What's new

New house help please... (1 Viewer)

gmweir73

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Weir
Hi All, I hope someone out there can help me? I have a pretty limited understanding of this stuff so please be gentle.... I have just moved into a new house and am having some connection problems. I have brought with me to my new house a Sony KDL55EX720 TV, an Onlyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver, a PS3, a Roku, and a DirecTv HD box. All worked fine in my old house when connected to the Onkyo and passed through video and sound to the TV no problem. My new house already has Bose Lifestyle 25 speakers wired through the walls, 2 front, 1 center, 2 rear and 1 subwoofer (it appears that the previous owner took the rest of the system with him, DVD/receiver) and an HDMI cable wired through the wall from where the TV wall mount is to where the media centre will be. So........... I have connected up the HDMI from the where the TV wall mount is (HDMI in) to the Onkyo where the media centre is (HDMI out) and the other devices as listed are connected as before to the Onkyo via HDMI and I believe should all be working fine.... However, my problems are: 1. Audio pass through does appear to be working; when I try to watch TV, use the Roku or PS3 I get video ok but no audio from the built in TV speakers, what's going on with this and how do I fix it? 2. How do I connect the Bose speaker cables to the Onkyo, do I cut ends off? I would like to use the 'built in' Bose speakers as it would make things neat and tidy and please my wife! I also do't want to have to start trying to run new wires etc. if it can at all be helped. Thanks for you feedback and assistance in advance!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
1) It sounds like a setting in the Onkyo has somehow been changed. Go into it's setup menu and make sure hdmi audio is set to On. Having it set to Off sends the audio to it's own internal amplitier (for output to the external speakers. 2) You need to find out what the ohm rating is for those Bose speakers before hooking them uo. I couldn't find it in the Lifestyle 25's owners manual. If the Bose speakers are rated for 4 ohms the 609 might be able to power them on a regular basis but if they are 3 ohms or lower, which many Bose speakers are, they shouldn't be used with any other receiver. It will cause the receiver to shut down at best and become permanently damaged at worst. Bose products aren't designed to work with other manufactures equipment. One of the many, many.....many reasons we don't recommend them around here very often. If they are. You're better off buying normal speakers and running regular speaker wire.

gmweir73

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Weir
Thanks for your help. 1 - Great, I found it and got the sound working through the TV. :) 2 - I'll look into it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks