What's new

Need help with new sound/video wiring (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Not sure where to post this need for help, but as it has to do with my Panny P50V10 (almost 10 years old and still has a beautiful picture,) why not here?

Although my set has the capability of of accessing the internet and to stream, I have hardly ever used this function. Recently, my HOA switched from Comcast to Hotwire, and I thought I'd check out its Viera Cast. And, BTW, I have been using a Firestick on this TV along with an AVR for surround sound. So, while checking this out, I saw that I would need to rearrange some of the wiring...reason for forthcoming question.

In order to use the TV's Viera Cast to stream, it needs a dongle, but I couldn't use a dongle as the way that the TV is enclosed, there was no room to place a dongle. So, the next best move was to use my DVD player (Panny DB-85) as the source for streaming. However, new wiring would be needed for the way that I envision the new setup.

Because the AVR (Yammy RXV-800) has no HDMI ports, here's how I am presently set up: As I chose the firestick use over DVD use, I had unhooked the HDMI (going to TV) from the BD-85 and hooked it into the firestick. Furthermore, as I wanted to utilize my AVR for sound when using the firestick, I had to use an HDMI audio extractor to direct sound from the firestick to the AVR (no sound from firestick goes into the TV). The connection between the AVR and the firestick was an optical cable. So, as you can see, I hope, with this setup the BD-85 was non-functioning (no sound or video hookups) and the TV could only stream via the firestick.

My quest now is to be able to use either the firestick or the DB-85. And here's how I think I can do it, but need confirmation on the correctness of the new wiring. Or, how you would do it?

I would get 2 short optical cables, 2 short HDMI cables, 1 optical cable splitter (2 into 1) and 1 HDMI splitter (2 into 1.) One short optical cable would come from the DB-85 and the other short cable would come from the audio extractor, both going into the splitter and the out cable being the one that was originally attached to the firestick as it goes to the AVR. One short HDMI coming from the firestick and the other short HDMI coming from the DB-85, both going into the HDMI splitter with the outgoing HDMI being the one (that was originally attached between the firestick and TV) attached to the outgoing port of the HDMI splitter. In this manner I feel that I can use either the firestick or the DVD player to stream, play DVDs, utilize Viera Cast.

So, would this be the new setup you'd use? As for the splitters, would I need to get splitters that have switches? Will image quality suffer due to the use of splitters? And if so, whose do you recommend? Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks