What's new

Need help with existing setup (1 Viewer)

Collin Yeo

Auditioning
Currently have the below stuffs setup by the "technican" but recently bought the Panasonic DVD player to replace the old VCD player. Now encounter some problem setting it up.

YAMAHA HTR-5230 60W 5CH AV Receiver
Sound of Nature Equalizer Amplifier
Panasonic DVD-K45
And a B&B 4 + 1 centre speakers.

Here comes the questions.

1) Whats the use of the receiver when I have the amplifer (though this amp don't support 5.1)

2) Can someone roughly tell me how the wiring goes about?
What I see now is roughly like VCD player left right audio to the amp, amp left right audio to the receiver, receiver out to the 5 speakers.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Is the receiver a multi-channel receiver, i.e., DD5.1/6.1 DTS, etc.? I believe your post said the receiver is 5.1. How about the amp, if the amp is stereo (2 channel)I doubt it will be of real use to you with surround sound since it would probably only boost the wattage to the mains. I could be wrong though. The receiver should have a separate amp built in. If it does not, you will have to get a 5.1 channel amp. I used to have an old Sony Surround system which was basically a Sony Dolby 2.0 surround with an external amp and separate receiver. It had 4 speakers, 2 mains and 2 surrounds with the rear channel being mono. The sound to the surround speakers was the same on the left and the right. This could be the case with your old amp. You need to connect the new DVD player via its digital output to the digital input on the receiver, either coaxial or optical. I am not sure how you would connect the amp to the receiver, but I think it is more than just a LR connection from the amp to the receiver. As far as the 5 speakers go, you should have 5 connections for LR Front, LR Rear and LR Center. Also there should be a subwoofer connection somewhere for a powered subwoofer.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Whats the use of the receiver when I have the amplifer
So hook up the DVD player to the amp and see what happens.

Here is what you will quickly miss:

- No volume control on the amp, or on the DVD player

- You have to hook/un-hook each device to the amp to use it.

Your receiver acts like the "PreProcessor". If you really want to use the amp, look into a separate, un-amplified "Processor". All your various devices will plug into the Pre, and there will be line-level outputs from this to your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks