What's new

Need advice on number of back surrounds (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I just picked up a Pioneer VSX-811S and I want to set up a rear channel for EX and ES DVD's. I was looking for advice on whether I should go with the a single back surround speaker that get's the full 100Watts or a dual back surround speaker setup that would split the two into 2 50's?

Tanx

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Do two speakers if you have the room. I think your sposed to keep about 4 feet between the back centers.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Nate, don't let the wattage per channel cloud any decision you make here. First off, the Pioneer is probably not going to do 100 watts to the rear back channel anyhow when all 6 channels are driven. Second, the wattage is not split between the two speakers. The 6th channel has two connections for two speakers that are wired in series. This means if you hook up two rear 8 ohm speakers, it'll present a 16 ohm load to the receiver for that channel. This means that circuit/channel has a higher resistance and "current" won't flow as easily as say if you had two speakers wired in parallel (presenting a 4 ohm load to the receiver). This really won't affect things much other than you may have to bump up the volume level for that channel a bit when calibrating. This will really depend on how far they are from your listening position.

I also own this receiver, and have been testing it out during the 30 day return period and it's pretty decent for the price point and seems to compare well to the Onkyo SR600. I have 2 rear speakers hooked up and it works fine.

If you can, I'd go with two speakers in the rear and make sure to space them apart about 4 feet at least if you can.

cheers,

--tom

david.byrne

Auditioning
Tom,

Are you using direct, bipole or dipole for the surounds, this will be my next purchase/upgrade?

Dave

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Dave, I am using Cambridge Soundworks S300's for both side and back surrounds. I have them set in monopole/direct mode at the moment and that seems to work well. In that mode, they are identical to the Newton MC200 speaker. They were a little pricey for me but I figured I won't be upgrading my speakers for a long time so spending a little more now is ok. Ergonomically, they also go better on the shelving where they are located. being only 7 inches high and halfmoon shaped were definite advantages. As for sound, I like the Newton bookshelf series better - I have M50s as my fronts. It was either those or the Paradigm Atoms for the same price.

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks