Need advice on which 5 or 6 channel amp to buy....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gruson, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I finally have my Studio 40s up and running but I had to turn down all of my other speakers to match them.
    I am now thinking that these babies need an amp.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks and my equipment is below....
    ------------------
    Equipment:
    Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
    Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
    Paradigm PW2200
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Paradigm Studio 40s
    CV LS-15s
    CV LS-8s
    Toshiba 6200 Progressive
    Pioneer CLD704 LD
    Aura Bass Shakers
    1080i DirecTV

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Well, if you wait until September, Anthem (a division of Sonic Frontiers, which is owned by Paradigm) is coming out with a 7 channel (125W/channel) for $1500. Given the positive reviews of their other amps, this may be a real winner. Hope this helps.
    Here is a link to the amp.
    http://www.sonicfrontiers.com/frames/mixfr.html

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

For the Paradigms I would go with a warmer amp like the Parasound. An ATI, Sherbourn, or Outlaw may exacerbate the Paradigm's tendencies to run a little bright. IMHO.
    Try Parasound's HCA-1205A. It's 5 channel with a conservative 140 watts/channel.
    Exactly how much money are you willing to spend and what sized room is your home theater?
    Dan

4. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Well, my room is a good 30 by 12 with 8 foot ceiling, forgot to mention that. I wanted to keep the price of a 5 or 7 channel amp. around $1500.
    I am leaning toward either the Parasound 2205 or Sunfire 200x5 (I realize I will have to buy used to get around a $1500 price on these).
    I have really just started looking into amps so I am open to sugestions. I am running a 7.1 EX setup too and the EX channel is being powered by an old Sony receiver of mine.
    Thanks again,
    JW

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The Parasound HCA-2205AT (220 watts/channel) is retailing now for $1,999. If you can find a dealer that will discount the price, that would be very close to a used one in the $1,500 range of yours.
    Keep the receiver for now powering the back rear speakers and then add a stereo Parasound amp in the future.
    If the seven-channel, Outlaw Audio Model 770 power amp (~200 watts/channel) is a decent product the $1,795 or less asking price would make it worth using their 30 day money back guarantee to try it out on your Paradigms. Should be released in September.
    Dan
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 25, 2001 at 06:04 PM]

6. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Parasound amps mate very well with the Paradigm Studio line. It is a great synergy. I had the 2205at running 100's/cc/adp's and it was fantastic.You can find good bargains on Audiogon. I bought mine a year old and paid 1350.Plus they warranty for 10 years.Good luck. I am suprised Johan has not chimed in about Parasound.There are alot of Paradigm/Parasound users on this forum.
    ------------------

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You could take a look at Acurus and B&K.
    B&K Ref series are really nice. 5, 6, and now 7 channel amps. (3 channel amps too.)
    I have personally been using Acurus for years. I currently have two 200x3 amps for a 6.1 THX EX/DTS-ES set up. In an Audio magazine review a while back, they got 315W per channel into 8ohms, and 515W into 4 ohms, with a constant AC line voltage maintained. "200" x 3 indeed!
    ------------------