What's new

New Apocalypse Now DVD set this year? (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it's either an all-encompassing collection that includes both cuts of the film plus "Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse" or the super-long workprint.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Give me the original cut in OAR with Hearts of Darkness on another disc and I'll be happy.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I think when Kim Aubry (from Zoetrope / Aubry productions, i.e 'zap') was interviewed a year or two ago, he mentioned that the eventual complete SE of Apocalypse Now would have 'everything' on it, and would be 'worth the wait'. He said it would take a while but folks wouldn't be disappointed. If this new info means it's on the way, I'm happy.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Thanks,But wonder if they ever release this in
in 2.35:1
I saw the film so many times at 2.35:1 that I can't
help missing the sides

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Peter Neski:
Thanks,But wonder if they ever release this in
in 2.35:1
[sic]

Not if Coppola continues the leave the decision to cinematographer Vittorio Storaro.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
As others have said, I'm interested if it's the original cut with the original aspect ratio.

Otherwise I'll pass.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Well, not sure if they'll be OAR or not, but here are some early details on the Apocalypse Now SE DVD. This came from an article on Home Media Retailing:

For the past 15 months, Aubry and his team have been working on the upcoming special edition DVD release — Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier, a sort of “kitchen sink” version of an Apocalypse Now DVD.

It will include both the original and Redux versions of the film, as well as a wealth of new documentaries that dive deep into the editing, the sound, the music and other aspects of the film’s production.

Fingers crossed for 2.35:1 (on both cuts)!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I hope it will include "Hearts of Darkness" I don't think a complete SE of Apocalypse Now could be "complete" with that.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It's good that we're getting both cuts (we only got Redux here in r4, and I never managed to get an original cut from r1), but unfortunately from that description, it doesn't sound like we're getting Hearts of Darkness. Shame, because as you say, it is an essential part of Apocalypse Now - and a stunning documentary that deserves preservation even if it does contain material that conflicts with Coppolla's later decisions on Redux.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks