What's new
World Wide Stereo

need some help with apartment setup (1 Viewer)

jeff.m

Agent
hi guys, kinda new around here and i need some help. i've read as much of the faqs as i can and i've done searches to try to find this info, but quite frankly, there's too much information for me to try to process in a short period of time.

what i'm really looking for is a decent setup for an apartment. i've got a decent sony reciever that will eventually be replaced with a harman/kardon, but i want to get some decent speakers first. all i've got now are two kenwood 12" floor speakers. i want to get rid of those and get a 5.1 system. size of the speakers is only an issue for the rear speakers b/c i would like to wall mount them. i like the idea of buying a matched set since i'd like the sound to be consistent as it travels from one speaker to another. i've seen lots of brand names tossed around in here, but does any one brand stand out for a smaller room? room size is approximately 15x14. i'm much more interested in quality of sound than volume. i'm looking to spend $500-$700 on the speakers, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Are you talking $500-$700 for all 5 speakers plus the sub? If so, you will have to look at something like fluance speakers and get a a sub from another co. But to keep it that low, you will need to get something like the partsexpress Tiny Mighty sub- do a search here for info on that sub. This will keep you at budget with shipping and tax, etc. Aperionaudio might have a good deal that puts you a little over budget (I can't remember if their system comes with a sub or not though). My first thought, however, especially since you are talking wall mountable rears was for you to go to JandR.com and check out the jbl E series. The 10s for rears, the 30s as mains, and then the money speaker- the EC35 center. Folks here love their jbl and they say they're a good match for the HK units. Their looks may be a WAF issue, however. If that's an issue at all. Take care and good luck,
José

jeff.m

Agent
no, the sub will be a seperate purchase. thanks for the info. WAF isn't an issue. not married just yet :) i'll check out the jbl's. anyone else have other suggestions?

Daman

Second Unit
Jeff, Also check out Energy Take5's. Very good satellite speakers with all positive comments about them. You may also want to check Athenas and JBL's along with these(im sure there are lot of other good speakers but these ive heard). If you can decide bring them all home and review them and decide which you like best.

jeff.m

Agent
well, i went and listened to a few different brands. jbl, bose, boston accoustics, and energy. i have to say i'm really impressed with the sound of the energy's. right now i'm looking at getting the c-3 bookshelf speakers with a c-c1 center channel. i'll eventually end up getting some energy rears, though i'm not sure which ones yet. anyways, does anyone have suggestions for online stores? i've looked on e-bay and found:

c-c1 for $245
c-3 bookshelves for $315 for the pair

are those good prices? i can't post a link b/c i don't have enough posts yet. i wanted to compare the prices to some other online retailers, but i'm having trouble finding some. anyone know where to look?

Daman

Second Unit
Great choice Jeff!! I myself have Energy C3 mains along with CC1 center,CR1 side surrounds and C1 rear surrounds. :emoji_thumbsup: I had located a dealer near my place and bought it from him. You can do a search on http://energy-speakers.com and locate one near you. If you want to buy online goodguys.com is one website i know of. But the dealer i got them from gave me a better price than i could find online, so i bought from him. Those prices you are getting for C3 are pretty good actually, i bought my CC1 also for a similar price. All the best and happy listening.

jeff.m

Agent
yeah, i've looked at good-guys. that's actually where i heard them. i was on a business trip to california so i stopped in and had a listen. there are two dealers semi-close to me (dallas) so i think i might go to one of them to listen again to be sure i like them. and i'll check their prices, too. i wonder if they'll match prices. i do like the idea of buying from a local shop b/c i like supporting local businesses, but if the price difference is more than $100 then i'll have to go the ebay route.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Jeff:
Though I've never owned Energy speakers, I've heard them quite a bit.....I'm in love with their Veritas speakers and came very close to purchasing them a couple years back. Anyway, you can't go wrong with them. Energy speakers are very positively regarded both critically and with consumers.
:emoji_thumbsup: bro

jeff.m

Agent
garrett thanks for the suggestions. i checked out all of those homepages, but i didn't see anything that made me reconsider the energy's. suggestions are still welcome, though. i like to see all of those types of options.

another energy question: on the energy homepage it says you can run the speakers down to 4 ohms. anyone here ever tried them at 4? i guess you get more power out of your amp that way, but i wouldn't want to take the chance without knowing the risks/rewards. anyone got any input?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks