What's new

Denon AVC-3800 5.1 Surround using RCA no HDMI (1 Viewer)

Theldrom

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
Hi all,

Thanks for having me. I need some advice.

My family and I have just moved into a new house, we are setting up a home cinema room. I have a LG 70" 70LB650V and a Denon AVC-3800 with 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, a center front speaker and a Sony subwoofer. The amp uses RCA connections.

I am connecting up a MediaPC and Blu Ray Player. The AVC-3800 is quite old and does not have HDMI connection.

What is the best way to connect up the AMP to the different devices, to get 5.1 surround?

Would something like this work - Amazon product
Any advice would be appreciated.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Real Name
Wayne
Sorry, but it is impossible to get 5.1 with analog RCA connections. 5.1 requires a digital signal feed from either an optical, coax, or HDMI connection. You will need to upgrade your receiver if you want 5.1 from your source components.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The receiver does appear to have an optical input so, assuming your TV has a matching optical output you should be able to get compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 from compatible source material on embedded apps. Assuming your MediaPC and Blu Ray Player have HDMI outputs, you should also be able to connect them to different HDMI inputs on the TV and have it output through the optical connection to the receiver.

Honestly I would seriously recommend purchasing a new, contemporary, receiver. Basic models can be found for under $300.00. Everything else in your system is HDMI capable, so the receiver will be a limiting factor until it is upgraded.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100