Question for those who work at home theater stores...(sales)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gruson, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

I know some of you guys have jobs selling home theater gear at stores like Tweeter.
    How do you like it? Are you paid a base + commision? Do you get a big discount on products? What are the normal hours?
    I love this hobby and was thinking about getting a job selling it to others, etc. and even calibrating the systems at the stores [​IMG] We need people who actually know home theater instead of the morons I see there
    Give me the scoop and feel free to email me.
    Thanks,
    JW
    ------------------
    Equipment:
    Mitsubishi 65907 65" HDTV ISFd Steve Martin
    Yamaha RX-V1000 6.1
    Paradigm PW2200
    Paradigm Studio CC
    Paradigm Studio 40s
    CV LS-15s
    CV LS-8s
    Toshiba 6200 Progressive
    Pioneer CLD704 LD
    Aura Bass Shakers
    1080i DirecTV

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I'm interested in hearing from you guys as well. There are a few Tweeters (formerly Audio Video Systems) in my area that I wander into from time to time. Fortunately for me (Charlotte area) though, the guys here seem to be fairly knowledgeable. If you don't want to post the details, could you send me an email as well? Thanks.
    Dan Hine

3. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

bump
    Anyone? At least one other person wants to know [​IMG]

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I would also like to know about the conditions at current Home Theater stores. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!

5. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Ever notice that the guys recommending that you should only purchase from authorized dealers are the same guys who buy their own equipment at wholesale or from friends in the business who extend near wholesale discounts?

6. Bruce Abar

Bruce Abar Stunt Coordinator

I know at least here in Canada, at A&B sound, you are paid a base rate, then commission. It goes on point or percent,(for example) if you have a speaker for sale in the store for $100.00, and you like the customer, you sell to him for $90.00, you get commission on the difference from $90.00 to what ever the base rate is, usally 20 to 30% depending on what the product is. Computers, T.V's, is very low commission because everyone sells them. In this store for examply a very good salesmen should make between 35,000 and $50,000 per year.
    ------------------
    Bruce
    www.dvdtracker.com/~bruceabar.asp
    http://bruceabar.tripod.com/theabarshometheater/

7. Steve Hill

Steve Hill Agent

if you want a job that most people could care less what you have to say as long as you have the sale items in stock.
    if you want a job that you have to be deceptive with people because the item that's best for them only has 1% commission, but the company is pushing a different brand that'not as good but it's commission is 5%.(and believe me you'll end up fibbing a bit because you're tried of doing the right thing and getting paid a lot less than the guy lying his ass off)
    if you want a job that that your boss hounds you about:
    total sales amount
    warranty percentage
    gross profit margin
    and accessory sales
    because if you don't maintain the minimum numbers your job is on the line, than electronic sales is for you!
    i did it for 5 years and was extremely good at it. one day i realized that i didn't want to do it anymore. i was manager of my own store and i just put my notice in and have never regretted it. it may sound it but i'm not bitter just happy i don't have to do it any more. now i just do the buying!

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i worked at both cc & gg for a few years. here's my take:
    commission: working in a commision environment can be gravy or it can suck. during the holidays i made really good money, but the rest of the time it's kind of a hassle. you have to worry about being there 8 hours and not selling a thing. you also have to worry about other salespeople "snaking" your sale. it can drag sometimes. but most places have a "draw vs. commision" plan. you're guaranteed to make X number of dollars per week. if you go under, they "subsidize" you. the problem is the next week when you go over they take back the subsidy. but when it's smokin', it's awesome. you can sell something in 15 minutes and make a 50 dollar commision...
    environment: the atmosphere is pretty fun. where else can you hang out and play with all the gear you love all day? you'll probably find "kindred spirits" there and make some new friends.
    co-workers: if you're lucky, you'll have coworkers who are cool, know they're stuff and play fair. in other words, they don't snake your sales. it can suck if you get a coworker who doesn't know the technology - then it's up to you to train the guy, which can be a good or bad thing. or you'll find someone who is just as hard-core as you, then it's always fun to geek around.
    management: it's all numbers. they really focus on your statistics. if you don't perform well they'll even harp you harder. you'll hear the same questions over and over: how much did you sell? did you sell the extended warranty? did you sell any hi-margin items? did you sell the extended warranty? did you sell accessories? did you sell the extended warranty? did you sell them a tv along with the new stereo they just bought? did you sell the extended warranty? you get the picture.
    customers: here's your bread and butter. you've got to be willing to take the good with the bad. there are lots of customers who don't know much and you've got to spend a lot of time with them to get them up to speed. you may spend a couple of hours (no kidding) with a custome and then they say thanks and walk away (a.k.a "strokers"). or else they'll come back and (because they don't know any better) buy the gear from a different salesperson, thereby blowing your commision out the door.
    so, i guess this is sounding kind of negative, but i don't think you should take it that way. i (overall) had a good time working there and (for the most part) enjoyed my experience. i can't say i really learned anything new. they do provide training and company reps often come in to tout their new product, but that's about it. you probably already have a better knowledge base.
    i may get a part time job again...but this time i'm gonna work for in a non-commission environment. i think it'll take all the stress away from the job.
    so, i think you should keep an open mind and give it a try. you can always bail if you don't like it.
    good luck...
    my .02
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

9. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I used to work Myer Australia back in 95/96,
    base was $11.50 an hour, and commission wasn't bad (which I used to buy things and go online, phone calls etc) - it's just free commission.
    Averaged $300 for a 20 hour roster while going to uni fulltime.
    I was #3 (after 3 months) out of 11 staff (#2 and #1 were fulltimers doing 40 hour weeks). #1 was a friend who trained me and we looked out for each other. I also became a supervisor.
    I sold with a conscience (took my own CDs for demos).
    it's easy if you're into AV.
    I used the savings (16 months) to live in the US for 9 months without an income.
    ------------------
    Yumbo - IMDVD