What's new

new pb2+ (1 Viewer)

jan/m

Auditioning
hello everyone, this is my first post :). a few questions. i should be receiving my new svs tomorrow and have purchased the new matrix, the haunting and gladiator for the ocassion. my listening room is approx. 17 x 26 and i often listen at/or near reference. should i follow any break in procedures prior to listening at above material at reference?? plus im thinking of plugging one port, w/ XO set at 20HZ, do you think i can safely obtain reference in that configuration in my size room. btw, i did read edward's review of the pb2+, which was one of the factors which led me in purchasing it. thanks everyone in advance.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
In short, corner load the sub near the listening position and away from permanent openings if you can.

Calibrate with Avia to 85 dB on all speaker channels, and 83 dB on the sub.

If you are going to be pushing hard, definitely use the 25 Hz tune (3 ports open, tune switch to 25). It will dig plenty deep in this tune and will play the loudest and hit the hardest.

Not all DVDs are recorded at the same level. Do not assume that the same Master Volume setting will provide the same playback levels - not even close.

If you want to determine if you are at/near Reference Level, use your ears and your SPL meter on c-weighted fast. Add about 4 dB to whatever the meter is reading on bass peaks. When you are hitting bass peaks in the 115-116 dB region (about 111-112 dB on the meter), you are pretty close to Reference Level, at least with respect to the LFE channel. Playback levels can go even higher (maybe near 120 dB corrected, or 115-116 on the meter) on occasion if there is a simultaneous bass hit in the speaker channels and in the LFE channel, but that is pretty rare.

Enjoy your new toy!

WayneO

Supporting Actor
You should be able to run it in 20hz tune at ref level in that room no problem. No break-in necessary, but some say sound improves with time. I never really noticed with mine. Power it up and calibrate, toss in a movie and enjoy.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
INstead of starting a new thread I figure I will ask my question here. I currently have a 20-39cs+ powered by a samson 1000. but I just bought a house and the new room will be 20x14. Just wondering if this sub will be enough to fill the room. I am used to a 12x12 room so I will need the same bass results. any info would be great.

-Brian

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I could bottom my 20-39PC+ in a similar sized room with large openings and about -5db under reference volume......so if you listen fairly loud at times you may want another for headroom.

jan/m

Auditioning
well my sub is at a wherehouse 60 miles away and they say they wont deliver it until next monday, and its been there for two days already :angry: so i will be picking it up myself on friday, since one more weekend w/o bass is unacceptable.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

Ah, I feel your pain.

[old story]
I purchased my PB2+ in August, 2003, while I was deployed overseas. It sat in my buddies' spare room until January 2004, when I got back.

As soon as I got back...I got sent TDY again, for three months. I moved the PB2+ to a storage unit...which is where it still is, unopened, unused, in the box. :rolleyes

I will be in my new digs by mid-May. I'll finally get to use it.

[/old story]

So, brother; I feel your pain.

Now, go get your sub and crank that puppy up!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

jan/m

Auditioning
chad, i do have a digital camera, so i will post pictures when its all set up. i will have to figure out how to post them then.

michael and i thought i had bass problems. lol. come home safe!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
jan/m,

As mentioned here, just be sure to calibrate the output with Avia or similar test tone on a sound meter before you go for the gusto. Personally, I would leave the ports unblocked for a few days and see how you like it, then block them and try it again. I had 1 port on my 20-39 PC+ blocked initially, after going back and forth I found the unblocked (stock) configuration was better for me. I don't know, seems to be fuller and a little more effortless unblocked.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, jan/m. I am home now, thankfully. Back in TX for the next two weeks...some down time until I move to my next duty station. :)

"The Middle East" was bad...but Mississippi was worse. ;) I hate crawfish. :P Glad to be back in TX...MMMM! Fajitas!!

jan/m

Auditioning
well everyone, i picked it up today and calibrated to 79db w/ avia. with that setting my surrounds are almost maxed out, w/ the frt's and center being about two thirds. my sub is 80 to 81db. subs gain is exactly the 2nd notch from 0 and the receivers gain is way low (-9 db). played around w/ ports/xo a little, not enough to know exactly what i will prefer, but settled on all ports open w/ a 2o hz x/o setting for now. played sub for three hours w/ loud music w/ 70 hz x/o setting for breakin, prior to going reference+ w/ movies. then pod race (a couple of times!!) and then the new matrix. and yes, it is the most amazing bass i have ever experienced in movies, including all theaters i have been to. there are two places in the pod race and the machine voice in the matrix, which are absolutely stunning. music is not as good, but i did not buy this sub for music, that is what my car is for!. thanks everyone for their input and thanks to all the svs guys who made the pb2+ so affordable for me to have something this awesome.:emoji_thumbsup:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Glad you are loving it. Realize a mismatched port/tune switch configuration (e.g., 3/20) can increase the chances of bottoming the drivers at extreme playback levels. Use common sense with the Master Volume control and you should be OK, but be on the look-out for distress on heavy passages.

For music, try a 75-76 dB calibration level. A sub for music needs to be calibrated flat or even a little cool to blend well. I run my PB2-Ultra at 81 dB (vs. 85 speakers) and it's just perfect on music.

Ed

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jan,

To echo what Ed said, keep in mind your Denon receiver allows for wholly different bass calibration levels for different playback modes. Direct, Stereo, 5 channel stereo all have their own memory settings for each applicable channel and the sub. I rarely find a "one size fits all" setting to work for me on Matrix and Metallica.

Make sure too (not sure of that Denon offers this) that you don't have LFE/Bass going to "Subwoofer + Mains". This will tend to load lots of stress and distortion on them when the sub is there to relieve them of this entirely.

Chances are with a bit more tweaking you will get used to the depth and accuracy on music that was missing previously. It can take some getting used to, and adjusting the level of music playback modes for the sub will help immensely in that regard.

Ron

jan/m

Auditioning
hello everyone, one day gone by and little more tuning has yielded slightly better results for music. music played so far has been concert dvds, nine inch nails and ac/dc. receiver is in pro logic and mains are switched to small. i have been listening to car sealed enclosures w/big power for many years and prefer the sealed sound, opposed to ported, reference the type of music i listen to, it is more dynamic/tactile experience to me. also, i certainly have a lot of acoustic problems in my house, pictures on walls, dishes in cabinets, etc, which make themselves known in a "big" way w/ mr pb2+. but in all fairness, i have not ever heard a pb2+ in a 50 sq foot listening space
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
though my music now at home is pretty awesome, but it still pales in comparison to h/t. i rate music in my listening room at 8.2 and h/t 10.2. one happy camper!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks