What's new

New media room (1 Viewer)

Shooter235

Auditioning
Real Name
DC
The family and I are relocating. The new home has a 2nd family room that we have decided to make our "hangout room". Actually the wife wants a formal living room and I want a cool entertainment setup = win/win!!!
The room is 18'Lx14.5'Dx10'H. Viewing distance will be 10'-12'. It has an open entryway at what will be the right rear corner, and has two large windows. I will probably have to live with the open entry, roughly the size of a tall door, but can take measures to cover the windows.
I am a total newb at all of this. I am looking for advice. I am not looking to build a theater, just want to end up with a fairly awesome room to watch movies, play video games, and listen to music. This room will be the main hangout spot for the family. What equipment would make a reasonably nice setup in a room such as this? I'd love to go with something 7.2, just from hearing a system a few times. I am starting from scratch, need everything for the eyes and ears. All I plan on using from my current inventory is the Wii and Xbox.
Should I go with THX certified equipment? I understand the cert does not mean much to most people in the know, but I am not in the know, and was wondering if the cert would at least keep me from mismatching components.
Should I just call in a local pro av shop and let them have at it?
I have a budget of +/- $10K, depending on how much the seating sets me back.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, first welcome to HTF :)
In order for us to help you better lets gather some more information.
Starting with you and your experiances: How technically savy are you?
Can you set the clock on the VCR/Microwave?
Have you ever wired up a surround sound system before?
Can you replace a wall outlet?
are you a certified electrician?
(pick one)
Second; the setup you want.
You mentioned that you don't want a home theater, but you want 7.2. Thats a pretty serious setup. I assume you mean you dont want curtains on the wall and aisle lighting?
How permanent a home is this? Will you move in 5 10 20 or your not moving until its in a casket?
I ask this because if it is a 5 year home you may want to just hide wires under carpet etc rather than in wall installation.
Last question is most important. How much time do you want to dedicate to researching purchasing and setting up this room?
Cuz if that answer is a weekend or less I think you should probably leave it up to the professionals.
Here is a setup I created in a few min...
TV 52" or bigger ~1500 ( I dont want to recommend a tv cuz IDK enough about them...)
Front speakers ~800 http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-OMD15-OMNIPOLAR-Floorstanding-Loudspeaker/dp/B000MWFCS6/ref=sr_1_16?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344617244&sr=1-16 These will be good if there are many people watching as the sweet spot is much larger.
Center ~300 http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-OMDC1-OMNIPOLAR-Center-Channel/dp/B000MWDIKU/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b
Rear/surrounds ~100 x4=400 http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-MX-miniature-High-Performance-Speaker/dp/B001N2TEZG/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344617456&sr=1-10
Reciever: 1200 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXN818/Onkyo-TX-NR818.html?tp=179 Big lots of power and upgradeability.
Subwoofer: ~500http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=2&type=8&spkrID=84
Blu ray PS3 for 250 or http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580BDSP309/Onkyo-BD-SP309.html?tp=171 for 200 ( i would go PS3 if you have kids I know they have an XBOX but they will still appreciate it.)
Wires: Check out Monoprice.com Im sure you could wire this all up for ~300 or 400 including wall outlets etc depending on how into the installation you want to get
That all adds up to 5000... So I'm underbudget
I'm sure you can find some other speakers that are more expensive or you could use that extra 5k to pay someone else to install it for you. I'm available if you need me :)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
alright I forgot some furniture... you are going to need an AV rack and something to hold the TV (wall mount?)
Also you will need some hangers for the rear and surround speakers.
You see how this all starts to add up

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Nick covered a lot of good stuff, here are my thoughts on a few other points from your post.

Shooter235 said:
Should I just call in a local pro av shop and let them have at it?
I have a budget of +/- $10K, depending on how much the seating sets me back.
At that budget, depending on your answer to the first part of Nick's response, having pros handle it is not out of the question. For 10k and doing the work yourself, you can have an absolutely killer system, but that will require lots more work on your part. Hiring pros will kill your budget, but you'd still end up with a decent setup.

Oh, one other thing you mentioned (I've already typed this out, so won't bother trying to add the quote) - but you mentioned something about trying to block the light from windows. I assume this is in consideration of a front projection setup? If you're already worried about light this early in the game, I would suggest skipping the idea of front projector. You really do need light control to get the best performance.

Finally, I'll add that after all is said and done, don't forget to invest in a decent universal remote control. I use a Logitech Harmony remote and think it's money very well spent. It may set you back another couple hundred bucks, but the family will thank you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Some people apparently aren't aware of this...
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-1080P-Output-Upscaling-Converter/dp/B0050RKH2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344621205&sr=1-1&keywords=wii+hdmi
However I've never used one...
The two biggest parts of your purchase should be the couches/chairs and the speakers.
10K is a big budget. I could have a field day, especially considering I have no problem buying used equipment. IF you don't need more than 3 HDMI nor need 3D...that opens you up to 4-5 year old equipment.
Which would include this stuff...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-PR-SC886P-preamp-processor-PR-SC-886-/120965945567?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item1c2a21d8df
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfire-Cinema-Grand-Series-II-Architects-Choice-5-Channel-Amplifier-/140821252083?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item20c999c7f3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAFLER-220A-AMPLIFIER-AFFORDABLE-AUDIOPHILE-HIGH-END-WKS-WITH-NAD-ADCOM-PREAMPS-/261075651174?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3cc9524a66
Best part about those...especially the amps...you'll have them forever...and if(when?) you sell them, you'll get back most(if not all) of what you paid.

Shooter235

Auditioning
Real Name
DC
I'd like to thank everyone for the replies and info. I have been away from the "casual" side of the internet for quite a while due to the labors of starting up a new business and relocating, but I have made a little time to start my media room. It has actually been a type of therapy to get a break from all that stresses me these days!
After putting what free time I could muster into reading, watching, and listening I choose to purchase the following equipment:
Samsung 8000 series 65" TV
Yamaha RX-A3010 Receiver
Klipsch RF-82 II Mains
Klipsch RS-52 II surrounds
Klipsch RB-61 II rear surround
Klipsch RC-62 II center
Klipsch RS-41 II front & rear presence
Klipsch SW-115 Sub
Klipsch SW-308 Sub
2X Monster Power HDP-1850G Pwr conditioner
Cables, Cables, and more Cables!!!
I had the whole thing set up using speaker racks I made from 2X4's. This allowed me to vary speaker placement until I found "my" favorite placement. The room was a complete mess during this time cause I just ran the wires across the floor, but after playing with speaker placement, seating distance, and spending hours messing with picture/sound settings I felt it was ready to tear down and do the final install. I have just started this. Moved in new furniture, hung TV on wall. Free time this weekend will be spent routing speaker wires...............and the list goes on.
A few things I have learned that were surprising to me......1) You can tell a difference in overall sound when you move certain speakers just a few inches. 2) Different people hear very different, or just have different taste in what sounds best! 3) I had to dial the subs way down to get the sound to be "realistic". I liked the sound much better with both subs, but just could not believe it when I kept turning their levels down. 4) Even the big floorstanding speakers sounded better set up as "small" speakers in the reciever with the crossover set correctly. 5) I understand not everyone does, but "I" liked the presence speakers. I did not order them at first, just decided to try a cheap set I had. Then purchased the front set, liked them so much I decided to get the rears!
I think I am going to be very happy with the setup once it's completed. I am glad that I decided to do the install myself, it has been quite a learning experience all the way around.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Shooter235 said:
4) Even the big floorstanding speakers sounded better set up as "small" speakers in the reciever with the crossover set correctly.
(especially #4)

It's always great to see someone new to home theater learn some of these valuable lesson. Congrats on doing the work yourself - as you mentioned, not only do you get a great deal of personal satisfaction with the work, but you really start to understand how all this stuff works together.

Quite a different experience than some folks who just buy something (display included) plug it in, turn it on and leave it be.

You've turned to the dark side, you're now one of us!!!

Shooter235

Auditioning
Real Name
DC
Yes, it has been quite an experience to say the least. Still not completely finished, but getting close. I have all of the wiring run thru the walls, all furniture in place, all speakers mounted with exception of the 4 presence speakers, and added an Oppo 103, new xbox, and Wii. I have been thru a few wall mounts and just have not found the perfect one. I am waiting on the delivery of the mounts I feel will be what I am looking for......so close, yet so far. Finish up the presence speakers, restain the wet bar, hang a bit of decor on the walls, and it'll be ready for some pics.
The large windows are still a pain. I need to find a good material I can tack to the walls to completely cover the windows so that light is completely blocked, then maybe hang curtains to cover that. I'm thinking I may let the wife handle that part!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks