What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

NCAA College Football 2007 (1 Viewer)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
betooz, exactly how did Auburn get jobbed? Up until Oklahoma and USC played in the National Championship game, there was absolutely nothing to suggest both teams didn't belong there. Oklahoma was averaging about 50 point a game, had just waxed Colorado something like 59-3 in their Conference Championship (something USC doesn't even have to play), and right before the game, people who had been touting USC all year long suddenly picked Oklahoma to win the game. Did OU play horribly and get dismantled by USC? Absolutely. Would Auburn have fared better? Who knows. That's why we need a playoff. At least for the title game.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You made the point for him when you said we need a playoff. If we didn't need a playoff, teams wouldn't get jobbed.

The reason we need a playoff is because teams are getting jobbed.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I'm not 'betooz', but I'd like to answer that question: Auburn played and beat three Top Ten teams during the course of the 2004 regular season; and then had to play one of them again in the SEC Championship game! They beat two of those Top Ten teams by double digits; and one of those games was played on the road! In contrast, Oklahoma played only one Top Ten team in the regular season; and Colorado was barely above .500 when they played them in their Championship Game.

But the bottom line is that the current BCS National Championship Playoff System can only accomodate two teams. And Oklahoma had started the season Ranked Number 2 and never lost. Auburn, starting at Number 17 in the rankings that year, never had a chance!

*** Edit *** Not that it matters, but for the record Oklahoma averaged closer to 35 polnts/game in 2004. But in most of the games they played against ranked opponents, they averaged giving up around 28 points! Auburn, on the other hand, led the nation in scoring defense that year, holding even Top Ten ranked teams to under 10 points.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
You're right, Joseph. It was 2003 that Oklahoma was averaging approximately 50 points a game, with either two or three shut outs. Then they lost to Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship. Sometimes winning a bunch of awards can really hurt you, cause I think your players run around the country accepting awards and really lose sight of the game, which should be what REALLY matters.

Shane, I'm well aware that I made his point for him when I said we need a playoff. I used to be against a playoff, because I believe the regular season doesn't carry as much weight if you have playoffs, but I think it's the ONLY fair way to see who's the best each year.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
OK, I just checked. OU had only ONE shut out in 2003. Dang, my memory is bad. In the regular season, they averaged 48.33 yards per game, including 65-13 over Texas. In contrast, OU's opponents in the regular season only averaged 13 points a game, even though 4 teams scored 20+. Of course, none of that means anything if you lose your conference championship and the title game. That was just heartbreaking. I don't wanna talk about it. LOL.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Joseph, in 2004, OU's opponents in the regular season and the Big 12 Conference Title game averaged only 13.6 points a game as well. Two teams scored 35 points against OU, and the average for the year was still only 13.6 points. I realize you're talking about ranked opponents, but also keep in mind that the one top ten team they beat, they shut out and had just beated them for the fifth year in a row. In fact, most of those years, Oklahoma was the only game Texas lost each year.

OU also averaged over 42 points a game in 2004, even taking to account scoring only 12 points against Texas in a shutout, and scoring only 19 against USC.

Yes, they lost. Yes, none of it matters if you lose, I'm just giving full disclosure.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm very excited about this weekend's game between Nebraska and USC; the most I've been since Callahan was hired.

Reasons I think Nebraska will win tomorrow night:

1) NU, overall, is better than last year while I believe USC isn't as good as last year.

2) USC will be rusty. They've only played one game against Idaho, and they didn't play sharp. While bye weeks can be good later on in the season, this early actually works against teams, not allowing them to get used to playing at game speed and gelling.

3) The atmosphere will definitely be in Nebraska's favor. Cool temperatures and a frenzied crowd will be waiting for the Trojans. USC is used to being everyone's big game (like Nebraska used to be for 40 years) but are they ready for essentially a bowl game this early?!

Reasons while Nebraska won't win tomorrow night.....

1, 2, and 3: Callahan.

(in all honestly, if USC plays sharp, they will win. But if they try to stumble their way through the game, the Huskers have more than enough talent to capture the win.)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Kevin, tomorrow night, for only the second time in my life, I'm a Nebraska fan. The first time was USC-Nebraska last year. However, I don't think Nebraska will win. I think they'll keep it very close for a while and maybe even lead at one point, but I don't think they'll pull it out. Boy, do I hope I'm wrong.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

You may be right about the outcome, but I do disagree with one point:

I don't see any evidence of that. Of course if they lose tomorrow, then that may be the case. But at this point, there's really no evidence or logical reason to assume that USC isn't as good as last year. At this point, that belief is just wishful thinking on your part.

I do think this will be a pivotal game, because it will show not just how good USC is, but how motivated they are. To me that's the more important issue. I don't really doubt that they are great, but you never can tell if a great team is actually going to show up and try their best. For USC to stay #1 in the polls they have to do more than just beat Nebraska, they have to do so convincingly. And that won't just be hard, it's going to take a full out effort. Here's hoping Pete has them ready to give that.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU LSU... did I mention I am for LSU?

htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch! Michigan got their ship righted in a hurry and Notre Dame's just keeps on sinking. I don't think the Irish are going to win a game until Navy on November 3rd.

Ohio State pulls away from Washington in the 2nd half. I expected a more competitive game from Washington.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
So now the season's starting quarterbacks for Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis' teams are no longer with them. Sheesh.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
damn Texas and Ohio State had to go and pull wins out of their asses, though washington played great defense the first half, their offense was shut down pretty effectively. I could see Texas dropping out of the top ten this week, and if UCLA moves up into the top ten, that would make three top ten games in a row for Washington (Ohio State, UCLA, USC), ouch.

edit: I just saw the score on the UCLA game (didn't realize it had started, not on TV in LA). OUCH! so much for them moving into the top ten.

as espn.com currently says, woe and three for notre dame. so good to see them so low, just because they're so consistently overrated.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Words cannot describe how bad Notre Dame is. This is the worst Irish team I've ever seen -- they make the Gerry Faust era teams look like national champs by comparison. They did not even come close to scoring on a Michigan defense that couldn't stop anyone the first two weeks, while the Wolverine rushing attack just ran right over their defense. Michigan's freshman QB only completed seven passes for 90 yards in the blowout.

They may not even score an offensive touchdown until that game. :laugh:

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i would just like to take this chance to request a moment of silence for the auburn tigers 2007 season.

war eagle, my friends. war eagle.

Jason L.

Second Unit
This will never happen - Mack Brown would start crying, whining, and begging the AP voters to move his team up the polls like he did a few years ago. [Picture Jimmy Swaggart's apology]. No one wants to see that again.

I didn't realize that Vince Young left the NFL, enrolled at Oregon and became their starting QB against Michigan. That performance was scary. I will be very afraid when USC goes up to Eugene.

Thumbs up to the Nebraska fans. The ovation they gave the USC player who was carted off the field was classy.

I am finding the "Who's #1" talk as premature and exhausting as the 2008 presidential race. Just win, and everything will take care of itself.

It is a shame that strength of schedule is no longer part of the BCS formula. Teams are going back to scheduling cupcakes again which serves no purpose. In my mind - if you play a 1-AA team or a team that is not in a major conference - you automatically go down 5 spots in the polls.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

The season is *not* over!! We still have the little matter of the Iron Bowl left to play. And there will be a lot of interesting "exhibition" games between now and that last week in November. If we can get some of our "walking wounded" and suspended players back by then, and get new QB Kodi Burns better acclimated to the offense, we'll still have at least a chance to keep our Iron Bowl streak alive!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Overall, USC was impressive in their win over Nebraska, although I'm still waiting to see the passing game (Patrick Turner was in Lincoln wasn't he? If so, he was invisible).

Texas continues to benefit from Mack Brown's pact with the devil. That's the only explanation for why they don't have at least 1 loss at this point. They've barely beaten 2 cupcakes (1-1 Arkansas State, 1-1 UCF) and their other game so far was against a team that didn't look like a cupcake on paper, but is turning out to be worse than the cupcakes (1-2 TCU). And next week, they play the biggest cupcake on their schedule, 0-3 Rice. I'd love to see Rice 1-3 next Sunday, but somehow Mack will do something slimy to slip by them. Book 'em Horns!

My current top 10:

1LSU
2USC
3FLORIDA
4OHIO STATE
5OKLAHOMA
6WEST VIRGINIA
7CINCINNATI
8ALABAMA
9CALIFORNIA
10TEXAS

At this point, I can't drop UT out of the top 10, cause as long as they're undefeated, and Mack's there, they're a real threat to sleaze their way to a victory over powerhouse Rice and remain unbeaten. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks