What's new

New Pet Sounds release - worth buying? (1 Viewer)

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson
I was in my local music store yeaterday and saw a new 40th anniversary cd/dvd package of The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds".

I already own:

the 1990(?) re-release which has has a remastered mono mix plus bonus tracks

The Box set which has Stereo and Mono versions plus a ton o' out-takes and alternate versions - I believe this was a HDCD release but perhaps someone can confirm that as I am at work and can't go look at the box:P

The DVD-A version which has a 5.1 mix

I also have the (ahem) "unnoficial" Sea of Tunes 8-disc Pet Sounds set.

Is there anything on this new release to warrant another purchase?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious if this 40th anniversary version includes the vocals-only versions of each song...I listened to a few samples on iTunes and would love to get those on disc.

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson
The vocals only versions are included with the box set and they are breathtaking to listen to. This version is still available (I think, might have been deleted to make way for new version) retails for around £40 here in the UK don't know about the US.

As far as I know these tracks are not included with this version just mono/stereo/5.1 versions of complete tracks. Having given this set the once over in the music store it looks pretty much like a compilation of the old mono/stereo mixes along with the 5.1 mix from the dvd-a version. The packaging claims that the tracks are now in HDCD for the first time ...but the box set is also HDCD and it was released in 1999 - is there a newer, better version of HDCD I haven't heard about?

Anyway, hope that helps

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, there is also the DVD video stuff. I don't know if that stuff is available elsewhere.

For someone who didn't own any version of "Pet Sounds", it was a good deal at $17.99.

Jason

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson

Oh, absolutely. If you didn't have any other version then this is pretty much all you would ever need. Although in saying that, the out-takes and vocals only stuff on the box set is pretty awesome if you want to explore the album further - The NME music paper here in the UK called it "thunderously anal" which it is, but in a good way ;)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably buy the vocal versions on iTunes then and the new remastered collection with mono and stereo versions...thanks for the info, Bill.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
The 5.1 on the new CD/DVD combo package however is just Dolby 5.1 so for those (like me) who prefer high resolution then stick with the DVD-A release. :D

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson
For what its worth allofmp3.com has the sessions tracks for download at a very reasonable rate as they charge by MB of data rather than per song. You also have the option to choose how the file is encoded and what bitrate you want.

Dan Buckley

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel
The first disc is the same as the one that was released in 1999. The second disc has the album in Dolby Digital 5.1 which is probably the same mix as the DVD-A version. It also has the album in Hi-Res 96kHz/24-bit PCM stereo with Hang On to Your Ego in Hi-Res 96kHz/24-bit PCM mono. In the Hi-Res verion the songs open up more and sound fuller. It sounds really good and that's only on my little computer surround system. The video stuff is pretty good too. A lot of promotional films for the songs which are interesting and some interviews.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Bill,

Sounds like you are missing the new stereo mix of "Wouldn't It Be Nice" with Mike Love singing the bridge. If you remember on the Pet Sounds "Sessions" box set, they had Brian singing the bridge on the stereo mix because they couldn't find Mike's track isolated. Apparently, the classic rock/oldies radio stations in Los Angeles switched to the stereo mix. Mike Love heard it and went ballistic and demanded Capitol put his vocals back in. Capitol "fixed" this on the 1999 reissue and it's also "fixed" on this version, but it's still Brian on both the DVD-A and DVD from this set 5.1 mixes. I'm not sure what method they used to put Mike's vocals back in there but it sounds good to my ears.

The folks over at Stevehoffman.tv claim that this new mono version is superior to any of the others except for the DCC Gold Disc.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Picked up the new 40th set, really enjoying it. Always been a Beach Boy fan, but never really purchased anything, thought this would be a good way to dive in. I normally would have went for the DVD-Audio, but I liked the idea of having a copy of the CD to have for my car as well.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
did anyone pick up the new vinyl versions of this record.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks