What's new

New HT build (1 Viewer)

bigDog1

Auditioning
Real Name
Vernon Royale
Hello all,
I am new to this forum but not new to DIY, electronics or computers. I have been browsing this site for a while looking at all the info and builds that have beem provided here. I must say I am very impressed with what I have seen and read. I also recognize all the help that have been provided to oneanother and that is why I have joined, to share in any way I can and also receive needed help if I can.

I just recently moved to Raleigh, NC from NYC. My mom was supposed to come with me so I purchased a ranch with afull basement. After re-finishing the basement for mom (3 br, full bath, fireplace living room, the works except kitchen, (mom suffers from a slight case of demensia)). Just when I was finished mom changed her mind to stay with my 5 sisters in NYC. There is just 3 in my family (wife and son). With the basement now finished we have about 3700sq of space, upper and lower floors. I have now decided to use some of the space for my dream HT.

I have a space of 12.5 x 30.8 that I am thinking about using for this venture. this is where I need help. A part of the space was one of the 3 br that I had made for mom. This is a 12x12 space. In this space i decided to turn into a bar and consession area. The closet will be the bar area. that wall with the closet make up the back wall of the plan. I will be constructing an island with a split level counter top one being bar height with 2 seats. At the wall that was seperating the other room I had in mind for the theater I will convert the adjoining wall to a half wall and make that also a bar height countertop with 3 seats facing the screen. also along this wall will be the entrance to the theater. just in front of this countertop will be my riser for the rear seats ( riser will only be 6" so as not to block views from the counter. Oh, by the way, the other room (real theater) is 12.5 x 17.8. In front of the riser will be my theater seats with recliners. That will still give me about 10ft from the screen which will be a 65" mitsubishi 837 series. along the dividing wall with the countertop is where I am constructing the equipment rack, front facing the screen with access from the rear.

Am I confusing anyone? I have put the plan on paper but I am not able to upload it for viewing.
My big problem is that in all this space on the left side overhead is my ac ducts, this is the metal rectangle kind, they are cutting into my headroom on one side of the rooms. My ceiling height is 7.5 but below the ducts is about 6ft. can I go ahead with this design or what are the recommendations. I thought about moving the ducts but with the new move and the money already spent on remodel there is none for that expense right now.

All, please let me know what you think.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Welcome to the forum. When a mod stops in, you may want to ask that your thread be moved to Members' Theaters, Controls, Remotes and HT Projects which is the section below this one. The beginner's section covers topic like how to connect your 15 year old VCR to your new flat screen and why the picture looked so much better on your 24" TV.

I've seen quite a few bar/theater combinations and other than the duct work, it looks like you have it planned out. Have you looked into duct work that is wider and flatter? That's just the first idea I came up with.

65" TV? For a nice theater like that? I hope you also wired for a projector.

You don't mention a thing about your audio system. What do you have?

bigDog1

Auditioning
Real Name
Vernon Royale
The ducts are not really a problem in terms of height restrictions. I was just wishing for a more symetrical layout. I have tried to plan in such a way that since money is tight the ducts might become a feature. I gave a some thought to a projector but somehow I have yet to see a projector that give me the same satisfaction as from direct view. I am still hoping that with some WAF I might even go up to the 82" mitsu. Projector would also extend the budget since it is all about the screen.

For audio I will be doing some upgrades. Currently I have a Denon AVR 3805 (no HDMI), Toshiba HD-A35 (have all the HDDVD that was), HTPC with BD drive, Sony viao BGP-XL1B 200 dvd changer (fully loaded), for speakers I am using Polk Audio for center and it's companions the RTiA 3 for R,L front and rear (currently 5.1 setup), a simple audiosource subwoffer. I also have a TV, a panny 52" LCD.( not being used). Most of this equip in currently in the family room upstairs with a 42" LG LCD over the fireplace ( I have 2 fireplaces). I was hoping to perhaps leaving most of the stuff in the FR (maybe just the receiver) and upgrade to an ONKYO. I have already purchased some inwall speakers to use as rears, since the "rear" of my main viewing area is at that half wall with the bar top and 3 stools.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Can you convert your drawing to a image file, scan it or even take a picture of it with a digital camera and upload it? I'm having a hard time visualizing the space.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by bigDog1

Projector would also extend the budget since it is all about the screen.
I've had numerous LCD and plasma owner's get stunned looks on their faces when they saw my projector. It's an older Panasonic (AE900U) LCD on a DIY screen that cost $75. Once the light in the room is taken care of, the projector looks amazing. I also built the screen so I could try different DIY paint formulas on it but I haven't had a reason to.

I'm not trying to sway you because you have your own goals. I'm just saying a properly set up projector is as good as direct view and in most people's budgets.

I've seen people cover duct work and turn it into trey (sp?) ceilings or at least build a false cover on the other side so it is symetrical.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Drawing looks good, I can see the first post now. OK a few quick concerns. You may want to play with a side elevation to verify sight lines with the three rows. Standard commercial seats will probably be fine, but it might be close with the three rows (floor, riser, bar stools). You may also cause problems with a future PJ. 7ft ceiling over the riser area with a ceiling mount PJ will be asking for someone to knock their head on it. Another issue is I think the screen is too small. If I understand your measurements the bar is going to be 18-19ft from a 65" screen. I would seriously consider a second set of side speakers as well for that long of a room.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Originally Posted by Robert_J

I've had numerous LCD and plasma owner's get stunned looks on their faces when they saw my projector. It's an older Panasonic (AE900U) LCD on a DIY screen that cost $75. Once the light in the room is taken care of, the projector looks amazing. I also built the screen so I could try different DIY paint formulas on it but I haven't had a reason to.
I agree. I spent $1900 on a 1080p Mitsubishi HC5000 and a little over $100 on a screen I bought from a guy on eBay who builds custom sized screens with a nice 4" border covered in black velvet, and it looks fantastic. I have a 110" screen, and it all cost me significantly less than the 60" Sony SXRD set I had bought a couple of years earlier.

You can also save quite a bit of money on the projector itself by buying a model that is a year or two old. The online sites have some great, slightly older, 1080p projectors in their inventory.

If you are going to do all this work, and if you have a room where you can keep ambient light to a minimum, a projector is the way to go. As someone else suggested, carefully measure sight lines, and at least prewire video cable and power for a future projector.

bigDog1

Auditioning
Real Name
Vernon Royale
Thanks very much for the suggestions. some things that i took into considerations:
1) My recliners are not the berkline kinds. I do not like them, they are too cushy for me to be watching movies, they are beds. I was looking for seats more authentic to the real theater. My front seats are actually a curved leather sofa with a recliner built into each end made by Lane selected by my wife. On the riser I was putting a love seat that we moved out of the family room.
2) My riser and front stage is only 5" high and my counter with the three stools is at 42" based on my measurements sight lines interferance might be a small problem. Counter at the bar is also at 42. Also since I was going with a tv I was going to build a nook for it so I can play with height if necessary. I did do some sight measurement but only from the front seat in a comfortable sitting position, not reclined.With regards to the lenght of the room. The plan is actually 2 rooms. My original plan was just the "theater" area which is 12.5 x 17.8. the "reception" area is one of the bedroms that I had made for mom, and that is 12.5 x 12.8. I was not looking to have it all become the envelope for the experience. Theater immersing sound is only going to be found in the 17.8 area. To try to use the whole 2 rooms would throw my back surrounds all the back to the wall with the tv next to the bar.With the reception area I was hoping that I could design it like a little soprts bar/ consession area kinda thing. The tv on the wall was going to be runing ESPN-HD constantly or some sort of sports game. To really watch a movie then you would need to go into the theater area. I just decided to open up the rooms by creating the half wall and doorway so that I could have more people or seats at the 3 stool counter and one could watch the movie from the bar. Those seats are the "cheap" seats.

Regarding the PJ, I have to go do research. I have no windows in my planned area.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
With regards to the lenght of the room. The plan is actually 2 rooms. My original plan was just the "theater" area which is 12.5 x 17.8. the "reception" area is one of the bedroms that I had made for mom, and that is 12.5 x 12.8. I was not looking to have it all become the envelope for the experience. Theater immersing sound is only going to be found in the 17.8 area.

Got it. Then ignore the second set of speakers suggestion.

bigDog1

Auditioning
Real Name
Vernon Royale
venecia.jpg
These are the kind of seats I hoping to put in my rig. Hoping for 1 set of 4 on the riser and another set of 4 in front of the riser but behind the Lane recliners.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
So you are going to have 4 rows? From front to back:
Lane recliners/sofa
Theater seats on the floor
Theater seats on the riser
Bar stools (AKA the cheap seats )

I'm worried about that row of theater seats on the floor behind the Lane. I think they will be blocked by people on the Lane.

bigDog1

Auditioning
Real Name
Vernon Royale
Adam thank you so much for your insight. I had not given thought to the second row being blocked by the Lane. I will be looking into that with some measurement and make possible adjustments. please let me know if there is any thing else I might be overlooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks