Best DVD player for Infocus 4805

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BrianMe, Jul 16, 2005.

1. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

My Infocus 4805 FP just came in the mail. I've been throwing it on a blank wall using my XBox as a source. I want to get a new DVD player. What is the best DVD player to get? I was thinking of getting an HD upscaling unit, but the 4805 will only do ED, so an HD unit probably isn't needed, right? So, what would be the best progressive scan unit to match with the 4805?

Thanks!

Brian

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I wouldn't waste my money on an upscaling player. Wait for the HD-DVD players to come out. A great thing about the 4805 and X1(that I have) is you don't need an expensive player or even prog. scan mode to get an excellent image, due to the Faroudja de-interlacer inside these 2 projectors. Most people with the 4805 seem to use their player in interlaced mode and let the Faroudja do it's thing. I can't recommend a specific player for the 4805. I use a 4 year old JVC with my X1 in interlaced mode, and the image is better than 2 other players I tried in prog. scan mode.

3. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

So maybe i could get a Samsung 850 or similar upconverting unit for my Samsung 4663 DLP, and move the 3-year old progressive Scan Sony to the 4805? I wish it had HDMI output though.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I'd hook it up to the 4805 and see how it looks. Make sure you set it to interlaced mode, and let the 4805's Faroudja do it's thing.

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The only thing about the Samsung is the fact that it received some bad reviews here and on AVS. My understanding is that upscaling players look better on fixed pixel displays and might work well even under 480p.