What's new

New home theater advice (1 Viewer)

PhilippeK

Auditioning
Hello everyone,
I am thinking about my first home theater now.
The point is do not spend a lot of money, but have excellent sound, especially for music (CD, SACD), have possibility to use all current surround formats.
So, I’ve started from speakers and found that many people happy with Polk Audio, also I’ve listened them in a shop (R50) and founded them good.
Here are my potential speakers:
Polk R50 (front)
Polk R20 (back)
Polk CSi30 (center)
I am not sure about R20 and thinking about upgrading them to RT25i.
I think I do not need subwoofer because low is pretty good in R50.
Is it suitable configuration for home theatre and R50 for stereo music? I can get RTi70 instead of R50 if it absolutely necessary, but really do not want to spend more than absolutely necessary to have suitable sound.
From DVD player I expect supporting of many formats (homemade VCD, SVCD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW). Very welcome supporting of SACD and/or DVD-Audio, also not bad to have JPEG support. Of course, must be good sound (I want to use it as CD, SACD player) and video.
Here is the list of DVD players I am thinking about:
1.Sony DVP-NS415 (there is no SACD)
2.Sony DVD-NS715P (there is no SACD)
3.Sony DVP-NS755V (pretty expensive, there is SACD support, there is no DVD+RW, but, as I heard, all DVD players with DVD-R support will support and DVD+RW (http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#6.4.1))
4.Pioneer DV-656A (DVD-Audio)
5.Toshiba SD5700 (DVD-Audio)
6.Hitachi DVP325U (there is no DVD-Audio either SACD)
Maybe there are some cheep players (like Apex) with good sound, picture (I don’t need progressive scan right now) and reputation.
From receiver I want supporting many formats and excellent sound quality.
I am thinking about Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Onkio, Denon, Kenwood, Marantz or Pioneer Elite from $300 to $700-800.
Here is the list:
1.Yamaha RX-V1200
2.Yamaha RX-V2200
3.Yamaha HTR-5560
4.Yamaha HTR-5550
5.Harman Kardon AVR 320
6.Harman Kardon AVR 220
7.Harman Kardon AVR 225
8.Marantz SR4200
9.Denon AVR-2802
10.Pioneer VSX-43TX Elite
11.Pioneer VSX-D811S
Again, I do not want to spend a lot, but I want clear, beautiful sound.
Thank you to everyone. If you can advise some good configuration or can say where I am wrong or right, I will be very appreciate this.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Philippe,

You have a lot of options here- so you might find that opening such a large set of options will limit how much people here can help you. I would suggest you maybe try some searches on this forum for the models you have listed and see what you can elimiate from your list using the current discussions.

I would say if you could narrow down your selections to 2-3 models- people here are more likely to help as they might actually have experience with the models in question.

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks