need good barbeque cookbook

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

Last summer I used the barbeque four nights a week but it was all burgers, steaks and chicken breasts. I'd like to expand the number of things I can do on the barbeque but haven't bought a cookbook since The Gillian's Island Cook Book six years ago (still haven't used) in Nashville. Any suggestions?

jeremy

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques, A Barbecue Bible! Cookbook by Steven Raichlen. Superb, informative and comprehensive.
    It got lots of [​IMG] reviews at Amazon.

3. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Do a Yahoo search for recipes...I have gotten TONS from various recipe websites for indoor and outdoor cooking. Also..try websites for makers of grills...BBQ Sauce..food growers orgs...etc.

Also if you use usenet go to rec.food.recipes. It's moderated (no spam) and you can also request recipes there.

Happy grillin'!

4. Joel Endicott

Joel Endicott Auditioning

When I saw this the title of this thread I immediately thought of the book that Bill mentioned above.

I highly recommend it!

(I did the smoked salmon from the book and everyone who tried it thought I was a gourmet chef!)

5. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Any cookbook from Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. In particular, License to Grill and The Thrill of the Grill. Schlesinger is a fantastic chef, and these two cookbooks have some really unique and delicious recipes, License especially. Cornbread Stuffed Cornish Game Hens with Bourbon-Shallot Sauce sound far enough from burgers?

6. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also second bill's recommendation.

i have a different book by the same author and it does a great job of explaining bbq techniques in ways you can understand. a great example is this neat trick for measuring the amount of heat just by putting your hand over the bbq and counting. simple yet effective.

also, his recipes are great. the only way i'll bbq a filet mignon now is to first wrap it in bacon! yummy for my tummy!!!

[edit] - actually, i think it's the same book...

8. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

Not to start a semantic argument, but what you folks are talking about is grilling, not barbecuing. Barbecue uses low, indirect heat to very slowly cook your food. Smoke is usually a major component of barbecue. Grilling uses much higher heat and usually involves at least some cooking directly over the heat source. If you notice, all the books recommended here have "grill" or "grilling" in the title, so it's clear the authors understand the difference. Many true barbecue lovers get quite upset when grillers incorrectly use the term "barbecue" to describe their backyard cooking.
    As for grilling, Cook's Illustrated has a little book that I highly recommend. I took an online course in grilling a couple years ago and we used this book. Like most everyone who's ever set match to charcoal, I thought I knew all there was to know about grilling. I was wrong. I learned a lot during that course. Reading and following the advice in the Cook's Illustrated book will get you most of what the course covered. They also have a book barbecuing and roasting on the grill.

9. Bill Balcziak

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I think theres even more to it than that. It may mean grilling in some locales, slow cooking over flame in others, and in North Carolina, it refers to pulled pork BBQ. And don't get me started about those who mix the sauce into the BBQ, I can't stand it.

I'd look online, using the meat of choice that you want to grill. I recently found a dynamite tilapia recipe through Google, and the variety is endless.

11. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

12. Bill Balcziak

13. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I have a red round metal thing in which I put coals, light them and then later add my food. I want to buy a propane one. Am I grilling or barbequeing?

jeremy

14. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Jeremey,

You are grilling. If it takes 8+ hrs to cook your meat than you are probably BBQing...