What's new

Need a little help interpreting the results from a glucose tolerance test? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
My doctor requested I take a glucose tolerance test because a score of 103 that came back for blood work I had done for a complete physical. I had fasted for 10 hours prior, per the doctor’s instructions for the physical. I also fasted for 10 hours for the tolerance test. Here’s how the tolerance test was administered. After fasting for 10-12 hours minimum, they draw blood prior to giving you the sugar drink. One hour after the sugar drink they draw blood again. Another hour later, they draw blood for a third time. The results were as follows: 1. (87) 2. (120) 3. (106). The women that I spoke with from the lab could not answer my questions regarding the second and third numbers. All she could tell me was that the first reading was normal and I had nothing to worry about. I left a message for a callback from the doctors nurse but this office is notorious for slow callbacks. I understand the first reading is normal and I’m very happy about that! But, I’m curious to know how good, bad or normal are the 2nd and 3rd numbers? Also, how can I score a perfectly normal 87 this time, when just two weeks ago I scored a borderline 103? Both times I fasted for a 10 hours and drank water only. Thanks for reading my long post, and any insight would be appreciated.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Have you read this page?

Glucose tolerance test

As I said last time: lab error and variability. You're fine; don't make yourself sick worrying.

Did you know? In the cat, blood glucose can elevate to over 200 mg/dl just from the stress of being restrained for blood drawing? This is because of the hyperglycemic effect of catecholamines.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
My mother is diabetic and strangely enough we were just having this conversation this morning.

My mother checked my blood sugar levels with her home test kit and my level was 144. Normal levels should be between 90 - 120. If your levels are higher than that you may want to go back to your doctor for more tests to make sure that you are not diabetic or have any other related issues.

Also check for other signs such as dry mouth, fatigue, sore muscles when you haven't done any sort of exercise or straining, swelling in your legs or arms...

I plan on going back to my doctor for further tests. Diabetes runs in my family on both sides and I have a high chance of having it.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Julian: No I haven't, but I'm printing it now. Thanks for the link and "Howdy' Neighbor!"

Lanie: That's pretty high, you should check it again after fasting for 10 hours and see if it's still that high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks