What's new

need some advise (1 Viewer)

MitchL

Auditioning
I would like to upgrade mt HT but don't have the foggiest idea where to start. Currently have a JVC theatre in a box system. TV is wide screen Mitsu #wt46807. Please help with some suggestions. Budget is approx. $1200 for tuner and $1500 for speakers and sub. This is my first post if I have not given enough info please let me know. I am willing to take the time needed to make this decision the right one.

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
Tell us what you like to listen to and the percentages of HT vs. music. How big is the space you want to fill with sound? Are there any aesthetic/decorating restraints?

MitchL

Auditioning
OK,We watch hdtv approx 90% of the time, listen to music and watch dvd the rest. That will change with the new system I hope. Joined dvd club and will start purchasing soon. space is 20 x 20, a clear canvas ready to be drawn.
Please help

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
For a twenty by twenty space, I would recommend any of the recievers that are solid, 35-40 lbs. plus weight that can put out at least 75 watts into 7 channels. (Denon, Harman Kardon, NAD, Yamaha, etc., the list is long)

A single subwoofer capable of filling the room is going to cost at least $400-500. You could get along well with the entry level SVS or HSU research models and add another later if you're a bass freak.

Speakers are so personal that recommending any is like trying to buy clothes for someone else. Read all the posts on what brands people like and rave about. Find them in local stores if you can and listen to them. I just can't recommend any I haven't heard. Here's what I think;

Bose- cheaply made plastic cabinets with dime store drivers that have limited response and obscene prices. Cute little speakers you can hide.

Best buy carries some called Athena's and I thought they sounded the best in the store. Circuit City has a bunch of speakers and I don't really like any of them- but I don't spend much time in there listening either. I have liked some models from Klipsch but generally don't like horn drivers. There are some smaller specialty stores around but they will not be in this $1000 range, most likely.

I love to buy used speakers. If you are careful, you can buy some great sounding stuff off the internet for next to nothing. Since this is a new place, you probably don't want any old stuff though. So consider the internet vendors for new speakers. Try them out in the new place and send them back if you don't like them.

I am a planar/ribbon fanatic. I think you owe it to yourself to at least consider what an entry level system of four Magneplanar MMG's would be like in your place! Check out the 60 day trial for a pair. Many guys think I'm nuts when they walk into my place and see these big panels... until they hear them. Then their wives start shooting me the evil eye...

Sorry no one else is responding.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Denon 3803
Velodyne 15" Sub
Spend the rest on the set of speakers you like the sound of the best.

20' x 20' with decetnly high cielings, will probably even have the Denon 3803 without much headroom at all at sustained reference levels, using moderately efficient speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks