What's new

need good barbeque cookbook (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Last summer I used the barbeque four nights a week but it was all burgers, steaks and chicken breasts. I'd like to expand the number of things I can do on the barbeque but haven't bought a cookbook since The Gillian's Island Cook Book six years ago (still haven't used) in Nashville. Any suggestions?

jeremy

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Do a Yahoo search for recipes...I have gotten TONS from various recipe websites for indoor and outdoor cooking. Also..try websites for makers of grills...BBQ Sauce..food growers orgs...etc.

Also if you use usenet go to rec.food.recipes. It's moderated (no spam) and you can also request recipes there.

Happy grillin'!

Joel Endicott

Auditioning
When I saw this the title of this thread I immediately thought of the book that Bill mentioned above.

I highly recommend it!

(I did the smoked salmon from the book and everyone who tried it thought I was a gourmet chef!)

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Any cookbook from Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby. In particular, License to Grill and The Thrill of the Grill. Schlesinger is a fantastic chef, and these two cookbooks have some really unique and delicious recipes, License especially. Cornbread Stuffed Cornish Game Hens with Bourbon-Shallot Sauce sound far enough from burgers?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also second bill's recommendation.

i have a different book by the same author and it does a great job of explaining bbq techniques in ways you can understand. a great example is this neat trick for measuring the amount of heat just by putting your hand over the bbq and counting. simple yet effective.

also, his recipes are great. the only way i'll bbq a filet mignon now is to first wrap it in bacon! yummy for my tummy!!!

[edit] - actually, i think it's the same book...

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
Not to start a semantic argument, but what you folks are talking about is grilling, not barbecuing. Barbecue uses low, indirect heat to very slowly cook your food. Smoke is usually a major component of barbecue. Grilling uses much higher heat and usually involves at least some cooking directly over the heat source. If you notice, all the books recommended here have "grill" or "grilling" in the title, so it's clear the authors understand the difference. Many true barbecue lovers get quite upset when grillers incorrectly use the term "barbecue" to describe their backyard cooking.
As for grilling, Cook's Illustrated has a little book that I highly recommend. I took an online course in grilling a couple years ago and we used this book. Like most everyone who's ever set match to charcoal, I thought I knew all there was to know about grilling. I was wrong. I learned a lot during that course. Reading and following the advice in the Cook's Illustrated book will get you most of what the course covered. They also have a book barbecuing and roasting on the grill.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I think theres even more to it than that. It may mean grilling in some locales, slow cooking over flame in others, and in North Carolina, it refers to pulled pork BBQ. And don't get me started about those who mix the sauce into the BBQ, I can't stand it.

I'd look online, using the meat of choice that you want to grill. I recently found a dynamite tilapia recipe through Google, and the variety is endless.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
When you mention barbecue, Jay, are you talking about Lexington style? KC? West Texas? Mopped, dipped or brushed? Brisket or stacked?
Yes. :D
I'm still finding my way through the many styles that can all legitimately be called barbecue. I've barbecued spare ribs, back ribs, pork butt, turkey, chicken, and brisket. The only one I was disappointed in was the brisket. The rest all came out great no matter what variation I tried. If I had to pick a favorite, right now I'd have to go with pork butt. Some smoked butt along with jalapeno and apple cider vinegar salsa on a flour tortilla is some awesome fusion cuisine. I'm making myself hungry.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I have a red round metal thing in which I put coals, light them and then later add my food. I want to buy a propane one. Am I grilling or barbequeing?

jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks