What's new

Need help :Panasonic E85 v. Pioneer 810 (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Alright.....I need advice. I am going to get my first DVD-Recorder and have decided I want to get a hard drive with it.

The decision is: Do I get the Pioneer DVR 810-HS with an 80GB harddrive and TIVO or the Panasonic DMR E-85 with 120 GB harddrive but without TIVO.

I do not have TIVO yet and am wondering what is a better use of the money, more disk space or Tivo. I don't have any problems programming my own recordings, but I hear TIVO will "revolutionize the way I watch television."

Any thoughts are appreciate.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Alright.....I need advice. I am going to get my first DVD-Recorder and have decided I want to get a hard drive with it.

The decision is: Do I get the Pioneer DVR 810-HS with an 80GB harddrive and TIVO or the Panasonic DMR E-85 with 120 GB harddrive but without TIVO.

I do not have TIVO yet and am wondering what is a better use of the money, more disk space or Tivo. I don't have any problems programming my own recordings, but I hear TIVO will "revolutionize the way I watch television."

Any thoughts are appreciate.

I have the Panasonic without Tivo, and am delighted with it. Overall, I'd rather pick my own poison, but them I'm not into seeking out every episode of a given program, or Tivo's idea of what I might like.

I have the Panasonic without Tivo, and am delighted with it. Overall, I'd rather pick my own poison, but them I'm not into seeking out every episode of a given program, or Tivo's idea of what I might like.

Derek N

Agent
I also have the Panasonic and after a week its been great. I too tried to decide between these two. I liked the bigger hard drive and the good rep. on these things for Panasonic. What swayed the decision besides the above was the price at ecost. $529.00 is great for a new unit.

While others have had trouble with their TVguide function and it not downloading info, I have not had any of those issues. In fact mine was fully downloaded before the 12 hours they tell you to wait. I found mention in the manual that if you had more than 50 channels on there could be missing info. I went through and picked the channels I would be watching and was about at that number so maybe others just have too many channels on and thus the problems.

For me the phone line thing for the Tivo was a no go. There was no way I was going to run a phone line into the living room just for this unit. Other than that I think Tivo is actually a good service. Especially if you record certain shows on a regular basis.

Hope this helps a little.

Derek N

Derek N

Agent
I also have the Panasonic and after a week its been great. I too tried to decide between these two. I liked the bigger hard drive and the good rep. on these things for Panasonic. What swayed the decision besides the above was the price at ecost. $529.00 is great for a new unit.

While others have had trouble with their TVguide function and it not downloading info, I have not had any of those issues. In fact mine was fully downloaded before the 12 hours they tell you to wait. I found mention in the manual that if you had more than 50 channels on there could be missing info. I went through and picked the channels I would be watching and was about at that number so maybe others just have too many channels on and thus the problems.

For me the phone line thing for the Tivo was a no go. There was no way I was going to run a phone line into the living room just for this unit. Other than that I think Tivo is actually a good service. Especially if you record certain shows on a regular basis.

Hope this helps a little.

Derek N

Brian Co

Grip
The problem with the Tivo based units is you have NO ability to edit footage. Faced with this fact, the Panny was an obvious choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks