What's new

Mac Mini as a HTPC (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just had a very cool experience with my brand new Retina MacBook Pro. I wanted to see if the HDMI output would work with my TV.
I had an extra HDMI cable and a new Panasonic VT30. I missed the premiere of some shows last week and because CBS for some reason will not make an iPad app, I had to watch on the computer. That's makes me frustrated why they are not allowing an iPad app, but that's for another thread.
So I hooked up the RMBP to the TV and I automatically get the TV to act like second screen! Very cool. Then I started to stream Hawaii Five-0. But no sound, so I'm listening to the RMBP speakers. Then I realized I just need to set the audio pref on the Mac. So I go to the audio settings and I see it already recognized the Panasonic! So I select it and it worked!
So now I am even more curious about the idea of getting another Mac like a Mac Mini to be set-up to the TV all the time. I already use eyeTV, but the G5 it was connected to just literally died. So I'm considering the idea of a Mac Mini for recording TV shows like a DVR and use it to stream my iTunes library to the sound system.
What's your experiences, anyone using a Mac for home theater? I'm sure some do. The experience with the RMBP really impressed me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've used a Mini with EyeTV for several years. It has not been without quirks. On my original setup I was getting frequent kernel panics if I didn't use system sound, so basically could not have the Dolby Digital stream play in my recordings. My current setup uses a Mini with HDMI out, but the app crashes if I turn off the AV receiver in the middle of a recording, which I think messes with the handshake protocol. I recently had to reconfigure the connection because my HDMI port is failing on my receiver, so going direct to my display doesn't seem to be causing the same problem. That said, I'd rather have it than not, as I use it for music and Internet use as well.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, as others have noted, EyeTV and others have finally brought cablecard to Mac. So that's a nice advantage.. the problem is that because the OS doesn't support CableCard required HDCP, it means some channels (anything pay, really) and some content (think NFL games) doesn't work so well. But everything else works. I'm working with a MacMini on writing something up soon, using new versions of software from Ceton.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten /t/324117/mac-mini-as-a-htpc#post_3982115
OSX most certainly does support HDCP.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1157262/hdcp_errors.html

I phrased that wrong. I should have said: it doesn't support CableCard's implimentation of HDCP to meet CableLabs certification standards. Elegato and others have noted this. Until Apple ponies up the money to CableLabs, that won't happen either.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Rather than buy another Mac Mini, wouldn't it be cheaper just to get an Apple TV device? It's only $99 and you can stream everything wirelessly from your Mac to your TV.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the input guys!
I'm one of the few people who does not have cable or Satallite TV! I chose to not have it and simply do TV over the air. Works fine for me. For cable shows like Mad Men, I wait and buy the season sets.
Well, this sounds very promising. The RMBP is very fast, but I am wondering now if the base model i5 2.3 ghz is powerful enough, for what it's doing, I assume it will be plenty. The 2.5 ghz is nice if that extra .2 ghz will help.
Cameron, I have a almost year old pre-pro now. The only thing I'd do is send it audio from the Mac. I'd imagine sending video straight to the TV. I'm really curious about sending Apple lossless files to the pre-pro. Right now the pre-pro has a USB port in front and it works from an iPod. However, for some reason, the audio from a iPod playing Apple losssless files will exhibit a pop at random points during a track. It's like the audio is engaging and disengaging for a microsecond to cause the pop. It's very low, but annoying. Might be the pre-pro. So perhaps there is a DAC I use and send analog to the pass through in the Pre-pro.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I see I missed your post. The Apple TV is something I never totally understood. But I don't think it's going to fulfill the needs I'm looking for. Like stuff we can't discuss.
I am looking for a Mac Pro. It would replace my dead G5 and it could perform the recording duties and then steam to the Apple TV if I understand how it works. So that's a good point Mark.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you aren't worried about cable, then there are tons of great over the air tuners for Mac, as well as basic cable tuners.. including HD.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have the Miglia HD receiver. I picked that in 2006 for the G5 and it works great so far, hopefully it will still work on an intel Mac.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have the HD HomeRun networked tuner from Elgato. It works reasonably well. Initially it didn't seem able to do proper recordings of programs airing simultaneously, and it turned out the "dual tuner" feature was a bit misleading. But now it seems able to do that. I admit I don't try to keep up too much with EyeTV's various updates unless there's a problem hampering basic recording of a single program. Eventually I may opt for programs like Hulu Plus, as my compulsion to save recordings is not what it once was.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm using a 2009 Mac Mini with the EYE TV and PLEX and it works very well, I cut the Cord and only have a terrestial antenna but that gets me all the major networks in HD and the eye tv works ok with that setup. With Netflix and Amazon Prime on Demand, plus all my plex content (10000 tv eps) 400 movies I'm never at a loss to watch something.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Cameron, I must admit I haven't always watched or saved the recordings, I mainly use it for time shifting.
Dave, thanks for sharing your Mac Mini experience too. If it works for your Mac, then it should be good with a 2012 model. I'll have to look up what Plex is.

Gumbo Perkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Ted
Nelson,
I'm coming form a bit different background, but wanting similar ideas about this as well.
I have been a long time Windows Media Center user and have recently really liked Mac OS and EyeTV after purchasing a 13MBP.
EyeTV is awesome with my HDHomerun (OTA)
My current Windows 7 MC is set up to record, rename & move the recordings to my DroboS (WTV-Meta Renamer). Then, strip commercials (ComSkip) and convert to mp4 (WTV-Converter2).
This is a pretty solid set-up with 2 years of tweaking and trying out all sorts of crap.
PROS about using a MacMini:
fast processor
small form factor
clean looks (hidden IR port).
EyeTV = awesome in the sense that it works 1000 times smoother with my HDHomerun than my Win7 PC does (always artifacting), and EyeTV has Picture in Picture.
CONS (or what I don't know what to use that my PC does now):
Netflix intergration- it's built into MediaCenter
Running Stand Alone apps-I have stand alone app like Hulu Desktop that can launch from within MC, when I close Hulu MC fires back up.
Other apps like AutoRip-n-Compress can be added to MC with 3rd party customization software.
MediaBrowser plugin lets me play many file formats (including DVD/BluRay ISO).
Media Center really does act as a one-stop-shop for all my media needs. I can use my Harmony One remote and never have to jack with a keyboard/mouse.
I could go with a MacMini and Windows 7 with BootCamp/ Parralels or whatever, but I'd like to use EyeTV, so there would be switching back and forth b/t OS's.
I don't want to be using an mobile phone/tablet etc as my mouse/keyboard. I'd like to use one remote as I currently do now.
So, is there anything out there for a Mac that is like Media Center?
ALSO, I have mirrored (AirPlay) EyeTV from my MBP to Apple TV3 and it worked great. This is not ideal for my day to day needs, as I would need an iPhone app to control the Mac (channel changing ect), but it was neat to see it work flawlessly for 3 hours straight streaming AirPlay video.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ted, thanks for your comprehensive post. And Apple just announced a new Mac Mini, iMac, 13" MacBook Pro and of course the mini iPad.
So it might be the right timing for a Mac Mini. My set-up should be very simple. EyeTV, and iTunes. Though it would be cool if one could set-up a very small screen to avoid using my main plasma screen to view the Mac if one was just playing Apple lossless files.

Gumbo Perkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Ted
I think what I would've liked was Front Row, but Mountain Lion no longer supports it. Bummer. Maybe I can set up shortcut keys to quickly open Netflix, Plex or XBMC, and EyeTV.
Yes, I waited 3 months to hear news of new Mac Minis. They look great. Might scoop one up to play with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks