What's new

New OSCARS Category: "Popular Film" (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can they add a LEAST popular movie category? I know the Razzies do that, but I'd still like to see it on the Oscars!
Razzies award what they perceive as "bad" movies, not necessarily unpopular ones. Their list usually includes many of the year's most popular films at the box office.

Least popular at the Oscars risks giving both that award and Best Pic to the same film, since some BP winners are pretty low grossing (The Hurt Locker only grossed $17m in North America).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Razzies award what they perceive as "bad" movies, not necessarily unpopular ones. Their list usually includes many of the year's most popular films at the box office.

Least popular at the Oscars risks giving both that award and Best Pic to the same film, since some BP winners are pretty low grossing (The Hurt Locker only grossed $17m in North America).

Yeah, I know you're right. I was just trying to cut off "RAZZIES!" comments as a response to my lame joke! ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Although the popular film category is now dead, I suppose this is as good of a place to put this article as any since it is about the upcoming telecast. Variety is reporting (without sources) that Kevin Hart is under consideration for next year's hosting job.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/kevin-hart-host-2019-academy-awards-1203080331/

There are only 82 days between now and the ceremony on February 24, so whoever they choose, they'd better do it fast.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Although the popular film category is now dead, I suppose this is as good of a place to put this article as any since it is about the upcoming telecast. Variety is reporting (without sources) that Kevin Hart is under consideration for next year's hosting job.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/kevin-hart-host-2019-academy-awards-1203080331/

There are only 82 days between now and the ceremony on February 24, so whoever they choose, they'd better do it fast.
Ugh. Bring back Billy Crystal.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, bring back a host no one under the age of 50 has ever heard of instead of a comedian who might actually bring younger viewers to the broadcast. Great plan! :rolleyes:
Like their current plan has been working and viewership is up every year right Colin?:lol:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is there any host they could have named where you wouldn't watch it? I'm not a fan of Kevin Hart, but it's the Oscars. I was always going to be watching it regardless of the host.
I'm down on the Oscars and only DVR'd now and basically skip over a good portion of it. So the answer to your question is yes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was gonna be out anyway, considering I don't have cable. But with Kevin Hart hosting, that seals the deal. I don't find him funny...more repugnant than anything else. I'll be happy spending my time doing something different.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I guess I understand the Academy trying to attract young people to the broadcast and all (of course there are other ways to do that)...but I don't think Kevin Hart is the kind of personality appropriate for handling emcee duties at what is supposed to be a dignified, classy event. There have been many recent choices which I thought were poor.

But like so many of us, I'm at the "who cares" stage at this point of my life. The entire exercise is meaningless and without much consequence (outside of a group of industry's insiders congratulating themselves in a display of empty self-importance).

I will just sit quietly by with my memories of Bob Hope and Johnny Carson (and Billy Crystal).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hugh Jackman did a good job the first time he hosted. They should bring him back again. Though he's probably getting ready for his song/dance tour.

But like others here, I've lost interest over recent years. Unless there's a film or two I enjoy in the competition, I'll probably just check a winner list online rather than watch.

This year I find I'm more curious about who they'll nominate than who might eventually win. Seems like several of the big early darlings have stumbled badly (such as First Man, Beautiful Boy).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hugh Jackman did a good job the first time he hosted. They should bring him back again. Though he's probably getting ready for his song/dance tour.

I read an interview with him in some publication recently -- one of the trades, Variety maybe -- where he said that he would be happy to do it again if he had the time, but you're right that he doesn't this year. Maybe they'll circle back to him in the future.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
How about a pair of hosts?

1) One each from the older and younger generation.
or
2) An actor and actress - both unknown - who, according to SAG records, had worked the most that year as an "Extra".

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Don't ask my opinion about Oscar hosts--I still think this pair did a fine job, but I'm probably the only one.
maxresdefault.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I still think this pair did a fine job, but I'm probably the only one.

Yup. I think you ARE the only one. :laugh:

I used to be a big Letterman fan (back in the '80s). I was thrilled when he got the hosting gig. But he committed the grievous error of trying to make the show all about himself and his own schtick. I was glad he was never brought back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks