1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New OSCARS Category: "Popular Film"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mike Frezon, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #261 of 283 Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I became aware of it from the trades a few hours ago when the trades started posting about it. I thought it would take longer to play itself out.

I bet the Academy now goes with someone who has done it before who they already know, whose past experience will help them with a relatively short period of prep time.

2. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I'd go with Hugh Jackman if he's able to do it with his tour coming up.

PMF likes this.
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    That is the question, isn't it? I agree about Hugh's quality as host, and I'd love to see him do it again, I'm pretty sure the prep for the tour would nix him from this year. I saw an interview with him a couple days ago about the tour where he said he'd love to do the Oscars again in the future if he had the time, which seems to imply that he doesn't this year

Also, since this discussion has moved well beyond the now-defunct popular film category idea, should the thread be renamed to designate it as just the 2019 Oscars thread or something to that effect? Just putting that out there.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm not surprise about this development as a comedian that spews "R" rated stuff that has crossed the line repeatedly.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Kevin, we hardly knew ye.

I'd be good with Jackman. Or Neil Patrick Harris.

B-ROLL, PMF and Jake Lipson like this.
  6. Message #266 of 283 Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    I would have loved to see Kevin Hart host and make people uncomfortable the way Ricky Gervais did in the Golden Globes.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  7. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Just show clips of Johnny Carson during the show!

8. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    It's gonna have to be someone safe now. Who? I don't know...but someone who will have been vetted up the ying-yang, social media put into hibernation and told to shut their mouths no matter what is said to them.

Is it unfortunate that some comments from the past came back to torpedo Hart's job? Yes, because we've all done stupid stuff like that before. But--and this is a big but--this is yet another example of how words have consequences.

And dear lord, Academy, vette your next host a whole lot more carefully. Anyone could have seen this disaster coming a mile away.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    They should have known better as comedians especially, ones like Hart that push the envelope when it comes to material are going to say things that are insulting to people.

atcolomb likes this.
  10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Exactly. AND...so many of the late night hosts now are overtly political that they will also run the risk of insulting a good portion of the audience (not that, I think, the Academy would care about that too much).

Jack Lemmon hosted it a number of years. Maybe they could convince Tom Hanks to do it...

atcolomb likes this.
  11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'm one of the people he insulted. Good riddance, and replace him with Wanda Sykes.

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Well, the only late night host that ABC would approve is Jimmy Kimmel, since they don't want to put a rival network's host at the center of their big show, and Kimmel is probably uninterested in doing it for a third year straight. It is the Academy's choice, but I think ABC gets to weigh in and would probably have veto power if the Academy proposed giving it to Jimmy Fallon or James Corden, for example. I actually think Corden would do a good job, but that's not going to happen on ABC.

(However, I wonder if Kimmel will do his traditional after-Oscars episode of his show, which he hasn't done for the last two years as he was too busy with hosting duties.)

You know, the way this all went down is super-weird to me. We know the Academy reached out to Kevin Hart and asked him to apologize, or they would have to move on. Then he refused to do that with his rambling video, which would have prompted them to fire him. Then, an hour later, he "removed himself" before he could officially be fired. And THEN he issued the apology anyway!

I think that if he had actually offered his real apology the first time, he might have been able to save face and possibly the job. Because he was defiant about it and in doing so was acting like a jerk, they obviously had to move on. But to fall on his sword regarding not apologizing, and then an hour later apologize anyway after he already lost the gig, is definitely weird and extremely poorly handled on his part.

13. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Yes and no, at least for me. Yes in that had he gotten out ahead of all this, it could have been averted. No in that he's had YEARS to get it right and never bothered. There were some comments here and there about evolving, etc., but some of the things that came back to bite him could easily have been taken down. Then he would have a very plausible argument that while he said those things, the ones he could remove he did and he apologized. But that never happened.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  14. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Oh, it happened yesterday -- he was deleting tweets as this all was making news -- which gives the impression of "I got caught with my hands in the cookie jar," rather than "I did a bad thing."

This is kind of parallel to the whole James Gunn Twitter incident, in that both of them involve old Twitter posts from years ago coming back to haunt them. However, in my opinion, Gunn was upfront about it and acted genuinely repentant. Hart, on the other hand, was trying to dodge the issue, and doesn't come off to me as truly sorry. Of course, Gunn is still fired.

The question now for Hart is, will this incident, and the views expressed in the tweets, impact his popularity at the box office with his fan base, or not?

15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Some Twitter users want Paddington to host. Now THAT I could get behind.

https://movieweb.com/oscars-host-paddington-replace-kevin-hart/

I don't think there's a chance in hell it actually happens. I think it could be technically achievable. -- they've had animated characters present awards before, like when Edna from The Incredibles presented Costume Design in 2004, and one year when Woody and Buzz presented Animated Feature -- but I don't think they will actually do this. But it would be awesome if they did.

16. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck would make a great hosting team, but their best gag writers all died years ago.
    [​IMG]

TravisR likes this.
  17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Maybe...no host?

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/oscars-academy-kevin-hart-replacement-1203084598/

This part of the article isn't that much of a surprise.

But this is.

More at the link.

Also, what do they mean "SNL style?" Even though they have regular cast members, SNL still has a host. So I'm not sure what the idea is there.

18. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    SNL style? "Buzzy" people? You mean like this?

[​IMG]

B-ROLL likes this.
  19. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Fear not. A new host will be announced shortly.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

No way they actually go through with it, but I would love that. A big part of the reason the show runs long every years is all of the host's inane bits that they have to shoehorn in.

Jake Lipson likes this.