THEN I BOT A SERIES OF YAMAHA INTEGRATED THEATRE AMPS THAT EVENTUALLY BECAME THE DSP A1.THE SPEAKERS EVENTUALLY WERE MAGNEPAN TYMPANI 4s and small MAGNEPANS FOR THE REARS. ALL THE WHILE I WAS TO BECOME BEST OF FRIENDS WITH THE LAST JBL SPEAKER DESIGNER OF THE ORIGINAL COMPANY BEFORE HARMON ...........WELL ...ANYWAYS HIS NAME IS GUY VERALRUD AND HE RUNS A COMPANY THAT DESIGNS HIGH END SPEAKERS.HE BUILT ME SOME WICKED FAST SUBS AND AMAZING CENTER CHANNELS. THE POINT I WANT TO STRESS IS THAT ONE MUST BUY THE VERY VERY BEST SPEAKERS ONE CAN FIND .EITHER NEW OR USED. GOOD LUCK FINDING ANYTHING NOT MADE IN CHINA.THAT INCLUDES VERY FEW SPEAKERS. POLK, BOSTON,INFINITY AND.JBL ARE AMONG THE MAJOR BRANDS NOW MADE IN CHINA. MAGNEPAN IS STILL MADE HERE IN THE STATES. THERE ARE OTHERS.THEN BUY THE BEST OLD YAMAHA OR KENWOOD,OR OTHER MID SEVENTIES JAPANESE SOLID STATE SEPERATES UP TO ABOUT 1980.THEN IT WENT TO HELL. SAE AND SOUNCRAFTSMAN AND PHASE LINEAR WERE GOOD BUT TRY FIXING IT TODAY.THE JAPANESE STUFF WAS WELL BUILT AND MEANT TO LAST.THEN YOU CAN BUY A HIGH QUALITY THEATRE RECIEVER AND USE IT FOR ONLY THE CENTER AND SURROUNDS. USE THE PRE OUTS FOR ONLY THE FRONTS IN CASE YOU WANT TO USE YOU HI FI SPEAKERS FOR THE FRONT THEATRE AS WELL AS YOUR HI FI. FOR YEARS I USED MY HIGH END AUDIO SYSTEM FOR THE MAIN SPEAKERS. MAGNEPAN TYMPANIS ARE THE BEST OUT THERE TO THROW A HUGE SOUNDSTAGE.ONLY THEY HAVE NOT BEEN MADE FOR OVER EIGHTEEN YEARS. SO USE THE FRONT PRE OUTS TO GO TO A SEPERATE AMP.USE A TAPE RECORD OUT ON THE RECIEVER AND INPUT TO TAPE PLAYBACK ON YOUR PREAMP.THIS WAY YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS.STILL HAVE THE HI FI AND TOLERATE THE GARBAGE THEATRE COMPRESSED SOUND ONLY WHEN YOU HAVE TOO. THE RECIEVER WILL DO JUST FINE FOR THE CENTER AND SURROUNDS.THANKS FOR LETTING ME PUT MY TWO CENTS WORTH OF ADVICE INTO THE FRAY

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
What I want to know is: What was that all about? Also, if he knows so much about what he was carrying on about, shouldn't he know how to spell receiver?!

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
I gotta say that post was hard on my eyes...not to mention a confusing array of of points/opinions which rambled all over the place.

And it wouldn't have hurt to throw a couple of paragraphs in there to break up that mumbo-jumbo.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Wow, a thinly disguised anti-China rant! I almost missed it with all the shouting.

Oh, and apparently old reel-to-reel and vinyl sound better than CD and 5.1 material??? I must get me some of the stuff he's smoking, it would save me a whole lot of money.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Wow, I haven't seen such a blatant and stupid troll post in a long time. You go, dude! :laugh:
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Kevin A

Grip
Real Name
Kevin Ansberry
I'm new here, too....and I'm 49. :eek:

But I try to at least remember punctuation when I post. ;)

Reading the OP's comments was a challenge...with no payoff.

luckydoggoldminer

Auditioning
Real Name
jim king
The reciever verses seperates game is rather complicating. It all depends on money, dedication and wife factor. A reciever cannot possibly sound high end because there are too many compromises. If you have to start with a reciever, then do so with one that has pre amp outs for all the channels. That way you can use an additional amp to power the channels with the best speakers. A good system i put together years ago was a YAMAHA DSP 1 for the reciever end. I then used YAMAHA power amps for the front and rear channels. I used the dsp1 to power the center channel. The front speakers were magnepan tympanis and the rears were smg-cs. The center channel was also a smgc. my amps were the yamaha b2x and m4. I used a yamaha c2x for the pre amp two channel stuff. Also i used a sony 608 cd player. Basically i could listen to my high end system then use the processor for theater movies. Today there are companys such as Emotiva that offer decent high powered amps for the sole purpose of doing what i just described. They also sell processors. For a about 2k you could put together a used system that would sound good. Even a thousand could get you a good starter system if you were careful. good luck! AND AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED. ALL YOU IDIOTS THAT WANT TO POST HATE SHIT WHEN I WAS JUST PUTTING IN MY INFORMATION TO SHARE, ARE BRAIN DEAD, POT SMOKING ,LIBERAL , ASSHOLES WHO HAVE NEVER LISTENED TO ANYTHING BUT THE NOISE COMING OUT OF THEIR REAR END! I COULD GIVE A SHIT ABOUT WHETHER YOU CARE OR NOT. I HAVE OR HAVE HAD THE BEST SOUNDING SYSTEMS ANY BODY WOULD WANT. I KNOW IT AND THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. I HAVE TWO OF THE INDUSTRYS BIGGEST NAMES AS FRIENDS AND THROUGH EXPERIENCE LEARNED WHAT IS BEST FOR THE MONEY AND THE WORST. SO ALL YOU ASSHOLES GET A LIFE AND ENJOY YOUR 500 DOLLAR RADIO SHACK AUDIO SYSTEMS.

luckydoggoldminer

Auditioning
Real Name
jim king
KEITH JOHNSON IS THE MAN BEHIND REFERENCE RECORDINGS. HE USES A SPECIAL THREE CHANNEL REEL TO REEL RECORDER. NOT COMPRESSED GARBAGE SUCH AS A C.D OR WORSE. THE ORDER OF MUSIC QUALITYIN PLAYBACK I IS 1. REEL TO REEL 2. TURNTABLE 3. C.D PLAYER OR DVD PLAYER 4. MINI DISC. 5 .CASSETTE 6. MP3 AS YOU GO DOWN THE LIST THE MUSIC GETS COMPRESSED AND BECOMES MORE UNLISTENABLE. KEITH KNOWS THIS AND SO DO EVERY AUDIO PERSON OUT THERE WORTH A DAMM. YOUNG PEOPLE DONT KNOW ABOUT RECORD PLAYERS CAUSE THEY ARE NOT OPEN TO THE TRUTH. NO COMPRESSED AUDIO FORMAT IS GOING TO SOUND AS GOOD AS AN UNCOMPRESSED ONE. SIMPLE FACT. STOP MAKING STUPID COMMENTS ABOUT THINGS YOU WERE IN DIAPERS ABOUT WHEN THEY WERE KING.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks