What's new

Yamaha 3050 set up 7.1.4 (11.2 spkrs) (1 Viewer)

HDTVGCL

Auditioning
Real Name
Germain Lavoie
Hello All,
Took the proverbial plunge for the upcoming holiday's purchasing Yamaha Rxa-3050. Can't wait to replace it with existing Pioneer Elite Vsx-44. Nothing at all wrong with Pioneer but want to get best sound possible with set up.
My question is related to setting up the 11.1/2 speakers. That is, I will have the conventional 7 speakers but want to actively run as well front and rear presence speakers at same time.
Clarification here needed on owners manual dealing with this matter. (hearing different answers in this one)
Reading the manual, it looks like all speakers "CAN" be connected to speaker terminals. But does it mean that when I have unit on and playing (say a movie), all speakers will work in 11.2?
Or some speakers made inactive?
Read on this forum and others users stating try first try this configuration and see what happens. I do have 2 powered subs by the way.
However, I also read (forums and manual) in order to have 11.1/2 (7.1.4) an external amp needed.
I hear differently online/forums to hook 2 channel stereo amp to front speakers while others saying surround/presence speakers.

So my question is maybe using an 2 channel stereo amp but which one without breaking the budget? Someone on this forum stated the Audio Source as a choice. What others are options $100-200 range?
Additionally, the wiring of the amp to 3050 and speakers would be nice to know so there are no issues.

By the way, I do not intend having an "zone" set up, strictly in living room.
Been following for years audio trend and want to get into Atmos, DTS-X and so on. I have an extensive movie collection (3100+ BD/3D/DVD) achieving best sound for home system.
I appreciate your patience and understanding reading my concerns and hope on understanding next steps needed for a solution from the Home Theater guru's found here.
Thank you for any and all that respond.

Beside others choices, which may be better amp Dayton Audio APA150 or Audio Source Amp100?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Welcome to the Forum!

Reading the manual, it looks like all speakers "CAN" be connected to speaker terminals. But does it mean that when I have unit on and playing (say a movie), all speakers will work in 11.2?
The manual says on Page 19 that the amplifier has only 9 channels. You can connect up to 11 speakers, but you can’t use them all at the same time, unless you add a stereo amplifier for the 10th and 11th speakers. In addition, the front and rear presence speakers will only work when the music or Cinema DSP soundfields are engaged. They will not work with straight Dolby Digital/DTS or direct stereo.

Additionally, the wiring of the amp to 3050 and speakers would be nice to know so there are no issues.
Run a pair of cables between the front or rear (your choice) Yamaha’s Presence RCA output jacks (white field) to the amplifier

Beside others choices, which may be better amp Dayton Audio APA150 or Audio Source Amp100?
The presence speakers aren’t critical, either one will do fine.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

HDTVGCL

Auditioning
Real Name
Germain Lavoie
Thanks for the lucid answers about my situation. The more I read into it and check this and other forums, I understand better how it all works out.

That is, layout, hook up and so on.

On the amps, I was looking to see if there was a preference of one over the other by users found here.

I guess a matter of the case design (rack vs an elongated cube).

I'll probably use the amp for the presence speakers (front or rear - not decide yet) rather than mains.

As quoted above, "In addition, the front and rear presence speakers will only work when the music or Cinema DSP soundfields are engaged."

Does it apply to any sound source (movies, radio, etc) or only sound encoded with proper data?

That is, by selecting and engaging on the receiver Cinema DSP soundfields, the content heard will be heard on all speakers?

Hope I can make sense here. I just thought receiver will decode only what it can for all speakers utilizing all 11.2 speakers with proper material.

Gch

Auditioning
Real Name
Gavin Grosenbacher
GCL,
I just purchased the same receiver last week but it hasn't come in yet. Did you have any problems hooking up and getting started? Also how is the remote with the 3050? I have the old RX-Z1 and U've had it since 2003 I believe. It had the touch screen remote and it still works today. I can control my lighting as well as the receiver and other devices but the new remote doesn't look like it will?
Thank GCH

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks