What's new

Sunfire Amps vs. Lexicon/Bryston (for Lexicon MC-1) (1 Viewer)

Brett M

Auditioning
Hi all-

I've narrowed my search for amplifiers to two brands. First, the existing setup: I've got a Lexicon MC-1 with B&W NT series speakers all around (9NT, CNT, 4xSNT), in a 7.1 setup. I need to add the power amplifiers.
I've heard good things from many of you about the Lexicon/Bryston amps, so choice 1 would be the Lexicon/Brston NT 512/9B THX and NT 212/3B THX, to drive the 7 channels. That's 120W to each channel.
The other option, recommended to me by some local friends, is the Sunfire amps: the Sunfire Cinema Grand and a Sunfire Cinema Grand Series II. In this setup, I'd have 200W per channel all the way around. I could also get the Cinema Grand and two monoblocks.
Any advice/opinions/thoughts?

Thanks!

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a MC-1 and now have started my search for amps as well. I got quite a few reccomendation for avsforum.com.

One you should check out is Citation 7.1 amps.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I've got a DC-1 paired with a couple of Brystons, and I love them. I can't tell you if it's the best possible combination out there for your Lex; I'm sure there are DOZENS of beautiful sounding amps that would fit into your set-up quite nicely. I almost went with Sunfires before deciding on the Lex/Bryston combo, but I finally decided that I liked the sound of the Brystons more. Just personal preference, of course. But do keep in mind that Brystons are rated VERY conservatively, as the actual power output will tend to be somewhere between 140W-150W. Also, with kids in the house, the 20 year warranty gives me peace of mind - honestly, what can you buy that comes with a 20 YEAR WARRANTY?!

In the end, I recommend just doing a lot of auditioning and going with what you prefer as far as sound goes. Once you get into this level of amplifier quality, you'll be hard pressed to find a "bad" amp. Just go for one that fits your criteria and sounds to your liking with your speakers.

Best wishes.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Brett,
Determine how much power you'll need in your listening environment here. Try to achieve 105db at your listening position.

Yogi

Screenwriter
My personal preference would be Classe for warm sound and Proceed for neutral sound and Lex/Bryston for slightly forward sound. My personal preference is a neutral sounding system so I would go with a Proceed AMP5 and BPA2 (for about $7000 MSRP).

I never really cared for the sound of Sunfire amps but thats just me.

Joe Casey

Stunt Coordinator
If you do go Bryston, choose Bryston and not the Lexicon version. Here's why:
1. Bryston's 20 year warranty
2. Lexicon now uses Crown for thier amps
3. Bryston is slightly cheaper.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I think that a good amp to go with the Lexicon would be a Cinepro 6.1 amp. I have seen nothing but rave reviews on the Cinepro's.

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Brett Hi I am in Lufkin TX. I sold my Ref 30 and picked up a MC-1 about 4 months ago. I had a Parasound 2205a which is a very good amp and it mated well with my Von Schweikert Audio system. I recently sold the 2205a and purchased a Cinenova Grande by EarthQuake.What an amp 300 watts of power per channel and the S/n ratio is one of the best in the Biz. This amp is a brute at 140 pounds and it is a true monoblock system.The sound in my system has taken on a new life.The 2205 took control of the bass very well, the Cinenova dictates.I looked at the Brystons and the Lexicon but for the price /watts per channel, and specs. The Cinenova is a steal!

Cheers,
Steve

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
I have B&W CDM 9NT speakers with a MC-12 powered by Bryston 4B ST amps and a 6B ST amp. I'm well satisfied with my set up. I think you woudl be happy with the Bryston amps.

Best regards-Henry

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Brett

Give the Sufire a chance. The Cinema Grand will easily put out 200 watts into 5 channels, and can handle 4 ohm speakers at about 233 watts X 5 simultaneously. In terms of bang for the buck Sunfire is hard to beat.

Bryston is step up from Sunfire, but at what price? I would guess that to match the power of the Sunfire you would have to spend at least twice as much on Bryston.

I also think that getting the Lexicon amps is totally fine if you can get them cheaper than the Brystons.

As far as which would sound better to you with your speakers is something you can only know if you can take the amps home and compare.

In my experience, no single amp is the best in all ways. Each has its own strengths. That being the case whichever you get will be a compromise in one or another area.

If you have the money for the Lexicon/Bryston you really can't go wrong. If money is a consideration, take a hard look at Sunfire.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks