What's new

Need a new Computer! (1 Viewer)

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Since Windows 8.1 will no longer be supported starting in January, I'm going to upgrade my decade old computer. How come desktops no longer come with optical drives? At least that's what I'm seeing in my initial browsing of new computers.
Look no further, for now: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SwatDBOverlord/saved/pjWTYJ

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With Windows 11, I've been playing around between the two browsers Chrome and Edge. I must say, I'm preferring the latter in which I'm having fewer issues like pages not loading properly.
I have been a long time Firefox user, but I do occasionally use Edge if a website will not work properly in Firefox. It's a decent browser.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Because I do normally just leave my browsers open w/ a lot of oft-used tabs for regular visits and basically never shutdown my PC (though I do regularly put it or let it go to "sleep" nowadays), I've taken to using/leaving Edge open for certain specific tasks partly for my own usage organization -- I'm a tad "OCD" about how I have my desktop arranged, particularly for routine stuff, hehheh. Plus I do occasionally stream at my PC and use Edge for that partly because it can be set up to work like an "app" for each streaming platform.

So I end up normally keeping 1 instance of each browser open and use each for different tasks/visits generally organized around the kinds of usage I tend to have for them.

But yeah, occasionally, Edge does seem to load a site/page a tad bit better than Chrome, so there's that as well...

_Man_

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The great thing about those USB 3.1 flash drives is that they have become pretty inexpensive, even with the higher capacity. Over the holidays, I picked up a 256GB San Disk thumb drive for under $19. I wasn't really looking for another thumb drive, but at that price I jumped on the deal. I then swapped that device with a 64GB drive that I leave plugged into my laptop. I use it for primary data storage and swapping data to/from my desktop.
Flash devices have dropped in price just over the past year. I just bought a 512 GB NVMe SSD for $29 shipped off of Amazon. At the beginning of 2022 it would have been more like $50.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm having a difficult time leaving those two USB ports on top of my new desktop exposed without placing USB drives to keep the dust out. The USB drives are empty, but I can stand leaving those ports exposed like that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My Logitech wireless keyboard died last week. It and the corresponding mouse connected via a 2.4GHz wireless connection to a USB thumb dongle plugged into the PC. My initial fix was to order another Logitech keyboard / mouse combo (I bought a lower end model). However, when it arrived, both the keyboard and mouse seemed rather cheap compared to what I had before.

Then it struck me -- my new Dell desktop PC has bluetooth capability! So, I returned the Logitech and bought an Arteck bluetooth keyboard and Tecknet bluetooth mouse. I already owned a Tecknet mouse for my laptop (I hate those touch pads), so I knew I would like it. The keyboard works well, too, and it's rechargeable. No more Logitech dongle!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Yeah, I guess us PC dinos had gotten so used to the old wired and then dongled wireless keyboard+mouse combos that it takes us some time to realize and migrate to BT for that.

I should probably do that myself one of these days, but I'm still perfectly fine using a really old Dell keyboard+mouse -- well, at least I finally moved upto a laser mouse a handful years ago, LOL, but my keyboard is probably well over 10-yo now.

For me, the real issue is I just don't like the feel of most modern keyboards unless I splurge on one that probably costs at least $60-80 it seems. I'd rather just stick w/ my old tried-and-true and not spend any additional $ so far...

_Man_

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I bought three Microsoft "Natural" keyboards something like 25 years ago. I think they were $12 each on closeout at a computer surplus store in Santa Clara CA. While one is in use I can clean the grime off the other two. They have a PS/2 connector but the adapters to USB are still made and still cheap. I can type much faster and with less discomfort with these compared to the "straight" keyboards.

MS natural keyboard.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I bought three Microsoft "Natural" keyboards something like 25 years ago. I think they were $12 each on closeout at a computer surplus store in Santa Clara CA. While one is in use I can clean the grime off the other two. They have a PS/2 connector but the adapters to USB are still made and still cheap. I can type much faster and with less discomfort with these compared to the "straight" keyboards.

View attachment 176977
A quick search on Amazon for "natural keyboard wireless" shows many results for similar designs without the need for cables and PS2 to USB adapters. For my setup, I really do not like running keyboard / mouse cables or using up USB ports.

BTW, my all time favorite keyboard was the original IBM PC keyboard. Many, many years ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I grabbed a few of them from work that were being thrown out, and used them for several years until manufacturers stopped offering PC's with that old interface (I had issues getting the adapters to work properly).

design-medium.jpg

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
IIRC the original IBM PC keyboards were left-over designs from another IBM product. The team designing the PC was told by management they had to use that keyboard, probably to save time and development costs. The original PC was thrown together at the last minute, which is why they went with Intel and Microsoft rather than developing the HW and SW in house.

From wiki on the PC:
The 8088 had the advantage that IBM already had familiarity with the 8085 from designing the IBM System/23 Datamaster. The 62-pin expansion bus slots were also designed to be similar to the Datamaster slots, and its keyboard design and layout became the Model F keyboard shipped with the PC ...

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got a dumb question regarding new USB drives. Do I need to keep the following San Disk software on a new drive that I'm about to use for a downloaded firmware for another device? The reason I'm asking is the USB drive that I'm using for the firmware needs to be empty without any other files. Can I delete the following stuff from that new drive with only the firmware on it?

• SanDisk Software Microsoft Edge 294 KB
  • Install SanDisk Software.dmg DMG File 540 KB
  • Install SanDisk Software Application 691 KB

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got a dumb question regarding new USB drives. Do I need to keep the following San Disk software on a new drive that I'm about to use for a downloaded firmware for another device? The reason I'm asking is the USB drive that I'm using for the firmware needs to be empty without any other files. Can I delete the following stuff from that new drive with only the firmware on it?

Robert,

I am pretty sure you can. I never keep the manufacturer software on my external drive. However, the only caveat here is I'm Mac and you are Windows. Shouldn't make a difference, though.

Here is a way to test it without losing anything...

Copy those files to your desktop then delete them from the drive. If there are problems with the drive, you can copy those files back to it.

UPDATE:

Found this in a Quora search which pretty much confirms that you don't need those files:

Nothing happens except freeing up the space the files occupies.

The purpose of the pre-loaded software varies among different manufacturers and their drive models. In general, the tools cover the following operations

• Automating back ups or other back up options.
  • Diagnostic operations if any issue with the drive.
  • Encrypting the data.
It is not mandatory for the software to have all the above listed operations.

If you are sure you are not going to use the software, you may go ahead and delete and use the space for your other files. Deleting the software is not going to cause any damage to the drive.

But as you asked this question, I suppose it's being your first time with external hard drives, I suggest you to have a copy of the tool else where on your other hard drive and use the drive for a few days. You may proceed to delete once you are sure you don't need that.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That software is just some utilities that SanDisk provides. Probably some data encryption utility and maybe data recovery. Personally, I never use those utilities and just delete the files.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks