What's new

Networked DVRs and MAC Mini: Fantasy or Fact? (1 Viewer)

Doug Beavers

Auditioning
I am trying to figure out if my idea is a potential fact, or total fantasy.

I currently have FIOs with HD DVRs (QIP 6416?) on two separate TVs.

My objectives are to:

1) Add a few TBs of storage to the DVRs
2) Access the recordings on that shared storage from either of the DVRs' interfaces
3) Rip my personal DVD collection onto that shared storage
4) Access those movies with the DVR interface

I am a mac guy, and I intend to keep it that way, so I am thinking about using a mac mini with FLIP4MAC Drive-in to get my DVDS onto the shared storage. I am guessing that I will have to use some software to convert the video files to a format the FIOS DVR can read.

I understand that the FIOS DVRs do not yet have external storage ability, but that this is anticipated via update somewhat soon (?)

So, can anybody burst my bubble or make my day on this theoretical set-up? I have to figure that there is a better way than I am imagining, so please feel free to 'splain it to me after you are finished slapping your forehead.

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight.

Doug

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Doug, cant help with the FIO and DVRs, but I can tell you this...

A good friend and fellow-Mac-nut has a terrific setup that I plan to copy.

He's ripped his DVD collection (almost the same size as mine ... I'm over 700 titles) to external HDs. (Two 1-TB drives, if memory serves.) He's got these drives hooked into a server in his basement, then networked to his AppleTV.

So, his living room AppleTV has access to his massive movie collection, music and all the AppleTV functions. It's beautiful, simple and easy to use.

That all said, it took him a long time to rip all his DVDs... but the effort seemed worth it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dunno if that's helpful at all, or if that's an option for you... but I thought I'd mention it.

bpickell

Agent
Real Name
Brian
I know you said that you wanted to stay mac, however I do know that Linux has already accomplished this with linuxMCE. I also know they have accomplished it using the Verizon FiOs set top boxes connected to the MCE thin clients. If you wish to read about it here: LinuxMCE there is some good stuff on there. Also there is a youtube video demo of it here: LinuxMCE 0704 Demo Video

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks