What's new

Need Projector Advice (1 Viewer)

Festone

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Eisenstein
I am trying to make a final decision on a 1080p projector for under $3K. I think I am down to 2 models, but could use some advice. Here are the 2...
  1. Epson Powerlite Home 1080 (in which case I would just wait until the UB model comes out in December 4500:1 native contrast, 50,000:1 dynamic, 1600 lumen)
  2. Optoma HD80 (10,000:1 contrast, 1300 lumen) which would get me started now)

I am moving from a 57" RP CRT HD monitor and wanted to go with a combo 50" LCD or plasma with a motorized 110" screen and projector for movies and occasionally games.

Where I need some help is with the following questions:
  • I have read one report that says that LCD loses picture clarity and color richness over time, whereas DLP loses almost none. I am not sure if that is true, but with my plans to use this setup for 4+ years, it would actually matter. Should I be worried about this?
  • I am most interested in clear, 3 dimentional images with good contrast and probably a little less worried about the screen door effect or rainbows that have plagued both technologies in the past.
  • Should I care about HDMI 1.3 compatiliity in the projector?
  • The relative inflexibility of the Optoma will not be much of an issue, since I can place the projector over the seating area and be within the flexible projection range of the, but will the noise be a problem?
  • Are there projectors that I am missing that are in the same range but possibly better options?

There is some ambient light in the room (but can mostly be controlled) and the wall color is like a dark beige, so not a perfect room for projection, but at 1300 lumens or more, I should have enough brightness with either one.

I would appreciate your thoughts!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Jon!!
you should be consulting your friendly knowledgeable calibrator for complimentary assistance BEFORE you purchase :)
Available 24 x 7 for established clients.
Shopping is half the fun!

Gregg

Festone

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Eisenstein
Thanks, Gregg. I am ready for the upgrade. The Hitachi has served us well, but I am ready to go bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks