What's new

Need opinions on Bryston amplifiers... (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Hi guys...thanks for the input. Rajiv, the extensive perspective is appreciated. I can't wait to find a Proceed dealer....I'll comb the Seattle area.
I, too, have only heard the B&Ws on Krell gear. I love the sound, but my options are full MSRP at the local B&M. I have the opportunity, as I said, to pick up the Bryston for Canadian price, American dollar. BTW, I am in Alaska, not Canada as I believe Justin thought. It's very close, however, very far away from Candadian society. Their aren't any dealerships until as far south as Edmonton and Vancouver. Fortunately, we get out a couple of times a year by plane. The alternative is a couple thousand mile drive :)
Shane mentioned,
"As far as Bryston's go, they are really revealing of your other components and I'd be curious of how decent of a noisefloor your 5800 has. "
I believe the S/N for the 5800 is in the high 70s, maybe 77 or 78. I know this doesn't compare to some of the upper 90 pre/pros....will I notice the difference?
I've looked at the next line down...the Rotel 1095, B&K 7250, and the Parasound 2205. They are all very nice and sound good, but the Krell and Mac gear seem limitless when I audition them....like you can keep turning up the volume and never hear anything but gorgeous sound.
I believe that when it is time to hand over the 5800 for a pre/pro...I will look at pre/pros that are very 2 channel friendly. Obviously, one that will perform HT duties well, but the musicality of the pre/pro will be my focus. I would even be willing to have a seperate HT pre/pro if it meant music quality degradation to only use one. For these reasons, I can only see investing in high quality amps the first time out....amps with things like 20 year warranties, and build like a tank. The more I've read about purchasing amps....regardless of Sound and Vision or some of the boutique European rags....they all agree that the double down of power is essential in your decision making. For this reason, I will stick with the $5k +/- price point. If there is one thing that COULD last for 20 years without obsolesence, it's our seperate amplifiers. At least this is one of the arguments I've remembered come up time and time again in the seperates vs. receiver debate.
Again, thanks for your insight everyone. I will still audition the Brystons...but I will continue to keep my eyes open and not cut any corners. It's a decision I don't mind taking time with.
Also, if anyone could comment on the noise floor of the 5800 and it's ability to be externally amped with revealing amps....it would be appreciated.
Jeremy

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,
http://products.search.shopping.yaho...&q=&X=1&clink=
Definitely audition as many of the different brands as you can. As you know, different combinations of equipment can give you different results so any criticisms of Bryston amps should be taken with a grain of salt. All of the mentioned brands are excellent performers, you just need to find the right combination that works for you.

Dave N.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also trolling for amp info. Can anyone comment on the Aragon 8008x5 compared to Bryston and the other amps mentioned here. I have now way of getting a local demo of either.
Thanks,
Dave

KeithR

Second Unit
Regarding the Krell, the KAV series is not typical Krell build quality, and I would not recommend it for such fine speakers- You need to step up to the FPB series to get some power. The KAV series looks cool, but has to be one of the worst sounding values in home theater. I also agree, that they run hot as hell, so you better have ventilation. However, Classes run hot imho as well.
Krell can be a little hot for the B&Ws, but audition and see what you think. I guarantee you it will give you bass like you have never heard though before on the 802s.
If you go used, you can pick up all these amps for 50% off, so keep that in mind. Even with shipping so far, you will save a bundle.
KeithR

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of points:
"B&K and Rotel: mid-fi! That's a good one!"
Actually that is the proper classification.
Krells do sound great with B&Ws - perhaps they use Krell to voice their speakers?
Bryston used to be a little bright but are not anymore. They are extremely neutral - if you find them bright the problem is up or downstream.
I don't know how much you plan to spend but you should consider Theta - best amp I've heard in my system (I've heard a lot)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You know this is a good thread that hasn't gotten to the point of "Double blind test BS". Let's keep it this way as it's quite an easy yet comfortable atmosphere :)
"B&K and Rotel: mid-fi! That's a good one!"
Actually that is the proper classification.
I was going to say that as well. They maybe expensive for some or cheap to others but in the grand scheme of things they are mid-fi.
Jeremy,
I'd consider the very music friendly Onkyo Integra RDC7. They actually upgrade it too, no myth
biggrin.gif

Another option in the same price range is the Tag Mclaren which is the upgrade king at the moment right behind Meridian.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Another option in the same price range is the Tag Mclaren which is the upgrade king at the moment right behind Meridian."
I haven't REALLY gotten to the point of choosing my next Pre/Pro....but I have considered which I would like best :)
I really do love my 5800 and I'm not about to get rid of it any time soon....However, the Tag looks like the real deal when it comes to a pre/pro. I think the guy's name is Buzz, he hangs around avscience. He must work there, as he's very knowledgable about it's abilities.
The Meridian stuff is VERY, VERY expensive. I was just reading a review of their new DVD player....seems like it was $4.5k....without progressive scan, doh!
It's almost lunch time here in Anchorage and I'm heading down to the Krell dealer to enjoy some tunes.
See ya,
Jeremy

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Actually you can get a Meridian pre/pro for about the same money as you could a Tag. The 568 I believe would run you about $4-5k as would a Tag. Meridian doesn't have analog bypass though but their software which they develop is nothing short of phenomenal.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Well 2 amps that have not been mentioned are Aragon and Sunfire.
Aragon has never gotten the respect they deserve and I have often read they are referred to as the "Poor Man's Krell". On Audiogon, a 8008BB (200Wx2) can be had for 1500.00, 8008X3 (200W x3) for $2K, or look for the Palladium Monoblocks which are 125W of Class A power (I think it's 400W of Class A/B power) usually about $2800-3K PR. I have listened to Aragon's with Revel Speakers and they blew my mind!!! I don't remember hearing such effortless power before.
As for Sunfire, I have not heard this amp but I have read MANY comments by a member on one of the other forums who has 6 N802's in his 7.1 system and (if I am interputing him correctly) he has not found another amp that FOR THE MONEY has made it worth for him to upgrade to! (sorry Mr.Cooper if I got that wrong).
I have also seen several people that are happy with Bryston amps mated with B&W's and Krell is also a popular one. Look for a KAV250A/3 on the used market.
I hope this helps!
Mike
p.s. Buzz Goddard is the Sr. VP of Tag McLaren Audio in Norwood MA. I think when you look at the upgrades that Tag has offered so quickly AND the type of direct customer service access you have to Buzz...that is an unbeatable combo!!
[Edited last by Mike Burke on November 07, 2001 at 03:20 PM]

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Jeremy,
When your in Seattle head to Definitive Audio ( http://www.definitive.com/ ) . They sell B&W as well as Proceed and all of the Madrigal line for that matter. I haven't heard B&W with Proceed first hand. But I do like the Proceed amps and you could get an audition set up. May want to contact Guy Olivera. Very knowledgeable with some strong opinions. But will take plenty of time for any questions.
The Tag McLaren is a fine Pre/Pro but, without analog bypass at this time I would only consider it for HT only. Unless SACD is not in your future. B&K Reference 30 may be something to consider. Although, I don't think it's been upgraded to DPLII yet.
I own both the Rotel 1095 and 1090 amps and I consider them mid-fi in comparison to McIntosh, Proceed, Mark Levinson, Krell etc. But budget does come into play but for a few.
------------------
Enjoy the Toys!

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, once again.
I will stop through the Definitive Audio shop in Seattle, it's on my shortlist.
I did get a chance to listen to some Krell gear today and while I am impressed, it's really my only option in the Great White North. Also, they were powering N-804s. They are great speakers but they are very light in the bass department.
I can't wait to get into a REAL city and check out some REAL gear :)
Thanks again,
Jeremy

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,
You brought up the fact that Meridian doesn't make a progressive scan DVD player and scoffed at the idea. As a custom installer with a very critical eye for video quality I agree with Meridian reasons for making an interlaced DVD player at this point. I have not seen one progressive scan DVD player (and I've seen plenty) that did not exhibit significant problems. Meridians theory is that you make an interlaced player that is of exceedingly high quality and then you process the signal through a scaler that was made to do the task (like the Faroudja NR scaler) at a resolution that most closely matches the sweet spot or native resolution of the display device. Then and ONLY then will you see what your display is capable of outputting.
As for Bryston amps being "bright". If you mate ANY amp with a bright speaker (like Thiels) you will get a bright sound. I install Bryston and when mated with a smooth speaker like a Dynaudio or a Revel F30 it makes for a wonderful combination. The thing that draws me most to Bryston is that they are neutral amps. They put out what they are sent. Other amps we sell (like Jeff Rowland and Mark Levinson) have a "sound". The Rowlands are so laid back you want to go to sleep and the Levinsons emphasize the *attack*. The problem then is whatever type of music you listen to will have that specific sound to it...whether it should be there or not. Many people love their Rowland and Levinson gear but what they are listening to could hardly be deemed "accurate". With amps like these people either love them or hate them. They also tend to be purchased as "faceplate" sales. Of course this is all my humble (yet educated and experienced) opinion. LOL!!

PomingF

Second Unit
Jeremy, try this ( http://www.stereo411.com ) for MSRP's. Their Bryston info isn't quite up-to-date but Bryston's pricing is pretty straight forward since all their amps sound the same and power/price usually go in proportion (e.g. expect the new 14B-ST costs just a tad more than a pair of 7B's, 4B-ST about two 250 power pak's, etc).
I use a pair of 7B's on my B&W and can't complain but I did not audition Krell, Proceed or ML for I don't intend to pay more on amps than speakers. Bryston is at a much lower price point than Krell, Proceed, ML or Theta. This plus it's power & neutrality won me over. I don't expect myself to keep the amps for twenty years but when I get ready to sell them would be nice knowing they still have leftover warranty much longer that for most new amps. I do have some Theta amps on order and will let you know how the Bryston's compare. Bottom line is go listen to all the ones mentioned.
PF

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"You brought up the fact that Meridian doesn't make a progressive scan DVD player and scoffed at the idea."
Bill, you must have me confused with someone else...no scoff from me. I would LOVE to be able to afford one of Meridian's DVD players and to be able to add one of Faroudja's doublers. That would be a very fine video set-up indeed, and I couldn't agree with your opinions on trouble free DVD playback more. I think what many video-philes need to realize is that DVD is NOT a pristine format nor will it ever be. I'm sorry if you considered it a scoff....but I was thinking deeper when I made mention of it being interlaced. In fact, I just got one of the "Recommended Component" rags and checking out some of the "High end" video processors available. Unfortunately, it's going to be a cold day in hell at my house before my bride allows me to spend $20-$30k on video transport and processing alone :) I'm sure you understand :)
That's a pretty sweet gig you've got...being able to play with toys like these. I really like Meridian's stuff, including the self powered, $40k speakers that look like their forged from marble on the back of all the mags lately. At this point, an all Meridian system remains a dream....maybe someday.
Poming,
Thanks for the link. It is very helpful as I begin my arduous search....can't think of anything I'd rather be doing :)
See ya,
Jeremy

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
All the amps mentioned here will more than take care of your need for clean power. I'll throw a few more names out there that you might want to check out.
McCormack - I own the DNA-2 Deluxe, best amp I've ever owned.
Citation 7.1 - a beast for the money.
Finally, Odyssey at odysseyaudio.com
from their website:
"Odyssey Stratos, at 54 lbs, and not even considering all of its special features that are included as standard, must be the current high-end heavyweight champion. Pound-for-pound it's the best there is at just $18.42 per pound."
Never heard the Odyssey amps but, with a 14 day money back and 20 warranty, I will be shortly.............
check the reveiws at: http://audioreview.com/reviews/Ampli...uct_3272.shtml
64 reviews, 5 out of 5 rating.... not bad
Regards,
geo
[Edited last by Geo on November 08, 2001 at 12:11 AM]
[Edited last by Geo on November 08, 2001 at 12:21 AM]

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
Potted meat with mustard on white bread is always good for an inexpensive meal. If I can't afford the potted meat, the mustad and bread work fine. Sometimes I heat a can of beans with the sterno or just eat an onion with a little pepper and mayo. After I finish upgrading my home theater, I'll probably invest in a stove and perhaps a refridgerator. Life has its priorities.
Best regards-Henry
------------------

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
I could never justify spending almost $3000 on an amplifier. I am not sure if anyone has look at the schematics on the Bryston website but I would estimate that each amplifier channel only has about $20 worth of parts on it. Add another $400 to $500 dollars for the power supplies and the casing and heatsinks and you have a grand total of maybe $600 dollars for a 5 channel amplifier. Also the schematics of the Bryston are very similar to a Pioneer amplifier I helped my friend fix a few months ago. I would also wager that Krell, Proceed, and Mark Levinson amplifiers all have very similar designs to the Bryston. My advice would be if you are looking to spend upwards of 5 grand on an amplifier buy yourself some books and build a better one yourself. You don't need an engineering degree to do it and you will learn something in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks