What's new

New Apocalypse Now DVD set this year? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Gary,

Many of us don't care to read fluffy exclamation posts. But we're also not really interested in reading personal insults either.

Forgive me if I missed something substantive in your response to Jim, but if you didn't "mean to be rude" then why did you post that?

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Rich on this. I like the presentation on the original DVD. It may not be the best ever, but apparently, neither is this one, and I'd rather steer clear of the Redux anyway. So the presentation on the original dvd sounds like it's the best presentation of the version of the film I like the most anyway :)

willh51

Agent
Real Name
Will
I'll definitely be getting this tomorrow along with the bonus disc at Circuit City. I'm not a fan of Redux but can't wait to add this to my collection for the first time.

I'm surprised that so many people have been bashing this release, as all the places I go to read dvd reviews have been almost unanimously positive about it. I agree that splitting the film sucks and Hearts of Darkness will be missed, but this seems like a MUST buy for $12.99!

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Agreed. I bought this set with no regrets -- it is what it is, and it is very reasonably priced.

Considering the amount of work that went into this, I'm doubly excited about a future Bram Stoker's Dracula set. Hopefully we'll get a similar package, with a new cut of the film alongside the theatrical cut and a host of bonus content.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I hope I've not bashed it - if I didn't already have the original cut on DVD, I'd be buying this. The Coppolla commentary is intriguing, and I hope I can rent from Netflix to hear that at some point, but nothing else about this release makes me desire an upgrade. And I should note that I'm a good bit pickier on purchases of highly popular/big selling films with hi-def media around the corner. Until that time (even if it's years), I'm satisfied with the original release DVD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I picked up my copy this morning (primarily due to the commentary and the decent price) but I think alot of the disinterest is due to the fact that people are on re-release overload. When even lousy movies are getting multiple releases, you start getting sick of re-releases all together even if it's a great movie like Apocalypse Now.

Another good example is the new LOTR DVDs, judging by that thread there's not much interest in those. People love the movies but they're not into buying it a third time.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Good lucky to anybody looking for the bonus disc. If you get one, you obviously aren't anywhere near Long Island, NY (and be glad for that). I bought this today and the Circuit City I went to didn't have the disc, but took my name and number and said they would call me when they got it in. Long Island being somewhat of a mecca for chain stores, there happens to be another CC within a couple of minutes. When I went to that one to see if I could pick up the bonus disc, they naturally had no idea what I was talking about, then reversed field and said it comes included in the package (based on the infallible logic that the circular says, 'while supplies last', which I still don't understand). After I finished explaining to the store's employees the basics of what a retailer exclusive was, they decided they didn't have it and couldn't help me. Welcome to Circuit City, where service is state of the art!

Porfirio

Second Unit
None of the copies at my local Circuit City had the sticker. I was at my local CC just before they opened and was the only person to pick up this title, so I know they didn't sell out.

Edited

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Went to my local Circuit City and lucked out and got the bonus disc. For 12.99 and the fact that the bonus disc really is the 3rd disc (disc art and menus match the other 2 discs) in this set, it's a steal in my book.

The packaging is gorgeous.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the original release, have Redux and can't stand that cut, so I'm picking up this one today, and with a coupon it will only be $11.95.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My wife got it for me as well, but paid 14.99. I'm not going to lose sleep over it, as I was more interested in getting the third disc. I had yet to purchase the film, so this release was perfect for me. I have to admit the packaging made it really stand out. It's f***ing stunning.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Agreed, Chuck. The set is totally sweet. Beautiful packaging and both cuts, plus some nice features.

I haven't explored the 3 discs yet -- I picked up the CC exclusive -- but it will be a fun couple of days when I do. I have never purchased anything from CC due to my whoring for BB Reward Zone but I couldn't pass this up.

For $12.99, I'm ecstatic.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
If anyone can get an extra CC set and mail it to me (I'll reimburse you obviously, or pay you upfront, as you wish). It's just that I only have one CC nearby and they don't have any of the 3-disc sets. Another CC is not that close by. I'll obviously try there as well, but would really appreciate any help in securing a copy.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Got the set and the 3rd disc from CC,the extras are great ,but leave you
wanting more,Theres very little on the making of the film(I haven't put
the commentary on yet) Theres great stuff on the making of the soundtrack
and the editing,but little on the actors,the art direction or even the DP
Maybe at some point they though most of this was in Heart of Darkness
and they Plan to include this,
Mabe we can get a whole set of extras with that when it comes out

The extra CC dvd has the orig trailer
in 16x9, and a letterboxed Redux trailer,there's a little doc that has FC
talking about what was added to Redux,

Wonder if the Blue Ray Version will be cropped too,

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Interesting. Since the structure of this disc has been called into question, I decided to look into it. I opened disc one in DVD Shrink, and it appears that it does use some seamless branching for the two versions of the film. On disc one, both versions of the film take up about 5.76 GBs total. However the program's re-authoring mode shows that both versions of the film would have taken up a total of 8.69 GBs had there been no branching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks