What's new

Billy Joel: Live At Yankee Stadium (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In Celebration of Billy Joel performing for 50 years, There is a special theatrical presentation of the documentary Billy Joel: Live at Yankee Stadium Sunday October 9th.

The one and only time I saw Billy live was during a performance of this tour.

"In celebration of 50 years of Billy Joel, one of the most iconic concert films of all time, “Live At Yankee Stadium,” is coming to cinemas for a special two-night global fan event. Shot live on 16mm color film on June 22 and 23, 1990, at the iconic Bronx stadium, the original concert has been re-edited in stunning 4K with Dolby ATMOS® audio^ and newly mixed from the original multi-track tapes by Jay Vicari and overseen by Billy’s long time sound engineer Brian Ruggle. The new version includes a never-before-released performance of “Uptown Girl,” interviews with Billy Joel, and behind-the-scenes footage from the event’s production. The hit-filled set list also includes “Piano Man,” “We Didn’t Start The Fire,” “New York State Of Mind,” “Scenes From An Italian Restaurant,” “Shout,” and more.

Presented by Trafalgar Releasing and Sony Music Entertainment’s Premium Content division on Wed., Oct. 5 and Sun., Oct. 9*, tickets for “Live At Yankee Stadium” go on sale on Wed., Aug. 10 at 10:00 a.m. EDT at www.BillyJoel.Film."

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm back and it was a great show. Picture looked incredible for a concert shot on 16mm. I have this on DVD somewhere and I definitely think they re-edited it as I remember a lot more shots of Christie Brinkley. She is shown in two shots during the concert both during Uptown Girl and once during the end credits.

I could have done with 10 more dB on the sound as I could hear everything but it wasn't nearly as immersive as it should have been.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Now available in a Blu-Ray / 2 CD combo pack. Audio is Atmos.
Awesome. Love the "Piano Man." The Amazon page doesn't mention the Blu Ray but it's shown in the product pic when you select it. Also unclear what's on the Blu Ray as the track list treats this like a 3 disc CD collection.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Awesome. Love the "Piano Man." The Amazon page doesn't mention the Blu Ray but it's shown in the product pic when you select it. Also unclear what's on the Blu Ray as the track list treats this like a 3 disc CD collection.

The stuff listed as Disc 3 is the Blu-Ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So only those songs are in Atmos?

Right.

Discs 1 & 2 are standard audio CDs which include a complete set list from the Yankee Stadium shows. It runs about two hours.

Disc 3 is a Blu-ray of all the songs filmed for the concert movie (they didn’t film the entire show), with your choice of PCM 2.0, Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and Dolby Atmos. It runs about 80 minutes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think I used to have this on VHS.

I definitely did - ten year old me convinced the local Blockbuster to sell me their rental copy as a used VHS!

They completely re-edited the show. The original VHS version (which was later put on DVD) had a lot of MTV-style quick edits and tons and tons of crowd shots. This new version rebuilds the show from the original 16mm footage and eschews quick cuts and crowd shots in favor of footage of the band performing. (The booklet in this release even reveals that since there were two concerts held at the venue, the production crew was instructed to shoot pretty much only the crowd on the first night, and focus on the band the second night - that’s a lot of crowd!)

While it’s a little disappointing that they didn’t see the value of filming the entire performance back in 1990, seeing what they did shoot edited in a more neutral, less stylized format really allows the performances to shine in a way they didn’t in the original edit. The new audio mix, both in surround on the concert movie and in stereo on the audio CDs, is magnificently clear and detailed compared to what it used to be.

It’s great to now have a full audio performance from this tour in pristine condition. I’m always in favor of more Billy Joel releases. This stuff is all part of my DNA as a Long Islander.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I definitely did - ten year old me convinced the local Blockbuster to sell me their rental copy as a used VHS!

They completely re-edited the show. The original VHS version (which was later put on DVD) had a lot of MTV-style quick edits and tons and tons of crowd shots. This new version rebuilds the show from the original 16mm footage and eschews quick cuts and crowd shots in favor of footage of the band performing. (The booklet in this release even reveals that since there were two concerts held at the venue, the production crew was instructed to shoot pretty much only the crowd on the first night, and focus on the band the second night - that’s a lot of crowd!)

While it’s a little disappointing that they didn’t see the value of filming the entire performance back in 1990, seeing what they did shoot edited in a more neutral, less stylized format really allows the performances to shine in a way they didn’t in the original edit. The new audio mix, both in surround on the concert movie and in stereo on the audio CDs, is magnificently clear and detailed compared to what it used to be.

It’s great to now have a full audio performance from this tour in pristine condition. I’m always in favor of more Billy Joel releases. This stuff is all part of my DNA as a Long Islander.
I remember not really liking the version released on VHS because it looked like they had dropped frames to give it an odd staccato appearance.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember not really liking the version released on VHS because it looked like they had dropped frames to give it an odd staccato appearance.

Yeah it wasn’t my favorite of the VHS tapes for that reason. The new BD is much better in that regard but you can still see that occasionally in some shots.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am glad to hear the film has been re-edited. I have the DVD, and honestly cannot watch it due to all those quick cuts. I ripped the audio from the DVD to MP3 so I can listen to the concert, but have not played the video in years. I will have to add this BD / CD combo to my wishlist. Thanks, Josh. :cheers:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As a follow up, I received this BD / CD set for Christmas. The video editing is a huge improvement over the old version I had on DVD. The set list is longer, too. I believe this is the same tour where my wife and I saw Joel perform at The Palace of Auburn Hills. Well worth the upgrade.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For those who weren't aware, Billy Joel just released his first single in 17 years 'Turn The Lights Back On'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks