What's new

Need an upscaling dvd player for my InFocus 4805. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I asked this question in the big upscaling thread but it doesn't seem to be getting much exposure there, i've got a 4805 FP on it's way to me as we speak and I know that it has a DVI interface on it and I would like to use it for an upscaling DVD player.

My question is what are a couple of players that will perform well, won't make my wallet cry and be compatible with the 4805? I'd really like to have the player in about a week, that's when the projector should be in.

Thanks for the help. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have the Zenith DVB 318 but using component for the upscaling. Try a search about Oppo where as it is getting really good reviews. Hope this helps a little. God forbid my Zenith breaking down, but if it did, I would look into the Oppo. My understanding it comes with a DVI cable and some testimonials that indicates that the picture is beautiful via DVI/HDMI.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you really want to do the upconversion the best bet is the Oppo. The Secrets shootout rates it very highly (which I think Oppo has links to on its site). It'll run you about 215.00 shipped.

HOWEVER, you should consider sparing yourself the expense and running an interlaced signal via component instead, taking advantage of the 4805's Faroudja deinterlacer. With the Oppo there would be two scaling passes - the player scaling up to 720/1080 and the 4805 scaling it back down to projector native res of 480. You don't actually gain anything as a result and may actually lose some picture quality (though you'd probably be hard pressed to point it out). I also read someone's post about the Faroudja not being enabled on the DVI port, but I can't confirm that. I myself use a region-free'ed Toshiba 4900, interlaced signal to the 4805.

I have been eyeing the Oppo because my RPTV takes 1080i via DVI, but I'm planning to wait until my Bravo D1 craps out.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

The Oppo (which can also be obtained from amazon for 199 with free shipping) does not use the Faroudja on its component outputs. The DVI (480p/540p/720p/1080i), however, does.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually I was referring to the Faroudja on the 4805's DVI (or M1) port.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks, guy's, the Oppo sounds good, a tad steep but I don't want to short-change image quality.

Guo, thanks, but I think i'm going to go with DVI, to be honest I don't want to spend 200+ bucks on a player just to LOSE some quality, even if it isn't precievable. I see no point in the player upscalng the image only to have the projector bring it back down again, sort of defeats my purpose.

I can get a 12' DVI cable for around $100.00 which isn't too bad to me, although after I get the player it may have to wait another week to get the cable.

BTW, are there any B&M stores where I can walk in and get the Oppo?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So just to be clear you are want to send 480p via DVI to the 4805?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I...suppose. To be honest, Guo, the whole concept of an upconverting DVD player is still a mystery to me, I know a little about it but am no expert, I know that it delivers a straight-up digital signal with no interlacing done on the players end like traditional players.

All I really need to know is that if I run DVI and the player does it's job of upconverting, will I see a difference in image quality at all?

At the moment, i'm running 480p with my X1 and a Sony player and it looks beautiful, i'm just wondering if it can get better.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't know if going from an analog to digital connection will be that impressive, all things being equal. But it ultimately comes down to your two eyeballs. So my recommendation is to do an A-B comparison with the Oppo sending 480p via DVI and the Sony sending 480i via component. If you wind up not wanting the Oppo let me know - I might be willing to take it off your hands.

Also, did InFocus send you an M1-DVI cable? Because that doesn't come standard with the projector.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, thanks, i'll read some reviews for the Oppo and see what I think, but from all accounts it sounds like a solid player anyway, plus it features Faroudia DCDi which is a definite plus. If anything, i'll hang onto the Oppo and ditch the Sony.

I haven't recieved the 4805 from Infocus yet, but I had already assumed that I would probably have to buy the cable myself. But, I figured i'm getting the 4805 for $99.00 plus two more years warrenty, so I can't complain too much, this is an unbelieveable deal already. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks