What's new

Need speaker recommendations, four satellites and a center… (1 Viewer)

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
This post is not for me, but for my uncle, I talked him out of Bose speakers and he is now looking for an alternative. The fronts and rears need to be satellites that can be mounted on brackets in the corners of the room, while the center can be full sized. After my advice he is going to buy the sub separate, and possibly will be going with either an HSU or SVS. His budget for the 5 speakers alone (not including the sub) is $1,000-1,200. The satellites do not need to be extremely small so small bookshelves may be an option here, but they must be able to be mounted in the corners of the room. He basically needs a package that has four sats and a (preferably full sized) center. I am looking for any recommendations here that will fit these criteria (and his budget). Thanks for any input!

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
No one has any recommendations? I was able to give him plenty of advice on a TV, Receiver, DVD player and Subwoofer. But when it came to speakers I was kind of stuck, since they need to be sats. The HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 came to mind, but his budget is a lot higher than what it costs, so I figure that he can do much better.

jephdood

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Lots of people recommend the Rocket ELT system in that price range. I have not heard them personally, but I've never seen a bad comment on them. For a grand you get 4 medium-sized bookshelves, a pretty good-looking center, AND a 10" powered sub all finished in a nice veneer. If I had another medium-sized HT room to supply, I think I'd probably give them a shot.

You may also want to give Ascend a look-see. You could snag 4 CBM-170's and a CMT-340c center for

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you have the choice, go with bookshelf speakers for better midrange, but if you need to consider sats, then audition some of these:

Boston Acoustic Micro 130x

I've heard them in store, where I bought my Boston VR-M60s, and for sats I found them very, very nice. They have the VR-M tweeter and excellent bass extension for sats, rivaling a number of conventional bookshelf speakers. Coupled with a VRC centre, the package retails for 1400$, but can be had within your budget. Had I been obliged to go the sat route, these are the ones I'd have bought.

On an aesthetic note, the VRC is quite sizeable, so you might consider the Bravo centre instead, should that be an issue.

You can also take a look at the Bravo line at Boston, as they are specifically designed for corner mounting (though they're not as nice as the Micro 130s, IMO. They are better than the other Micros, though, again, IMO).

I'd also give the Outlaw LFM-1 sub a look.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If you have the choice, go with bookshelf speakers for better midrange, but if you need to consider sats, then audition some of these:

Boston Acoustic Micro 130x

I've heard them in store, where I bought my Boston VR-M60s, and for sats I found them very, very nice. They have the VR-M tweeter and excellent bass extension for sats, rivaling a number of conventional bookshelf speakers. Coupled with a VRC centre, the package retails for 1400$, but can be had within your budget. Had I been obliged to go the sat route, these are the ones I'd have bought.

On an aesthetic note, the VRC is quite sizeable, so you might consider the Bravo centre instead, should that be an issue.

You can also take a look at the Bravo line at Boston, as they are specifically designed for corner mounting (though they're not as nice as the Micro 130s, IMO. They are better than the other Micros, though, again, IMO).

I'd also give the Outlaw LFM-1 sub a look.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I'll second the Rocket ELT system. You could also upgrade the standard woofer in the system for an upgraded 10" for a small premium that'll still keep you close to $1,200 for the system.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I'll second the Rocket ELT system. You could also upgrade the standard woofer in the system for an upgraded 10" for a small premium that'll still keep you close to $1,200 for the system.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
A setup from axiom will do him well. M22ti's for the fronts M22ti's for the surround a VP150 center. Never heard a bad thing besides the fact that this setup will need a sub. Look at the reviews...they don't lie.

4 M22ti's shipped = $800
1 VP150 = $350

Total = $1150

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
A setup from axiom will do him well. M22ti's for the fronts M22ti's for the surround a VP150 center. Never heard a bad thing besides the fact that this setup will need a sub. Look at the reviews...they don't lie.

4 M22ti's shipped = $800
1 VP150 = $350

Total = $1150

Scott>G

Agent
I will Second the ELT-1's.

I do have them and they are incredible at this price point. The center channel is the jewel in the ELT set up.

If you want more bass than the sub that comes as part of the ELT package gives, Rocket's UFW-10 has been getting great reviews. Here is the link.

Good Luck

Scott>G

Agent
I will Second the ELT-1's.

I do have them and they are incredible at this price point. The center channel is the jewel in the ELT set up.

If you want more bass than the sub that comes as part of the ELT package gives, Rocket's UFW-10 has been getting great reviews. Here is the link.

Good Luck

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Thanks for the input guys. The Boston system seems good and he mentioned that he liked Boston speakers, so that is a good option. The Rocket ELT system also sounds like a good option as well, provided he could wall mount them ok. I will let him know about these two systems along with the Ascend speakers (which also look good, and are wall mountable) and see what he thinks. I think he will like the Boston package because he could listen to them first. Thanks, I now have three good packages too tell him about!

BTW: Axioms would be great and I thought of them, but I think they may be bigger than he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks