What's new

Need some clarification (1 Viewer)

Jon Cheung

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, I got a simple question needing answers. K, I've heard that plasma monitors for computers cannot be used in the dark because it needs external light to work, I've heard that with tv's as well. Is that true? Are there plasma tv's out there that can be watched in the dark? My friend said not to get a plasma and wait until they comeout with thin crt's because of that reason. Thanx in advance.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A bit more detail: while almost anything is possible from a technical perspective, thin CRTs are pretty much not going to happen. This is because of the distance needed to deflect the beams from their source to the display. Mirrors are used in (most) RPTVs to shorten the horizontal distance required, using a vertical path for some of the beam’s length.

Plasma displays, on the other hand don’t require any physical distance because the picture is generated directly on the display. This also results in no distortion due to convergence issues.

Given that Cathode Ray Tubes (CRT) has existed since the 30s (and in TVs since the 40s) your friends advice to wait for a ‘thin’ CRT display is likely misplaced.

Plasma displays do not require any external light in order to work. The screen generates its own picture and is not dependent on reflected light. You and your friend can go to any HT store where the sales rooms are darkened in order to test this out. If there is a Tweeter near you, this will be good enough.

Jon Cheung

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome, thanx guys for the replys, I guess my friend was mixed up with something. Thanx again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks