What's new

New DAS BOOT edition!? (1 Viewer)

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
I recently bought 2 disc DVD "DAS BOOT - THE ORIGINAL UNCUT VERSION" (R2 PAL 2004).
I think it's one of the best DVD's in the world.

There are also several other editions released in the past few years.
And now I just saw this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Das-Boot-Col...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It seems to me that discs are exactly the same as in mine 2004 edition, but this new edition, which will be released in a few days, has incredibly beautiful package - and cheap price!

Does anyone knows anything more? Is contents the same as 2004 edition?

I'm sorry now for buying the older version few months ago, because this looks fantastic!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I would like to know too.

The one thing that irkes me about the Director's Cut is that the English dub and changed background sounds has been santized as opposed to the English subtitles. I would have like to hear the actual translations crude language and all to make it feel more authentic and not a Disney movie.

Wonder if such a disc exists?

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
Eric,
you take a cork with a nail stuck in it and a violin string attached on the side of it... stick it in the asshole... and than sideways jack off.
This is part of the actual dialog translated in english and displayed as subtitles. So, it's NOT Disney. It's authentic as authentic film can be.
I believe that every fan of this movie will watch it with original german audio. And just how accurate subtitles are - who knows!? And who cares? Because one (non-german speaking person) could understand almost everything that goes on in this movie without subtitles at all. Amazing beauty of picture, superb directing, fantastic soundtrack and charismatic actors - that's what makes this film so great and you can enjoy it even without understanding every word.

JayHM,
this whole hometheaterforum is so huge and complex, and I'm new here, so I still don't know much about this place. If you are some moderator, be free to put this where you think it should be. If you're not... don't spam my topic.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well there is a section of the htf specific to non reg 1 dvd discussion.
jay wasnt spamming your topic

an admin will probably move it because, like me, folks who wander in here will think this pertains to a reg 1 dvd announcement

take a look around some of the other sections of htf to see if there are any sections you have interest in.

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
So... does that means that this whole mega-forum is primarily for R1 releases, and all other (non-R1) releases are ghettoized in one section?

I hope not.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much, considering that the site is based in the U.S. and that the majority of the readers and posters are from the U.S., it makes sense that the bulk of the site is dedicated to Region 1 DVD releases.

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
Wow, it must be cool to live in world's only super-power, huh?

Kidding.

No Zachary, it does not make sense, because in the pursuit for the best possible DVD edition, many filmophiles from all continents are willing to buy DVD's from all regions.

Anyway, can we please get back to topic? I can't believe that no-one knows anything about this upcoming release?!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You don't really want to start another discussion of PAL speedup do you? For a film as long as Das Boot, you're talking about a film that runs 12 minutes too fast. That's a deal-breaker for some of us in terms of buying R2 discs instead of R1.

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
Thanx Tony, I'll try that.

Like I said george, I'm new here. I haven't seen any PAL discussion. But believe it or not, I do want to take part in discussions of that kind, very much. Because I'm rather new to all this terminology and technology, and that highly interests me. But don't worry, I'll discuss it and learn it somewhere else with some other persons. Hopefully.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Filip
I know what you mean about the subtitles and what they say and that is "my" point. The subtitles seem to be more raw and realistic where the English dubbing is not but sanitized for family audiences. I would have preferred them saying in English what was actually said in German... that's all.

Eric

M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mate
Sorry Eric, english is not my native language, so I may not understand everything correctly. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks