What's new

need budget receiver (1 Viewer)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Hello all.

Need a budget receiver for a 5.1 system.

Here are the components currently being considered.

Mirage Omni 350s for the fronts, Omni C150 for the center and an SVS PB10 for the sub.

Surrounds to be added at a later date in the near future.

So what would be a good option for a budget receiver.

The TV is a 46" DLP. The Samsung HL-T4675S if memory serves me right.

Have the Dish Network HD DVR and HD service and will need to add decent but not expensive DVD player. Will likley just run the HDMI directly to the TV from both sources. Unless a budget receiver can be had with 2 HDMI in and 1 out that will work well.

Thanks!

Also have a thread on the speakers over the speakers/sub section asking about the Mirage Omnis, but so far no replies.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Brian,

I recently had to purchase a new receiver due to my Integra blowing up and didn't want to spend a lot of $$$ either. I ended up purchasing an Onkyo 605 unit. My system isn't high end and this has fit the bill rather nicely. 90 W/C with 2 HDMI inputs for under $500. It can be purchased even cheaper from Robert Zohn although I didn't realize that when I purchased it.

The Onkyo 805 unit which I also looked at was more than twice the price and although a very nice unit it wasn't worth it to me to have 40 more W/Channel and 1 more HDMI input.

Some of the reviews I read on the 605 indicated that it ran very hot and had clicking noise in the speakers. I've experienced neither issue. Perhaps these problems were unique to the earliest units off the assembly line?

Good luck in your search! There are many good quality A/V receivers out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. My biggest frustration in my search was separating out the marketing hype from useful features.

Steve

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
get a harmon kardon reciver its only $200.00 at best buy I'll get one before I go off to a real college so My beautiful vintage receiver wont get blown out during a loud party...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks