What's new

New Apple Watch (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
i'm yet to see any mention of 38 vs. 42mm battery life. Also individual carrier charges for the LTE version - (the one we care about is T-Mobile)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Only thing I saw was that they expect it to last the same 18 hours that the current one lasts. Although, I normally get about 24 hours. I imagine if you are streaming music and the other things they where showing like taking phone calls I would guess battery life would be shorter. I think you will have to wait until they are in the wild and some reviews come back.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
i'm yet to see any mention of 38 vs. 42mm battery life. Also individual carrier charges for the LTE version - (the one we care about is T-Mobile)

Same as the previous model for battery. Monthly carrier charge is $10/month

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I bought the new black band to go with my old Stainless. Will see if it is more comfortable than the milanese. Love the milan's look but it digs too far into my wrist fat.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Same as the previous model for battery.
I honestly don't know what it was for any of the previous models - my only one has been the original 38" Apple Watch, and by this year (latest watchOS) the battery life was too short.

Interesting news from Gruber/iMore: the cellular Watch has 16GB of data vs 8GB for the non-cellular. Also you don't need to activate (and pay for) the cell service if you buy the cellular version

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Interesting news from Gruber/iMore: the cellular Watch has 16GB of data vs 8GB for the non-cellular. Also you don't need to activate (and pay for) the cell service if you buy the cellular version

The cell model supports Apple Music streaming and the wi-fi version does not - that's why they had to give it the 16GB.

And certainly any cellular device can be used without cell service if you don't want it, but to be clear you most definitely need to pay for cell service if you plan on using it that way. Plans are $10/month.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bought my 42mm stainless steel watch, space grey with a $50 loop band this morning.

Preorder went VERY smoothly. Did it on my phone while at work. This is the first time the online store opened within 3 minutes after 3am EST

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Bought my 42mm stainless steel watch, space grey with a $50 loop band this morning.

Preorder went VERY smoothly. Did it on my phone while at work. This is the first time the online store opened within 3 minutes after 3am EST

Did you order on the Apple Store app? I used it for the first time and it could not have taken 15 seconds. I was very impressed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I'm a first gen Apple Watch wearer. Still thinking about the 3 in Stainless Steel. I happen to find this review from the Wall Street Journal via the Apple News app. The review said battery life isn't that good with cellular on.

I'm Linking via the website, which might make you subscribe to see the article, if you're interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...3-review-untethered-and-unreliable-1505905203

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron. I thought that review on the WSJ seemed like the reviewer was having unrealistic expectations or bad luck or something else.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bought the same nylon band. Just not trying it on till I get my watch tomorrow. Glad to hear, however that it is comfortable

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am also eyeing the same band in orange to purchase next month. Apple proudly displays that very band in their Apple Watch Series 3 information page

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Fortunately for the bank account, the Wife is still happy with her OG Watch.

I still look longingly from the outside. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm not seeing a compelling reason to replace my Series 2 running WatchOS 4 with the Series 3. Honestly, I have my phone with me 99.9% of the time anyway, so the LTE capability seems to be of limited value in my case. I'll wait until Apple does two things before I buy a new watch: significantly improve battery life and include a wider range of biometric functions. Until then the Series 2 does everything I need.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Both my wife and I ended up getting the 38mm LTE version: she got the dark grey, I got the silver because I am still using the stainless steel strap from the original -- which Apple no longer offers - they still have the Milanese loop only - and I preferred the other one - what was it called? - because it is the same, if vastly better, as the one I wore my Swiss Army Watches with for decades.

From 2 days checking: battery life is vastly better than it was from the original - worn from before dawn to after midnight, maybe ~30% left. My watch looks to me identical to the original - if it wasn't for the red dot that the LTE watches have I couldn't tell the difference.

The one thing that Apple hasn't yet fixed is the need to unpair - pair the watch when you upgrade to a new iPhone. True, it is vastly faster now (8 - 15Mins? - clearly I didn't time it) to the near hour horror of the original. Bad news: the LTE connection to my T-Mobile # was lost, and I'll have to deal with it later today.

I'll post more impressions in a few weeks, but so far, definitely 2 thumbs up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks