What's new

New Outlaw subwoofer!?! (1 Viewer)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"My only gripe is I wish they'd offer a choice of finishes in their lower end lines, where you can have any color you want as long as it's black."

We're working hard to make your life just a bit easier in that regard Brian. ;^)

It seems black works for many many would-be sub customers, but we're well aware it doesn't work for all. Keeping Made in the USA quality, and keeping it affordable, are the tricky parts.

It shouldn't be too long before we've demonstrated that you can provide both finish variety and still unsurpassed price/performance at the same time. Not that we're trying to compete directly with far East, penny-on-the-dollar labor rates or material costs, but the results of some current efforts in Marketing and R/D depts. at SVS should be pleasing nonetheless.

Ron

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I'm not taking sides in this Outlaw vs. SVS debate ;) but DougBW had me raise an eyebrow or two in all this discussion:

... About SVS' proven track record omitted... Outlaw has a very well established track record for producing electronics, but no track record for producing subs.
Do some research on who the principals are at Outlaw Audio. At least one of them is involved in loudspeaker and subwoofer production.

Try this last name: "Tribeman" in conjunction with: "Outlaw Audio" and "Atlantic Technology".

Of course I've (intentionally) not said anything about the performance of the subwoofer, but I am familiar with some of the people involved in each of the companies.

Regards,

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
John, I was very careful to say that "Outlaw" has no track record, and made no comment about the track records of any individual at Outlaw. (And of course saying Outlaw has "no track record" certainly is not to be interpretted as a prediction that when they do establish one, it will be bad. Hopefully, you didn't read that into my comment.)

It is true that the quality and success of the output of a company is based in part on the talents and skills of the people that work there. But it is also based on the resources available to those that work at the company as well as the priorities and product goals of the company. People don't change when moving between companies, but the environment they work in does. It's not unusual for a hard-working, talented person to be successful at Company A, while being far less (or far more) successful at Company B, despite being equally talented and hard-working.

Indeed, the person you referred to may well repeat or surpass his prior success at Atlantic. But this is not, to date, part of Outlaw's track record. Contrast this to the situation at SVS where Tom Vodhanel has designed and shipped how many subs so far?

A year from now, speculating on Outlaw's next sub may be done on a more even playing field compared to speculating on SVS's next sub. But not today.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Brian said:

All I'm saying is, if you have "The Man" at your disposal why not use him?
One of the most frequently repeated comments I read about Tom V is "does this guy ever sleep?".

New product development/design, heavy production demands, QA/QC, dealing with vendors and suppliers, and answering customer emails leaves precious little time for Tom/Ron to surf Klipsch, AVS, HTF, and SPOT and respond to a bunch of daily posts/questions.

While both Tom/Ron make what seems to be an almost superhuman effort to stay current on the forums, there are limitations to the time they can spend here and still run SVS effectively.

While I've never claimed to fill Tom's huge shoes, I know the product line pretty well and I've got a decent handle on how they stack up against each other - so I help out on HTF when/where I can. It's not much, but if it takes a little pressure off Ron/Tom, I'm happy.

Sure, I bought my 20-39PC+ for cash - but it's hard to put a price on continued customer satisfaction. Helping answer SVS related questions on this forum is one small way of showing them my appreciation for making such a fine product.

Regards,

Ed

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The high output, low distortion market certainly already has some excellent products: SVS, Hsu Research, Paradigm Servo, Velodyne HGS, Vandersteen (had to throw that one in 'cause it's what I have :) ), and I'm starting to see reviews on the James Loudspeaker approach which accomplishes the same thing. But SVS and Hsu seem to have the bang for the buck quotient locked up. It *will* be interesting to see how the Outlaw sub compares, because Outlaw's forte also seems to be very good value for the money.

My impression might be, that they are simply trying to offer an alternative choice for people already in the Outlaw family.

For instance, if I was to choose simply between Hsu and Outlaw, why would I go with Outlaw when I can get one from the guy who Outlaw consulted with? :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
We're working hard to make your life just a bit easier in that regard Brian.
Ron, it really won't make my life any easier, but as someone who does a fair bit of woodworking for a living it will be nice to see some furniture quality finishes. I know the goal thus far has been best bang for the buck, but it'll be nice to see finishes which I feel are up to par with the performance of the subs themselves. Black velour socks and black textured finishes just don't appeal to the woodworker in me. :)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
115 SPL from 25 Hz
12" driver
350W

I'm curious to see this budget sub as well. :) I don't mean to prove anything, but I do want to play with some numbers.

This means a driver would need like 95db sensitivity to output 115db with actual 350 watts from 1 meter away.

Lets say it has an FS of 25hz. And a low Qes of 0.2. That means the Vas has to be over 300L to achieve an SPL of 95db.

Now lets say the Driver has the same xmax as a tumult with an FS of 25hz. That means you'll need a port that's 8" in diameter for "ideal" port noise at high volumes.

A 4cf box tuned to 25hz with an 8" diameter port needs a length 50" long. I guess this means our 12" sub may need passive radiators. :)

I know that these stats don't mean much... I think it would be awsome to see a 95db sensitive driver and amp that can play 25hz at 115DB @ 1 meter with little distortion. Put than in a 12" cube, slap on a $600 price tag, and that would be one nice sub for the masses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks