What's new

Need to ID my old speakers! (1 Viewer)

VinceL

Auditioning
Hi, I am pretty new to the HT scene, but I have been doing research and sorts, so I am not totally clueless. Anyway, I'm moving into a new home soon, and plan to get a new receiver. Right now I have some old speakers that my parents bought about 16 years ago, but they are working but I have almost no idea of their specs.

I only have 4 speakers, 2 large fronts from Pioneer, model is S55-T, they are 6 ohm, 120W max 30W rated. I want to know if they are 2 way or 3 way. I don't really know how to remove the mesh/grille, but shining a light inside i can see 3 thingies. the top and bottom are woofers, because they move when i push them with my finger, and the middle one doesn't move, since it's got some sort of grill or cover on it. It'd also be great if i could get some feedback from people who have heard or own these.

For the rear speakers, they are Advent Mini's, and from what I've seen online, they are 2 way, have 5.25" woofers, a tweeter and is ported. They are bookshelf speakers i believe, but what I wanna know is the ohm rating for them, since it doesn't say.

Now, do you think that I should keep these speakers and continue to use them with my new receiver, or get new stuff entirely? If i keep them, I will be adding a center speaker and a sub to complete the surround system.

Thanks!

VinceL

Jimi C

Screenwriter
2 way and 3 way just refers to how many drivers are in the cabinet. The Advents are 2 ways because they have 2 drivers. The Pioneers are 3 way, a woofer a midrange and a tweeter.

The amount of drivers really has no relation to the overall quality of the speakers.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just remembered I finally have my old Audio Equipment Directories out of storage. I found the Mini Advents in the 1989 edition. It says they have a 6-ohm nominal impedance and a 4-ohm minimum impedance.

Can’t find the Pioneers between 1986 and 1999 (the last year of publication). It’s possible they were part of a pre-packaged rack system, which were popular back then.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

VinceL

Auditioning
oh wow thanx Wayne! this is good and bad news....currently the setup the speakers are in is not a good one. Everything's hooked up to another 15 year old receiver (my parents bought everything together), a pioneer vsx-5300, which, in its time i am thinking was a pretty decent model, since it still works and has pretty good connections. I was going through the manual today, and it has an impedance switch at the back for the front speakers, which lets me set it to either 4 ohms, or anything >4ohms. This is good since my pioneer speakers are 6ohms, but not so good for the Advent Minis, because in the back where you hook up the rear speakers it says to use only 8ohm to 16ohm speakers. If the Advent Minis are 6 ohms, I guess they bought the wrong speakers...but then again....it's been in constant use for this long already, i'm starting to appreciate this old equipment. And I finally picked up my new receiver tonight at midnight, from Bestbuy's boxing day sale...got a Denon AVR686S. I cannot wait.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks