What's new

New OSCARS Category: "Popular Film" (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Bring all the nominees for a given category backstage during the category before their own. Then, when their name is called, the winner steps forward to give a speech when they win. That would shave off a lot of the time for them to get to the stage without having to shorten speeches or present awards during commercials.

But it's too simple. So they won't do it.
So deny them being on stage in front of their peers to accept?

That would be horrible. No way.

Or do you mean step on stage when they’re announced?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Or do you mean step on stage when they’re announced?

Yes. Bring all the nominees backstage during the presentation of the previous category. Then, the winner steps forward to accept, which eliminates the period of time where they walk from their seat to the stage.

I don't see anything wrong with maintaining the show as-is, but if they're determined to make cuts, I'd rather they do this than present awards during the commercial breaks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quite often. Long shoot outs and love scenes etc. I do “active” viewing. I sometimes miss the ff button in the movie theatre! With the 1000s and 1000s of hours of media available and with my finate life time, I have no time to force myself to sit through long boring parts.

I used to read every book from cover to cover once I started it, watched every episode of a TV series once I started it, watched every bit of every movie, and never would leave a theatrical presentation at intermission.

A few years ago I realized I was in my 60s, no one was watching over my shoulder to judge me and I got no brownie points for forcing myself through the boring parts of life, so I made a change.

I try now to never watch anything out of obligation or “loyalty”, and now leave a trail of movies I have only seen the first 20 minutes of, tv series I have watched the first 3 of, and unfinished books.

This has allowed me to experience what I find truly valuable and enjoyable.

Do you have a PS3? You can watch DVDs and BDs at 1.5x speed with audio and subtitles. I don't think I ever watched a whole movie that way, but it's fantastic when you are short on time and want to finish something. I really wish my Sony BD player (or even my PS4) had that feature. (I don't watch movies on my PS3 any more because I want to save it for playing PS3 games, and PS3s tend to wear out.)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Do you have a PS3? You can watch DVDs and BDs at 1.5x speed with audio and subtitles. I don't think I ever watched a whole movie that way, but it's fantastic when you are short on time and want to finish something. I really wish my Sony BD player (or even my PS4) had that feature. (I don't watch movies on my PS3 any more because I want to save it for playing PS3 games, and PS3s tend to wear out.)
I use that feature (shared also by my Pioneer DVD player) all the time. It is especially useful for listening to commentary tracks after you have seen the movie.

I hope my PS3 lasts a good long time! We don’t play games, but it is a vital component for my 3D Blu ray library.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah he has one. He’s mentioned fast forwarding thru films on his PS3 a few times.

Still don’t get it. Maybe on films I have seen but films I haven’t?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Yeah he has one. He’s mentioned fast forwarding thru films on his PS3 a few times.

It is actually very rare for me to see a film at home that I have not seen before. Most new films I have seen theatrically and most classics I grew up with.

As I have said before, the ff button is used for things like long love scenes, long shoot outs, special features on disc, and commentary tracks. I don’t always use it, and only for individual viewing. Is that so strange?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

It is actually very rare for me to see a film at home that I have not seen before. Most new films I have seen theatrically and most classics I grew up with.

As I have said before, the ff button is used for things like long love scenes, long shoot outs, special features on disc, and commentary tracks. I don’t always use it, and only for individual viewing. Is that so strange?
Yes:D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not me. I'm totally normal.

92ba82be4fc7eede29b2567bc01890c9--marty-feldman-young-frankenstein%2B%280.00.00.00%29.gif

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Another reason why I don't watch the Oscars.

Same with me -so boring. Popular award oscar ? What is popular in one country is not always popular elsewhere. Some films stay popular for decades every time they are reissued. Does that mean another 'popular' oscar?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
How many voters actually see the films that they are voting for? To many , I imagine. That makes the oscars so fake.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Why all this Black Panther Oscar talk??

It won’t receive any major Oscar nominations. Just technical ones as usual for these films.
Tino,
The talk is just because the Oscars are now part of Hollywood's "politically correct" show.
Reminds me of when MOONLIGHT won for 2017. There's NO WAY I can see this depressing film having won over films like LA LA LAND, HACKSAW BRIDGE, HELL OR HIGH WATER or ARRIVAL.
Since my teenage years I used to religiously watch the Academy Awards telecast, but in the past 2 years I'm not interested in the politics of the Hollywood elite which drives the show. I'll just watch a Blu-ray and switch every once in a while to the telecast to see if anything worthwhile has happened... and I find out that I'm better off going back to my film.
Raul

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I didn't think Moonlight was depressing at all. I mean, it had its dark moments, but overall it was a positive story. (I didn't think it was better than La La Land either, but that's another issue. :) )

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think Moonlight was depressing at all. I mean, it had its dark moments, but overall it was a positive story. (I didn't think it was better than La La Land either, but that's another issue. :) )

I thought "Moonlight" was much better than "LLL", but not as good as "Manchester By the Sea", the movie that should have won!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks