What's new

New member checking in (1 Viewer)

Milliron

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Muehleisen
Hi all:

Getting ready to redo my HT setup and I always go to the forums first. I am a fair stereophile, but I am looking to upgrade my old Frankensystem. Thanks for your help!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome but we'll need just a little more information to get you going. :)

Milliron

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Muehleisen
Currently, nothing is set up HT-wise. My old system was a pair of Klipsch RF-3s connected to a Paradigm sub, PSB Image center channel and rear surrounds, with Paradigm center surrounds. An Onkyo TX-SR826 7.1 receiver., and a 55” plasma.

The new system I suspect will be all new

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Currently, nothing is set up HT-wise. My old system was a pair of Klipsch RF-3s connected to a Paradigm sub, PSB Image center channel and rear surrounds, with Paradigm center surrounds. An Onkyo TX-SR826 7.1 receiver., and a 55” plasma.

The new system I suspect will be all new
Your "old" system wasn't at all bad so I assume you're looking for a new and improved experience. A few questions.

1. What's your room size and dimensions?
  2. Is it a dedicated, light controlled room?
  3. What is your approximate budget?

Milliron

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Muehleisen
This is a basement room. Rectangle 24' x 14', 8.5' ceiling. One window, small south facing, with a well, left side of the room. This is a dedicated, dark room. Entrance to the rear, on the right as you face the opposite end. Approximate budget. $5-7.5k+. Need a TV. I would love a projector, but I want 4K and that’s probably not doable right now. Thinking 4k OLED TV, c. 70"

Wires can be run into the walls. This will be primarily a theater system, but I like to watch music video so ability to reproduce quality audio is a must. Interested in Atmos. Thinking either 5.1.4. or 7.1.4.

This is for a family of four. I also need seating. I have an idea of what's out there but need some real world experiences. I'm an audiophile and have a separate 2 channel setup upstairs, but this system is 90% for video.

I am willing to consider all suggestions. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Your room is a bit larger than mine but not significantly. I don't generally make recommendations for specific brands as I feel that's more a matter of preference. You can see what I have in my signature below. For me, it works amazingly well but is probably a bit over budget based on the numbers you provided, especially if you are also factoring in seating.

Remember, you can always take a gradual approach. It will cost you more in the long run but may still be the way to go for you and is no different than when you finance a car or house as opposed to paying cash. Cash up front is always cheaper but not usually practical.

Specifically, I would start with a 1080P projector instead of a huge and expensive OLED, especially since your room is dedicated and light controlled. You can pick these up for amazingly low prices at this point and, since you ultimately want 4K, you might as well consider pre-owned projectors from reputable sources. You should have no trouble finding a nice screen in the $800.00 - $1000.00 range. I actually projected onto a matted wall for years and was amazed at the image quality. I might still be doing this if my current home allowed for it but the wall was damaged from a previous flat panel installation so I bought a dedicated screen, which is [when you're ready] definitely worth the price.

Cheap receivers abound but I would recommend separates for a room like yours and I would put the initial bulk of your budget here along with your speakers since you said you are starting from scratch. As an audiophile, I'm sure you already have some ideas. Later on when you're ready you can always add a 4K projector.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Milliron

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert Muehleisen
Interesting suggestions. I originally wanted to do projection but assumed it would be cost prohibitive. But I’m beginning to see the wisdom to going 1080p initially and simply upgrading the projector when 4K comes down from the stratosphere. This gets me a bigger screen while allowing some future proofing. I’ve seen some really nice screens.

Separates would also be my preference, but I’m not sure even with the reduced cost on the video end I can get into that territory, but it’s worth a look. They’re getting big $$$ for digital sound processors. But I like your ideas. Thanks a million.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks