What's new

need help with a new build in a new house especially for speaker placment (1 Viewer)

DavidZ

Auditioning
I moved recently and decided to redo the HT room. Before it was in our family room now it will be in a dedicated room over the garage. The room is 19 wide and 10 high and 30 feet long. It is not a box as the roof line partly follows the roof of the garage so on the long axis it is very sloped over about 6 to eight feet. There is a double window on the long axis and one on the right side and a door at the end of the other long axis. I upgraded my processor to a onkyo nr5008. I have in reserve two adcom 565 monoblocks at 300watts each if that is not enough power.( not planning on hooking them up right away) The main speaker are mirage 3si they are bipolar speakers and Stereophile rated them a B speaker( no longer in production) the center is a mirage as well as the surrounds. The sub is a mirage bps 150( probably next to be upgraded) The TV is a new Sharp aquos 810 led 60" I will be sitting around 9' from the TV. The fronts will be about 4 feet into the room about 9 feet apart and 9 from my ears. I am uncertain what to do about the surrounds. In our old house I had them at ceiling level about 8 feet up just behind the sofa close to a wall with an opening into the kitchen. They were firing into the long axis of the room.

My question is should I put them a bit lower on the sloping wall or all the way back( about 15 5o 20 feet away closer to the back wall. I could get another pair or speaker eventualy to do 7.1 but want to keep it simple for now. The mirages have been awesome speakers and also with moving buying a TV and a processor there is no money for new surrounds right now.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Try and keep your speakers ear level. If you mount them on the slopes, the will be facing at an angle.

Bipolar speaker for mains? I always thought that the bipolar and dipolar models were usually used as surrounds.

Your new receiver should have more than enough power for your speakers. I'd use the monoblocks for your sub upgrade. Buy (or build) a pair of passive subs. 300w into a quality 12" sub would really rock that room.

DavidZ

Auditioning
Mirage is a wonderful speaker http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1192mirage/ I have not fine tuned the fronts and I have a wonderful sound stage in stereo, I have omni mounts and can get rid of the angle the speakers have to face forward not towards the seating position as they work by reflected sound less precise but that is supposedly what you want in an ambiance channel any way. I am toying with rear speakers as well as I have an older pair of KLH 32 or B&W dm 22. I like the idea of using the adcoms for a passive sub. Any recommendations for brands?

DavidZ

Auditioning
I have the fronts and the center set up and the rears on a temp location so far so good

DavidZ

Auditioning
Thanks I decided 3 feet above ear level and slightly behind the soundstage is good. Now on to the subs

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks