What's new

Need advice. Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

dreemin

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Greetings,

I need some advice on an AV purchase. I want to know whether this would be considered an upgrade ... (as I'm something of a newbie)...

I received a Sony HTIB DAV-FR1 (5.1) as a gift several years ago.

After I picked up a Sony 46" 120Hz LCD a few months back, I upgraded my old DISH DVR to a HD DVR (722). I plan on getting a blu-ray player in the near future ... likely the Panny BD35 ...

Now I want to get a quality sound upgrade. After doing some research I felt the Onkyo 606 was a good choice, so I ordered it online just before Christmas. I figured a speaker upgrade was needed too, so I got Polk Audio RM6750s (5.1 set) from another online retailer at the same time.

The DAV-FR1 boasts output of 110 w/channel ; the Onky 606 has 90 w/channel over 7 channels.

Then, I read a review that said that the 606 "dropped to 38W channel with 5 channels driven (at 8 ohms)".

So based on all this ... am I really getting an upgrade, or have I just spec'd out a system that is beneath what I currently have?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 606 will be a definite up-grade. In the Aug/'08 issue of Home Theater Magazine the 606 was rated 81 wpc X 5 and 73 wpc X 7 @ .1 % thd from 20-20k hz (8 ohms).

I couldn't find the Sony DAV-FRI on-line but these htib's are typically rated with one channel driven, at a fixed frequency (usually 1khz) and @ up to 10 % thd. And the total watt output often includes the subwoofer. Don't worry, you did good
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

dreemin

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt

Thanks, gene! I was thinking that I'd been a little hasty in my selection. I'm feeling a bit better after reading your posting.

The reviews on the FR1 were pretty good in their day (2004, now discontinued), but one of the cons was that the surrounds had no tweeter. ( Sony DAV-FR1 5-disc DVD Dream system at Crutchfield.com )

I'm hoping to hear the difference with the Polk RM6750s matched to the 606.

I've been concerned with reports of the heat thrown by these receivers, since it will be in a closed cabinet with about 2 1/2-inch clearance all around top and sides, and about 4 1/2 - 6 inches in back. Since my DISH DVR throws a good amount of heat too, I've thought about widening the opening at the back of the cabinet too allow for more heat to escape. I'm hoping to keep some of the "closed" look at the back, to hide the wires (and avoid modding the cabinet to add some sort of "exhaust fan").

(And thanks to all those who contribute here. You've helped me with understanding what I should be looking for; and I look forward to learning more.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks