New Outlaw subwoofer!?!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by james e m, Jun 8, 2003.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Wow, I love competition! I just read this information from the Outlaw newsletter. This is great news for me because I am in the market for a new sub!
    James

Straight from the horses mouth:

Sneaking in under the competition’s radar, the Outlaws announced a second new
    product in San Francisco. Perhaps the most frequently asked question we receive
    that does not deal directly with our own products is “What type of speakers do
    you recommend for use with Outlaw electronics?” Very shortly we’ll be able to
    have a new answer to that question when it comes to one category of speakers,
    subwoofers.

On view for the first time at the HE Show was Outlaw’s first speaker product,
    our Low Frequency Module, better known now as the LFM-1. Many of you know that
    the Outlaws have considerable experience in the world of speakers, and we’ve
    brought that knowledge to bear on the LFM-1. However, just to make sure that we
    have all bases covered, we engaged Dr. Po Ser Hsu, world renowned for his
    subwoofer designs and technology, to work with us on the LFM-1.

This is also a totally new, totally Outlaw, totally unique product, based around
    a 12-inch die cast driver in combination with a 350 watt amplifier and a
    downward firing, ported cabinet design. The result is a combination that is
    projected to deliver over 115 SPL from 20 Hz to 100 Hz. The unit weighs in
    excess of 75 pounds so it is unlikely to move, but we advise you to secure all
    other fragile objects in your listening room, as the LFM-1 will literally shake
    the house!

Working with Dr Hsu, we chose a 25 Hz system design. When room gain is taken
    into account and proper placement of the LFM-1 is made, the unit will be flat to
    20 Hz,

As with the RR 2150, we’re still a bit away from delivery, as the first
    shipments of the LFM-1 are planned for some time this fall. However, since we
    know that many of you plan your upgrades in advance, we decided to announce the
    LFM-1 at this time so that you may consider it for future system use.

The price for this remarkable subwoofer will be under $600. In the true Outlaw
    tradition, this will make the LFM-1 a tremendous value unmatched by anything
    even close to that price.

We’ll provide more details on the LFM-1 on the web site in a week or so, along
    with pictures of the model that was displayed in San Francisco.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The price for this remarkable subwoofer will be under $600. In the true Outlaw
    tradition, this will make the LFM-1 a tremendous value unmatched by anything
    even close to that price.

cough*(SVS PB1-ISD)*cough

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I am a very satisfied customer of both SVS and Outlaw. But I don't even have to see, hear, or read about the Outlaw sub to know where my sub money will be going next week. SVS rules [​IMG]

5. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

While I'm a happy Outlaw owner, this new sub has me scratching my head a bit.

They claim the SUB is flat from 20hz and above. The are using room gain to justify their claim.

Why don't they just say flat from 25hz to 100hz? They make a blanket statement about every room with that. I know this is hair splitting, but still, they should stick to spec'ing their sub instead of my room.

Dustin

6. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

I think there is a formula for calculating room gain.

7. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I think so too, but every room is different thats all. Like I said, I'm nipicking.

DT

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I haven't actually crunched the numbers, but wouldn't it take a 12" driver with more excursion than the Tumult to reach that kind of output level in that size of an enclosure. And even in bulk do you think it could be manufactured cheaply enough to keep the online price at below $600 (with a good plate amp and a well built box).

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

So let all guess, nit-pick, analize, try and figure it all out.

Why dose this always happen.

Blanket statment or not, the only thing that I see is the last line in the email about the LFM.1 sub.
    A very strong statment to make and they know "very well" who are their compitition in this catagory.

======>Quote
    "Unmatched by anything even close to that price"
    ======>End Quote

Wait till the product apears then do your comparisions with hard data against other products, be they Mass market or Internet sold only...

Well they asked for it by making such statements?, YUP they sure did!!!!!

Till it's available, you can analize the shit out of it and it's really pretty meaningless, why, cause it's speculating at best without "ALL the known facts" of the COMPLETE Design, Amp & Driver being used.

Regards
    Geoff

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Geoff,

I agree with you completely. My favorites are asking how SVS' new sub "X" (which no one currently has) will compare to 'n' number of SVS sub(s) Y. My question always is, why the hell post this on the forum? Why not simply send an email to Tom or Ron? After all, anyone that actually responds to the initial post other than Tom or Ron is merely speculating. [​IMG]

12. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Brian,

Part of me always wonders about those kinds of threads as well, but that's part of what's going on in discussion forums. People are discussing their hobbies with each other, and speculation is a common piece of casual conversation. So long as people recognize it's speculation, there's no harm. It's probably even healthy intellectual exercise.

-Robb

13. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

14. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

In response to:

"Many of you know that the Outlaws have considerable experience in the world of speakers, and we’ve brought that knowledge to bear on the LFM-1. However, just to make sure that we have all bases covered, we engaged Dr. Po Ser Hsu, world renowned for his subwoofer designs and technology, to work with us on the LFM-1"

I find the paragraph above to conflict itself. If they truly had the experience needed to build a good sub, they wouldn't have needed to pay Dr. Hsu as a consultant. (you don't think the good doctor did it for free, do you?)

I smell an HSU clone in the works. If it looks anything like their other equipment....it will be a large eyesore.

15. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Yeah Mike, but the question is that this new Outlaw sub performs like the claim why buy a VTF-3? I'll only believe this when it comes out and a few objective reviews are made.

16. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The Dr. Hsu consulting bit may just be smart marketing. The Hsu name carries instant reconition by anyone who has sent more than an hour on audio boards.

17. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Where's Bob?

18. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

19. Doug BW

Doug BW Stunt Coordinator

Brian said:

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Edward,

I totally understand everyone wanting to bench race, especially the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge folks. After all, I did grow up in the South where orange Chevy Novas are seen almost on a daily basis. But I also imagine you won't get much input from the engineers of those companies on internet forums either.

All I'm saying is, if you have "The Man" at your disposal why not use him? I've got nothing against SVS believe me. I think they're great value for the money, especially compared to retail subs. I recommend them to people when I feel they fit their needs. My only gripe is I wish they'd offer a choice of finishes in their lower end lines, where you can have any color you want as long as it's black. [​IMG]