What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Need a new desktop/tower (1 Viewer)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Hello all. I am a computer idiot. I know next to nothing about them and the language in ads and product descriptions is just confusing and means nothing to me. Here is my deal.

I need a new tower. My monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, are all fine.

I use the computer for email, internet surfing, online poker, downloading and watching some videos, downloading pics from my camera, burning discs and DVDs, normal stuff. I don't do any serious gaming. I have my XBox for that.

I am also cheap. So the cheaper the better. Also, I have heard nothing but horror stories from everyone I know who has encountered Vista, so I would like to avoid Vista.

Thanks for all your help and guidance.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Get a Mac mini. It's not very tall, though :)

There are some definite improvements in Vista, but a lot of downsides too. It may be tough to find a new computer at retail that does not have Vista (that isn't a piece of junk).

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would not skip Vista unless you use an application that you know is not compatible with it. Most of the issues people have with Vista are lack of compatibility issues. From what it sounds like you will use this for I doubt you will have any problems as most of those functions are built into Vista.

I would recommend just looking at Dell, HP or Lenovo and see what specials they have going. Also check out the stuff on the Deals page of this forum.

Shoot for a Core2Duo processor or the AMD X2 and then get at least 1GB of RAM and you should be fine. If you keep lots of pictures and videos I would shoot for at least 120GB hard drive. I would personally get Vista Home Premium if I was buying a computer right now. If your completely against Vista then get XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks