What's new

Builder wants my options on cabling/wiring... I need help. (1 Viewer)

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all. Time is winding down and we have our final meeting. Have to pick out options for the house as far as cabling/wiring is concerned. Let me tell you the goals and then I will tell you the options and please help me decide. Thanks.

Floor plan: http://www.drhortondc.com/communitie...s/newport.html In the basement and first floor, there is additional bonus space right behind the kitchen/exercise room of 12x23 feet. The bonus room plus the exercise room is where the dedicated theater will go. Total will be 18x31 feet (because of the bathroom we cant really make it 23x31). I guess maybe 6x23 or 8x23 feet will go to house equipment, media, etc. We will not be getting the basement finished and the builder will not put up any studs or framing for us.

Goals: Dedicated theater/media room in basement. Each bedroom to be able to watch tv, satellite, cable, whatever media we choose to have. Also each bedroom to have access to the home network. I already have a wireless system, but I would like to get printers for each room. In the theater room, we will have projecter/screen/all that jazz. I would like to distribute audio and video from the theater room to different areas of the basement (bar and recreation space) and to the family room. We will also have a home pbx. The office will be on the network as well and will have access to video. I think that's about it.

Builder/Brinks options:
1. OnQ Structured Wiring - one 12 inch panel enclosure, one 6x6 telecom/video module, one cat5e and one qs-rg-6 cables for incoming services, standard phone and tv/video outlets per plan, wiring installed using the home run method. "Provides a foundation for high speed services" - $400

2. Home entertainment - One OnQ home video engine module with auxiliary input, one 6 port outlet wallplate - video/telecom/data, two cat5e cable runs to outlet, three qs-rg-6 cable runs to outlet, and 3 rg6 runs to attic from enclosure. "This upgrade allows for video distribution network to all active tv/cable outlets. Typically used to distribute signals from cameras, satellite receivers, tivo, dvd players, etc. In addition this upgrade amplifies the video signal and is recommended if there are seven or more active video outlets" $710

3. Ultimate Structured Audio 4 room/zone a-bus - one OnQ a-bus 4-zone module in enclosure, 4 inceiling 80-watt blue line speaker pairs with 16 awg wiring, 4 amplified premium volume control keypads with IR capability with cat5e runs, 1 OnQ a-bus home entertainment connection center and 4 local source input locations with cat5e runs. "Supports one central audio input for all locations and one local source input for each room that will override the master source when local devices are plugged in. This upgrade allows for advanced distributed audio to four room locations over cat5e wiring and uses amplified volume controls that provide high quality sound." $3075

additional options include cat5e and rg6 runs $80 each, satellite prewire panel to attic with 4 rg6 runs for $200, multimedia 4 port outlet 2 rg6 and 2 cat5 $200, OnQ anyline adaptor $60, Black and White modulated camera indoor or outdoor $475, OnQ video engine amplifier $215.

I thank you all for any advice you can give me. This was taken straight from the Brinks brochure. I didnt put the speaker options becuase I didnt like the way they looked and I dindt know if I should actually get their speakers.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, i already did the options. i got a bunch of prewires at 80 bucks a pop. and got some multimedia outlets all over the place. i wanted to be covered for jsut about anything, but didnt want all these outlets showing where we wouldnt have furniture. i will check out the site. i didnt get anything done to the basement. they way the builder designed it, it was jacked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks