What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need help finding cheap sub driver for HTPC system (1 Viewer)

HungLe

Agent
Hello everyone,

Been a while since my last project with the Hawaii and the tempest sub. So recently I've decided to upgrade my computer speakers. I am planning on getting the Super Elf from creativesound since it recieved so many rave reviews. I'll add the rear speakers later when I have more money.

What I really want now is a good 2.1 system first. The problem is I don't really know what budget subwoofer to use. I would like it to be seal since the box would be smaller right? Plus it will be better for music, easier to build and plus I don't have a lot of space. I would like to keep the cost of the driver down as much as possible < $100. I did a search around and some people seem to like the JBL GT120 which comes to be around $80 shipped. Anything else you guys recommend? I don't need ultra low or even loud bass since my room is not that big, just something that would put the likes of the Klipsch Promedia to shame while staying within a small budget.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ken Cline

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Peerless 831858 8" DVC? I also wanted a very small sub, this fit the bill perfectly.

I bought one of these puppies from madisound.com for $27.50 (it's on their sale page). I gotta tell you, I didn't expect much from a 8" driver, but this thing kicks and is perfect for a computer sub. I've got mine in a 12" square (about 17 liters net) ported enclosure with 2 1.5 x 8.75 ports. I'm using the Cerwin Vega 100W plate amp available from apexjr.com ($60). So for about $100 I got a kick-ass little sub. It blows away any commercial computer sub that I've heard.

Here are some specs:

High-end 8" subwoofer. Peerless CC line. Double voice coil. Rubber surround, thick poly cone, extra-heavy magnet system. Great in small bass reflex or band-pass sub.
8 + 8 ohms; Fs 22 Hz; Qts .23, Vas 79.8, 90.5 db, 200 watts
x-max 7 mm

15 liters ported
Port size 1.5" x 5.4" or 2" x 10"
F3=45 Hz

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I just ordered a cheap sub amp from Apex and along with the info on the amp is someone's project for an inexpensive computer sub. Here's the link.

HungLe

Agent
What do you guys think of this Dayton 10in?

I was messing around with WinISDlite and it can be tune to 30Hz versus the Peerless 45hz. The xmas is smaller though. Comments?

HungLe

Agent
A member from diyaudio forum suggests this

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/w8-740c.htm

I have to say this make my decision harder. I am still learning, anyone with experience cares to run these drivers through simulation and guide me to the best one? They are all in the same price range. grrr. decisions!! hehe.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I like that little Tangband, it looks like it would make a really cool computer sub. I've been thinking about doing this project for a while but I always run into the same problems as you... speaker choice, shipping, etc. I'd be very interested in following your progress.

A few of my thoughts, just in cast they may help:
1) I wanted to keep a small driver size so I narrowed it down to 8" or 6.5".
2) I also thought about a dual 6.5" design, but it seemed more complicated. I'd still think about it if I could come up with an easy one.
3) What to do about a crossover?

Anyway, keep posting your progress, I'd love to see how it turns out. And I'm growing really fond of that Tangband woofer... lol.

HungLe

Agent
Right now I think I am going with the peerless. It seems to be a good combo of volume, power handling, small cab and decent bass. The Tangbang has a spike in the impedance that that forces me to tune higher than I want to. With the Peerless I can go with a 20L box tuned to 27Hz. The driver decays early but it is going at a slow rate. I figured since the sub is going to be up against the corner (being a computer sub) the room gain will help with the lower frequency giving me a pretty flat response down to 30.

I had a spare Adire Rava and some NHT superzeros that I set up on my computer.

Of course, some may consider this overkill ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks